Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hurricane Irma

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Re: Hurricane Irma

Postby tex » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Beautiful, but kind of frightening. The Weather Channel pointed out that we're really only half way through hurricane season. They said that we're not out of the woods yet, and even though October is less active, there still is a (2nd peak) in October when quite a few storms developed in the Gulf and had to cross land to get out. In other words, you should be fearful and continue to watch the Weather Channel (and their sponsors commercials) for the foreseeable future. I know it sounds cynical, but I think the busy hurricane season has made another egotistical monster out of the Weather Channel, just like CNN and Fox News.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:53 pm

I do watch the weather channel once a storm has been identified but not 24/7 as I monitor on the NHC website and Wunderground website, plus News 13. THe hyperbole gets too much at times and words like 'might', çould' abound together with 'barelling', tearing''and ''rampaging' join in as well. Add to that the'resident forecaster twit of the day standing outside in wind and rain whilst telling everyone else to evacuate NOW.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby bobbymo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 am

I also use Wunderground Radar and the NOAA NHC. I have two Wunderground stations close by and they have been very accurate. I also use 2 of the NOAA Tides & Currents stations that give pinpoint data. These have all been very accurate and use the most major radar sources in the area.
I stayed aboard for Matthew and for Irma. Judging by all the area damage, power outs, and flooding, I have to say that I really was better off on the boat, plus I would not have been able to get back to the boat had I left. No trees fell on the marina.
My generator was fully operational and apparently I had "Certifiable" tied and fendered very well. Lucky yes, but prepared.
The only issue here was the storm surge and higher tides; but once the winds shifted, we were all relieved.
I stopped watching the local news and even the Weather Channel. I find my sources to be much more accurate, and without all the multi-colored spaghetti charts and storm hype. I know they don't want to be caught short, but it seems that the reality of the storm has always been different than their personality shows.
Irma was particularly bad because all of the Western FL people thought she was going to turn North along the Eastern coast. So when Irma turned for the Western Coast, the folks over there had to deal with the already jammed roads leading out of Florida.
I leave all my canvas on and cushioned the eisenglas with a bunch of lines and throw pillows. Survived both storms. I think the boat was more aerodynamic, but then, we are also in a very good hurricane hole here. Irma's winds topped around 70 mph.
Good friends of mine lost their boats and many were damaged. I consider myself lucky.
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 am

With Matthew we had just closed the sale of our boat a week earlier. We were cajoled into leaving our condo home by threats of ''bridges over the ICW will be closed' plus family members sending continuous messages afte they watchedthe weather channel or dramatic news clips. Because of the traffic, we could not get out of Florida, we were headed to Alabama, all elsewas on Matthews predicted track. After two nights sleeping in the car at reststops with hundreds of others we called 'home' to find those that stayed and the building was just fine. We turned back for home, which took us close to the storm's then position and made for a very interesting drive dodging downed trees, power poles etc plus playing Russian roulette at every junction because no traffic lights were working. When we got back to Daytona, the police had the bridges to 'beach side closed' so we ended up sleeping again in the car, choosing the marina parking area as they had security patrols and working restrooms which we still had a key to open. At first light I went to check on the boat, took many pictures to show it totally unscratched and sent these to the new owners. Ironically power came back at the marina at 2am, home, when we eventually got there not for another several days. The new owners of our boat, we found out later, tried to scam the insurers with damage claims but were thwarted by their original surveyor who refused point blank to cooperate. :evil:

Lesson learned, with Irma we stayed put at home again no damage at all to the building, the dock or even the new fences replaced after Matthew, the water level in the ICW raised up for 2 days but did not reach the building even the ground floor places ( we are on 3rd floor). Power came back after 17 hours but phone and internet took another week almost. So we got off lightly.

I spent over 20 years working for a Spanish company with a factory in Puerto Rico and representing them across mainland USA. I had many friends an aquaintances in and around San Juan even though the factory itself closed some 7 years ago with all production reverting to Madrid, Spain. I am very angry about the pathetic treatment of Puerto Rico and it's AMERICAN citizens since IRMA and Maria, but will not comment further as it becomes too political. :cry:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Return to “Weather Talk”