Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hurricane Irma

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Hurricane Irma

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:39 pm

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobile/ar ... -469600131
Latest shows 40% chance it hits in the Virginia area, 30% misses completely and 20% she passes south of Fla....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Re: Hurricane Irma

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:42 pm

And you can see the remains of Harvey passing me here in N. Fla
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

Postby tex » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Looks like they're bending the cone of possibility a bit more easterly. Depending on the size of the storm, it could be a no issue for the Gulf side, but there's still a threat to Capt Charlie and the Carolinas.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Robin
Has Liked: 107 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 pm

[urlhttps://][/url][imghttps://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201711_ensmodel.gif][/img]
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Robin

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:51 pm

OOPS I CANNOT POST THE IMAGES I WANTED AND CANNOT DELETE THIS POST APPARENTLY. tRY tHIS LINK

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... icane-irma

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:01 pm

I like those tracks.. Only ONE shows it hitting me...... But will wait 3 days to get a better feel.....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:29 pm

No point in Irma dropping in on you, Matthew got there first! You would be at risk more if reconstruction was complete. ( law of Sodde). Problem is if you leave, where to? Matthew had us driving for 11 hrs to get nowhere ( still in Florida) and spending 3 nights sleeping in the car, whereas those who stayed faired much better except for no power.

Robin

Postby Robin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 am

Bugger! This morning's update albeit way out still, has it targeting SW Florida after passing over the Keys. We ran from Matthew but most in our condo stayed and had no probs with Matthew other than power outages. We can cook or make coffees on a packaway camp stove but having no aircon is my biggest concern over a long period-yuk. WE can get internet over cellphone tethering as we did in Matthew and learned when on the run that charging phones in the car only works if the ignition is on, not even on accessory position. As a result I bought a couple of battery recharge packs to recharge our phones, 1200maH cost about $25 each through Walmart online, recommended solution once charged up will recharge each phone several times also provides a LED flashlight.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Yup, I'll make my final decision Wens night/Thurs morning...... Will check on getting hauled out here or head into Jacksonville to my old marina, which is 35 miles inland and the only problem would be storm surge.... IF I can be hauled here (my best bet, they do LIKE me a lot) that would be easier.... But who knows... Boat and the marina did great with Matthew, but how many times can you "luck out"...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Robin

Postby Robin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 pm

We don't have the boat like last year, sold it a week before Matthew which it survived unscathed and unscratched. When we returned from our runaway the police would not et us cross the ICW bridges to get home and we slept in the car another night, this time in the marina parling lot. The pwer came back on at 2 am in the marina but not for another 8 days when we finally got home. The boat would have been a better bet, with power working and aircon on board. I do wish our condo Complex would invest in a generator....

Here's hoping for better news tomorrow that IRMA has a hot date elsewhere. :mrgreen:

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 93 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Postby RTB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:52 pm

The forecast changes drastically everyday. Not sure what to expect right now, but still plan to hunker down here at the marina on the boat.....or in the yacht club drinking cheap beer and wine. Probably a bit of both between rain. We will have a hurricane preparedness meeting at 6 pm here on Thursday. Hopefully, we have a real feel of what to expect by then. Haven't looked at storm surge predictions yet. Not much we can do about that anyway. Windfinder shows winds in the upper 70's here on Monday....but shows higher winds every day I look at it. Pretty much in line with passageweather. Tropical Tidbits (which I love)leaves one with various possibilities, and no idea of where the storm is going for now. Got a link from Chris Parker from a friend but haven't had a look yet. Cheers for now. Stay safe Y'all!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Latest Wunderground poll of polls suggests a slapping for east Florida and a poke in the eye for Georgia.

We went to collect some water from Wally world this morning. Found my favourite flavoured fizzy stuff ok but Theresa's plain old tap water in a designer label bottle was all gone and the shelves were completely empty. found some bulk bottles on sale to fill culligan water from a dispenser in store into and that with what we put by in empty soda bottles will keep the coffees going using a filter cone/filters and water heated up on a portable camp stove.

tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Most of us here are staring down a potential disaster. This storm is so big that the only real help is going to come from another equally powerful natural event like the jet stream. This waiting to find out who's going to get it worse feels like Russian roulette.

tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm

These models were on Wunderground at 9 PM Tuesday evening.
Attachments
image.jpg

Robin

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post These models were on Wunderground at 9 PM Tuesday evening.

That looks a little better IF indeed it goes that way, but the winds even 60 miles from that beast and the surge will surely do much damage along the way and then when Florida is left behind others still have trouble coming, reminiscent of Sandy. :(

Return to “Weather Talk”