Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

A Different View of Tropical Storms

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

A Different View of Tropical Storms

Postby CaptForce » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Nancie and I received a voice mail from Tex today asking about our concerns with the approach of Florence. Our "dirt" home is in North Florida and we are safe from Florence, but safer still from all the tropical storms compared to our life aboard our ketch.
It interests me that I have so little concern about tropical storms now. We are still enjoying the benefits of little ownership ashore just as we were free from ownership while aboard our boat, but of course, back then we did own the boat. If we were to flee further inland from the threat of a serious storm today, I would be able to carry all that I have concerns with saving in the trunk of my car and drive away without any concern for what may be left.
We are renting a "small" apartment on a little lake and the space still seems huge to us. Nothing holds us here. I hope all of your aboard remain as free from storm threats and burdens, take care and joy, Stewart
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Re: A Different View of Tropical Storms

Postby tex » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 pm

I don’t know what made me think you were in NC, but it’s really good to hear from you. We’re still tied down here in Sarasota with boats and cats and a full house and a 20 x 40 storage (full). We’re down to one house though. :?

I bet Robin is celebrating his move to the UK more than ever!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 am

tex wrote:Source of the post I don’t know what made me think you were in NC, but it’s really good to hear from you. We’re still tied down here in Sarasota with boats and cats and a full house and a 20 x 40 storage (full). We’re down to one house though. :?

I bet Robin is celebrating his move to the UK more than ever!

You bet, we had 40kt winds last night and a monstrous 3 inch ripple rocked the boat. Had to turn off the electric blanket even though on it's lowest setting. months supply of prescriptions arrive yesterday totally 'free'. our groceries are delivered right to the boat twice a week by Asda which is UK arm of wally world
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

tex

Postby tex » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 am

[quote="[url=http://www.life-aboard.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=115]Robin[

You bet, we had 40kt winds last night and a monstrous 3 inch ripple rocked the boat. Had to turn off the electric blanket even though on it's lowest setting. months supply of prescriptions arrive yesterday totally 'free'. our groceries are delivered right to the boat twice a week by Asda which is UK arm of wally world[/quote]

Surely, you must have a water leak, an inoperative bilge pump or at the very least, a recalcitrant neighbor. :(

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 pm

well it started raining just as milady walked to the laundry room, not best pleased even though it lasted only 5 minutes :o
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

ka8uet
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Hey, CF, you aren't far from me. I"m currently docked at Amelia Harbor Marina, on Amelia Island. Have been living aboard since June 2 of last year, with small trip north to handle some stuff last fall/winter. Came back to the boat in Feb. and have been here ever since. Ended up here because of Irma, since there looked to be no good hurricane holes noorth of here, and Charlie Freeman recommended staying put, whic I did through Irma and her following friends. When it was announced that the Erie Canal would close in September instead of October, it was clear to me that I wouldn't get there in time, so I left the boat here, still stripped and hurricane prepped, and went north. Then had to wait out several blizzards before getting a weather window to come back. So, if you get a chance, come on over. There's a good restaurant here.

tex

Postby tex » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:40 pm

It’s about time you showed up, Helen. We’re particularly happy to know you are aboard the Americat. What did you decide to name her? Did you bring your puppy and lawn mower? What about the status of Mom?

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:05 am

Lawn mower is in OHio, dog is with me, of course. She was immediately at home aboard the boat. Had to go back to Ohio last year via car, since the Erie Canal shut down in Sept., rather than Oct. So dog and I drove back inearly Oct., returned to boat in early Feb. Longer than expected break because of bad weather. SNow, ice, I can handle. Snow and/or ice on vertical geography, not so much. Freezing rain is a no no.

tex

Postby tex » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Got a message from the owners of a sister Krogen Manatee 36 “Swanee” today that their boat is missing and suspected to be sunk after their Neuse River marina came apart in Friday’s surge. The Dockmaster told them the docks were gone and he didn’t know where any of the boats were. This would be the second lost Manatee, almost to the day we learned about the last one lost in Irma a year ago.
Attachments
3F35A654-7091-4326-B26D-F93ACCFAA437.jpeg
Swanee on the St. Lucie River in 2014

scallywag
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Lost dock in Matthew and had it repaired. Lost dock in Irma and it is still not repaired. Scallywag has some paint missing but it could have been worse. Still working on the homestead. As one becomes older, one becomes slower. I still have dreams but reality must set in someday. I still want to replace the diesel and cruise. :?:

Dot and John

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 pm

It is so sad to hear of whole marinas full of boats all missing or sunk. So many people losing their homes. :(

Return to “Weather Talk”