Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Consequences of Florence

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Consequences of Florence

Postby tex » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 am

I was waiting to hear the bad news from a friend who kept his boat in New Bern, NC, and I got it on Thursday. His Insurance Surveyor called to report that his beloved Krogen Manatee 36 (similar to mine) was found not too far from where his slip once was, but upside down, probably still tethered to much of the wreckage from the marina. Sad, but probably not that uncommon in that area. The salvage guys probably have a lot of work to do.

Meanwhile, another friend in still another Krogen Manatee 36 is southbound in the ICW in NC right now. The stuff coming down the rivers is making a normally safe passage int a risky one indeed. So far, so good, but those rivers already deliver some surprises in channel drifts without having to worry about semi-submerged pilings and rope. Channel markers are likely to be off. It could be like that for quite some time. My Admiral and I will be reading Active Captain as our plan is to launch on the loop in Spring. Updates are a must for those running the Carolina ICW gauntlet.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Re: Consequences of Florence

Postby RTB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 pm

I got an update from a friend at New Bern Grand Marina. Although they came through mostly, there were a few boats that sank. Big problems there though. No electric for maybe 2 months, since their transformers were under 6-8' of water. They have no operating restrooms and showers, no garbage collection, no wifi, no pumpout. I assume no fuel. It would be pretty tough living on a boat there right now. I know River Dunes in Oriental did ok, but another marina there not so much. I think water is still rising in some places, and I agree that travelling the ICW would be a huge challenge....and likely unsafe for now. I know things are ok from here to Charleston, since a few boats have returned there after hiding here for Florence.

We'll get reports once the transient season starts, and boats start making their way south. I expect a slow start for most, if they even attempt it this season. By next spring, there should be plenty information available to plan a trip north. We get many, many Loopers through here, so you won't be alone. Lots of info out there - https://www.waterwayguide.com/hurricane ... 09-19-2018
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

ka8uet
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 pm

New Bern really got slammed. Active Captain and Facebook posts mention lots of debris and some bridge problems.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:48 am

I just got this text from our friends coming south on the ICW in NC. I asked him about debris and water levels:

ICW CLOSED between Little River,SC and Georgetown .SC. We are now in Beaufort,NC. We will be in Southport ,NC on the 29th and wait there for ICW to open back up. The problem is high water from the PEE DEE RIVER and the WACCAMAW RIVER being up and emptying into the ICW and raising the water level 8-9 ft.
Channel markers are in place and very little debris.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Just got a text from our friends southbound on the ICW, trying to get through NC. Looks like things are still a mess up there. Here’s his message:

ICW?, It’s closed from Myrtle Beach to Socastee . We’re going out in the Atlantic to bypass it.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 pm

I've been monitoring that in the Bob 432 site. They still have portions of the ICW closed, and there are reports of debris in the Chesapeake.

Return to “Weather Talk”