Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hurricane Michael?

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Hurricane Michael?

Postby RTB » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:07 am

Heads up on the Gulf Coast! NHC calling it a hurricane in a few days.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

tex
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 165 times

Re: Hurricane Michael?

Postby tex » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 pm

I hate to sound positive, but I can’t help but wonder if Michael is just what the Doctor ordered to shake up the red tide. :?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

tex

Postby tex » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Here we go again. Now calling for a Cat 2 and the models are bending eastward. Surge, rain, and now wind could be an issue, especially for Janice & I over on this side of FL. :|

ka8uet
Has Liked: 152 times
Been Liked: 28 times

Postby ka8uet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 am

'Tis an ill wind----maybe he will break up the red tide while he's at it!

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 pm

I hope that you and Janice and all the others on the west coast of Florida and all the other effected areas stay safe.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 149 times

Postby Robin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 pm

My thoughts are with you all. We had 24 hours of cold gale force winds over the weekend and non-stop rain that rocked us around even in an enclosed basin behind lock gates in our marina 2 miles upriver from open water. Boats in the Channel Islands had NE 60 mph winds and swell going straight in the entrance to their marinas with docks doing a Mexican wave. All quiet now there thankfully and nothing like a hurricane just typically nasty equinoctial gales. Glad not to have to hurricane watch now we are back in UK but sympathy to all that will need to. Stay safe y'all.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

tex

Postby tex » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:32 am

Hmm. Michael’s path is taking a bit of a hook to the left, keeping safe distance from a lot of us on the SW and central Gulf Coast. Surge shouldn’t be more than a couple feet, winds no problem. Lots of rain and maybe a tornado threat, but nothing like they are facing in Panama City and Apalachicola. Potential 12 ft surge there with Cat 3 winds.....God help ‘em.

Topic author
RTB

Postby RTB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Wishing all well with Michael!

Here at our marina, the Gulf storms cause us the greatest problems. Being on the right side, we see moderately strong winds from the south. There is a 2 1/2 mile fetch from the south for us...our biggest threat. I have parked about 18 boats in the last 2 days. Today's task was to clear dock one, our transient dock which becomes the breakwater for the rest of the marina. Expecting 35 knot winds from the south with 3' waves on Thursday morning. Moving anything important from the dock office tomorrow, and closing off the fuel
to the dock. Hopefully, Friday, move back in and be back to business as usual. Only a tropical storm warning for us, so not a big deal. Just a lot of work for 12 hours of wind from the wrong direction.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

tex

Postby tex » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 pm

The storm continues to gain strength, now saying it could get to Cat 4, but I thought we’d be seeing a decline in tide by now, but the waves are huge. The beach on the Gulf side is already covered to the dunes and the waves keep getting bigger. King tide is at 1:30 AM or so, our docks will be under by that time. North side of the Island was flodded by 2 PM, and the waves will probably be coming over the road (built on a berm) by midnight. When the storm goes further north, we’ll be getting winds from the west, which will probably push the waves into many communities. Wind is no issue for damage, but wave action is probably going to take much of the beaches and flood a lot of garages and 1st floor condos. Wind is from the south now and waves are already at or over our one main north/south road in many places. The surge is nothing compared to wave action. I feel for those poor folks on the panhandle.

scallywag
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:18 pm

I also feel for the recipients of Michael. Still working on repairs from Matthew. Real Estate sales are slow because of the fear of flooded properties. New homes have to be built higher than 6 feet above ground level. This is not accurate because ground level changes with the lot. With global warming tides will be higher and flooding will become normal. Oh well.... :roll:

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:24 pm

We now have a confirmed tornado in Clay county, warnings have been extended to southern Nassau county. This is a confirmed tornado on the ground.

tex

Postby tex » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Rising this morning, the tide withdraw saved a much more flodded situation here. Only one tornado warning this afternoon and high tide came after most of the wind gave up, so outside of egos, street flooding and beach erossion, no irreparable damage here.

I wonder how long it will take for the panhandle towns to recover. What a mess up there, and it’s still going at 9PM. Long time residents lost big time. Tourist economy could be really hurt. Investors must be asking questions. Does anyone know if there are substantial live-aboard communities in the damaged areas?

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm

We didn't get much except rain, and high water. High tide was almost to the top of the bulkhead. My friend at home was listening, not looking, and kept hearing the news talk about the panhandle and the big bend. He associates those with Texas, so imagine his surprise to note that the hurricane came ashore in Florida! He had a hard time figuring it out, thought it had made a hard right turn! I explained to him that Florida also has a panhandle and a big bend, and then it made sense to him. We are really very visual animals! I hope this breaks up the red tide for you. It should do some good for SOMEBODY! The pictures of Mexico Beach, where the center came ashore, show what looks like total destruction.

Topic author
RTB

Postby RTB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Is Janice in the Tampa area? I forget again. I hope she is ok!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

tex

Postby tex » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post Is Janice in the Tampa area? I forget again. I hope she is ok!

Janice is near St. Pete. She knows how to anchor snd tie up in a storm, hiding in the mangroves, etc. After what happened in Irma, I doubt you could get her off Seaweed in any conditions. :o

Return to “Weather Talk”