Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello From Canada

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
act1966
Your Vessel Info: Currently looking for a 1989 Hatteras 74 CPMY
Has Liked: 1 time

Hello From Canada

Postby act1966 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 am

Hi Everyone:

I'm located in Toronto, Ontario. My spouse and I are currently researching the prospect of living aboard and giving up our house. We're planning on living in the spring/summer months in Toronto and then the winters in the Caribbean (a house in the Caribbean, not a boat).

We're looking at a 1989 Hatteras 74 CPMY as a possibility but nothing in stone yet. We definitely want to read about your experiences living aboard in colder climates and what type of boat you're living on - the good, the bad and the waterlogged.

We will also have our dog living with us - he's a PBGV so not too big but his personality makes up for what he lacks in stature!

Take care,

act1966

scallywag
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Re: Hello From Canada

Postby scallywag » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Welcome! There are many experienced live aboard people here. I am a land animal. Wishing to be a water animal. Wishing you well.

John

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

Postby tex » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm also a land animal until March when the plan is to be full time cruising and living aboard. A Hatt 74 is a monster of a live aboard.....hard to imagine that one should be missing any creature comforts there. By contrast, we'll be living in the tiny confines of something about the size of your back deck. Best of luck in your search and welcome to the Forum.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 93 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Postby RTB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:02 pm

I join John and tex in welcoming you. I don't know of any active members here north of Georgia or the Carolinas. It's cold enough for us here. I have met many Canadians on boats heading south. I guess they don't like the cold either. I'm betting that spring and summer is very nice in Toronto.

My wife and I sold our home in Texas back in 2012, and have lived aboard since with no regrets. Well, cold weather does create some unpleasantness, with moisture, condensation, and the possibility of fighting off mold. We are on a 36' sailboat. No pets aboard after leaving our son with our 24 pound cat named Max.

Best wishes with your plans! Let us know how it goes.

Ralph
Last edited by RTB on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Postby CaptForce » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to hearing more about the PBGV. I'm going to guess,- "Pretty Big Ground Vole", but my wife is going with, "Pedigreed Boston Green Vixen". We're interested in your search for the summer boat. Keep us posted and let us know which of us guessed correctly about the PBGV.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
act1966

Postby act1966 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:10 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post Welcome! There are many experienced live aboard people here. I am a land animal. Wishing to be a water animal. Wishing you well.

John

Thanks, John.

Topic author
act1966

Postby act1966 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post I'm also a land animal until March when the plan is to be full time cruising and living aboard. A Hatt 74 is a monster of a live aboard.....hard to imagine that one should be missing any creature comforts there. By contrast, we'll be living in the tiny confines of something about the size of your back deck. Best of luck in your search and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks, Tex. Yeah... space was high on the "need to have" list.

Topic author
act1966

Postby act1966 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post I join John and tex in welcoming you. I don't know of any active members here north of Georgia or the Carolinas. It's cold enough for us here. I have met many Canadians on boats heading south. I guess they don't like the cold either. I'm betting that spring and summer is very nice in Toronto.

My wife and I sold our home in Texas back in 2012, and have lived aboard since with no regrets. Well, cold weather does create some unpleasantness, with moisture, condensation, and the possibility of fighting off mold. We are on a 36' sailboat. No pets aboard after leaving our son with our 24 pound cat named Max.

Best wishes with your plans! Let us know how it goes.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. Will do.

Topic author
act1966

Postby act1966 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 pm

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to hearing more about the PBGV. I'm going to guess,- "Pretty Big Ground Vole", but my wife is going with, "Pedigreed Boston Green Vixen". We're interested in your search for the summer boat. Keep us posted and let us know which of us guessed correctly about the PBGV.

Thanks, CaptForce. We always tell people it stands for, "Please Bring Good Vino" or just "Please Bring Vino" for short. I hear rumours that boating people might enjoy one or maybe two drinks occasionally...?

tex

Postby tex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:28 pm

With a Hatt 74 for a residence, the average PBGV might go unnoticed if it weren't for the bark.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Topic author
act1966

Postby act1966 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 am

tex wrote:Source of the post With a Hatt 74 for a residence, the average PBGV might go unnoticed if it weren't for the bark.

Very true. Ours demanded a forward stateroom with private head and something called a "Treat-O-Matic" which I'm sure is something nautical that we haven't come across yet.

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:36 am

Ok, I "googled" it and found that it's a Petit Bassett Griffon Vendeen. 'not surprised that the acronym is used. It's a real cutie, but not a breed that I had ever known.

Was it Groucho Marx who said, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, ...... inside the dog, it's too dark to read!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 pm

They want a HATTERAS.... Means they are wise and classy people, like ALL Hatteras people are.... Lots of knowledge on this site, but kidding each other is also known to happen, usually by Ralph and Tex.. Oh and CaptForce......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:52 am

I love dogs! ....'even the Hatteras.

tex

Postby tex » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 am

Aside from the many benefits of the design, I will say this about Hatteri. If you are a Captain that crashes into a lot of things (not to mention any names here), the Hatteras would be a quality choice of boats. :roll:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”