Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

another Canadian!

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
christopher
Your Vessel Info: sv Dharma Bum is a Pearson Pilothouse36
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 5 times

another Canadian!

Postby christopher » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

hi all,

I'm a liveaboard on Vancouver Island, test-driving my retirement plan with a year aboard my Pearson Pilothouse36. I've spent the last year and a half renovating Dharma Bum, after purchasing her in Washington State and importing her to the Great White North.

If there are others in the pnw looking to make the transition to life aboard, I'm happy to help provide info where I can

~ Christopher

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: another Canadian!

Postby RTB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Welcome! Nice post too. Currently, I think most active members here are in Florida. A couple of others, but could use some new members. I'm in Georgia on a river...we have a resident manatee, dolphins now and then, pelicans and egrets, sea turtles, and river otters. Oh, marshland complete with mosquitoes and no-seeums! Is it different where you are?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post Welcome! Nice post too. Currently, I think most active members here are in Florida. A couple of others, but could use some new members. I'm in Georgia on a river...we have a resident manatee, dolphins now and then, pelicans and egrets, sea turtles, and river otters. Oh, marshland complete with mosquitoes and no-seeums! Is it different where you are?

Ralph

Hi Ralph and thanks for the welcome :)

Most of the BC coast is much like the Alaska panhandle: steep cliffs, deep bays and forests down to the tideline. 80% is very remote and even the remaining 10% would seem lightly populated compared to the eastern seaboard. I'm about an hour north of the capital, Victoria. Here's a video of the area to give you a better feel for it:

https://youtu.be/aGedLcVsxNg

We have orcas, porpoises and otters, but no pelicans. Our rivers tend to shallow out very quickly inland, so not many are navigable from the sea. I haven't been to Georgia since 2003 but have good recollections of very friendly folks :)

~ christopher

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Postby CaptForce » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:38 am

Christopher, welcome to the community. 'a beautiful place you have there!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 am

thanks Capt :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Wow! Another ice cube. Where you live sounds beautiful. Welcome aboard. How high is the water temp. in the Summer?

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 pm

scallywag wrote:Wow! Another ice cube. Where you live sounds beautiful. Welcome aboard. How high is the water temp. in the Summer?
thanks Scally!

There are some coves where the summer water temps aren't too bad for bathing suit swimming, but from a Florida perspective, it's all cold water up here. Our average "shallow" anchorage up here runs 40' deep, so there are very few places where the sun has a chance to heat more than the top 2" of water. On the plus side, bottom growth on the hull is a lot less than what you are all probably used to.

Despite the chilly temps and infamous PNW rain, I think that the big draw to cruising up here is the ability to really get away from others and be on your own. Imagine being the only person in a 50-mile radius, with an inlet all to yourself, for days on end.

~ Christopher

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Beautiful...Wow...Years ago, Florida was untouched. Today, due to the invention of airconditioning, this place is crowded. Enjoy while you can.

John

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:51 pm

I need to buy another boat on the West Coast, and keep the one here in Georgia. One for winter, and one for the summer!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:58 pm

John wrote: Beautiful...Wow...Years ago, Florida was untouched. Today, due to the invention of air conditioning, this place is crowded. Enjoy while you can.

Too many people in Florida for me - I get itchy feet when in a room with more than 2 others in it.

Ralph wrote:I need to buy another boat on the West Coast, and keep the one here in Georgia. One for winter, and one for the summer!
Best of both worlds! :D

ka8uet
Has Liked: 130 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Postby ka8uet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

That means there are at least two of you Canadians on here. Welcome!

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 am

[/quote]
Too many people in Florida for me - ......................... [/quote]

Fortunately they tend to cluster in certain areas. There are still great opportunities for isolation if you are a cruiser.

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:25 am

ka8uet wrote: That means there are at least two of you Canadians on here. Welcome!
thanks! :D

CaptForce wrote:Fortunately they tend to cluster in certain areas. There are still great opportunities for isolation if you are a cruiser
those photos are lovely - where were they taken?

April is turning out to be only slightly less soggy than March was. I need 4 rain-free days so I can refinish the cockpit woodwork before installing my bimini. but so far we've not had two rain-free days in a row. Rather than varnish, I'm using six coats of Daly's Seafin Oil for all of my exterior woodwork.

Happy Easter!

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 pm

................ those photos are lovely - where were they taken? ...................

I remember taking the photo with the colorful "sunset" on the St. Johns River in NE Florida. This was actually a colorful sunrise. The headwaters of the St. Johns River have many natural crystal clear springs with an occasional alligator lounging on the bank. I don't recall where I took the second photo, but it could have been in SW Florida south of the Little Shark River. There are miles of desolate white sandy beach there that are within Everglades National Park and without access by car. There are no roads to this beach and many miles from any public boat ramp. It looks like the beach from Miami to Fort Lauderdale would have appeared 200 yeas ago.

Topic author
christopher

Postby christopher » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:08 pm

it's nice to hear that even in such a heavily populated area, there is still solitude to be found!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”