Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Turkey Dinner

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Turkey Dinner

Postby scallywag » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 pm

For all the liveaboards, do you cook a Thanksgiving Dinner of Ham or Turkey? :D

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Re: Turkey Dinner

Postby tex » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Always do the bird, but I’m kinda skitish about my old propane oven. Thinking that maybe I’d invest in one of those big slow cookers, set and go. I’m not into 20 pounders for lots of company or a week of left-overs. Usually I rather not think about turkey the next day. Ham sandwiches the next day, oh yeah!
Attachments
8EE927CE-791F-4956-AF5F-043F8FBC4AD7.jpeg
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 am

I deep fry 3 turkeys every Thanksgiving.... Never heard of eating ham on "turkey day" till a few years ago...Blasphemy!!! And for me IT'S ALL ABOUT the left overs.... Friday is a big plate of mashed tators, with cut up turkey in the gravy poured on top..... ( and BEER both days)
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Jaxfishgyd,

Do you fry the turkeys on the boat? I also love leftovers. No leftovers until Christmas. Maybe not even Christmas. My wife gives away the leftovers. We cook ham and turkey. Like both for leftovers. :lol:

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Being Brit, turkeys are for Christmas. Never done one on the boat as for just two it is cheaper and easier to go out and eat. We had an excellent TG dinner at Duff's newest buffet restaurant in Daytona. No leftovers is a downside but on the day we had really good turkey, roast beef and ham with an extra plate of baked fish and breaded shrimp. Had to forego the delightful salad bar to leave room as well as the pumpkin pie, although Theresa had two helpings of that as well. :o had home made sub rolls today with prosciutto and cheese albeit the prosciutto is only an American imitation of the real thing. We could have gone to the condo pitch in which we are told was excellent ( Turkey, ham and beef) but as last years nominated meat cook screwed up bigtime we took no chances.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Postby CaptForce » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 am

Robin wrote:Source of the post Being Brit, turkeys are for Christmas. ...............

We never had the space to cook a good sized turkey in our galley, but we would tuck two Cornish hens in our toaster oven. So, do the Brits call them Cornish hens as we do?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:13 am

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post
Robin wrote:Source of the post Being Brit, turkeys are for Christmas. ...............

We never had the space to cook a good sized turkey in our galley, but we would tuck two Cornish hens in our toaster oven. So, do the Brits call them Cornish hens as we do?

NOt named as such but plenty of tasty roasting varieties abound especially from France. Or there is the pheasant, partridge or Pidgeon option too, but a lot of oven size deprived folk would opt for a turkey crown, very good but no dark meat, like Dolly, all breast. :lol: Others decry turkey all together and buy a good roast like a large Fore Rib roast ( prime rib to you) or a whole fillet of beef, possibly cook as a beef Wellington, (covered with pate de fois and mushrooms, pastry and baked ( yum) Polish folk go for large (freshwater) carp and supermarkets usually have these too as there are a few poles about. We once went for a pair of fresh locally caught whole lobsters as a treat for a change. Turkey is relatively cheap and available all year so going expensive for a treat like fillet mignon or lobster is getting more common IF Theresa insists on turkey at thanksgiving ( brits do not celebrate it), the other options appeal more on Christmas.

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

[quote="scallywag"]Source of the post Jaxfishgyd,

Do you fry the turkeys on the boat? I also love leftovers. No leftovers until Christmas. Maybe not even Christmas. My wife gives away the leftovers. We cook ham and turkey. Like both for leftovers. :lol:[/quotes

I WANTED lots of leftovers..... One of my top joys of Thanksgiving is leftovers.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE on Friday to plop a huge pile of re heated up mashed tators on a plate, warm up the gravy with LOTS of bite size chunks of turkey in the in, then pour it all on the tators (which are slathered in butter).... Heck, I did THREE 15LB BIRDS.. But no, my admiral let it all stay at our daughter's house...... :shock:
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Postby tex » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:01 am

You’ve got a smart Admiral, she should do the same with the beer! :roll:
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Topic author
scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm

WE have cooked small turkey breasts in the propane oven. Wow! Good. Just wondering what others did. Thanks for the response.

John

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post You’ve got a smart Admiral, she should do the same with the beer! :roll:

Bite your tounge Tex...... It's why we've been married 46 yrs
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Late with a reply here, but turkey! We can't really do a turkey on the boat, but since we are at a marina, turkey is an option. We put it on the gas grill at the top of the dock. The smallish turkey was done in two hours. I also love the leftovers, and can eat turkey sandwiches endlessly!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
scallywag

Postby scallywag » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Good to hear from you Ralph. Glad you and Beverly had turkey for Thanksgiving. Have you grown accustomed to another income? Is the income tying you to the dock? :lol:

John and Dot

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm

The marina provided turkey, stuffing, and rolls for Thanksgiving. The boaters brought sides and desserts. 220 boaters took part! The turkey I grilled was given to me by the marina, so no lack of food around this place. Last year, I got a turkey, a ham, and sausage for Christmas. Hardly room in my little top load refrigerator.

I'm not accustomed to another income. I don't spend much of anything working 50 hour weeks. Beverly dips into my tip-money for lunch with friends, visits to the thrift store, the farmer's market....little things. I did splurge, and paid $60.00 for a like new bicycle that a boater sold me when they left to go south. I just like where I'm at right now. I meet plenty of interesting people and see some awesome boats that come through. But basically, I'm waiting for Beverly to say - "Ok Honey, you don't have to go to work anymore". Kris, my assistant dockmaster quit to go on a delivery to the BVI's on a big Leopard catamaran. She's have a great time, and reminds me of my trip with i2f. Beverly is boat/kitty watching for her until she returns. Kris plans to get her boat ready, and go cruising in February. She's been sitting at this marina for two years since she bought the boat here. Hopefully, after this next summer, we will resume our cruising life, for how long, I have no clue....

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin

Postby Robin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Glad to see you back on air, I was beginning to be concerned. Happy Christmas and New Year to you and Beverly, perhaps Santa will bring you a nice new trawler like the one we watched last night with Goldie in 'Overboard' :D

Return to “Living Aboard”