Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Making a Break To Land

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Making a Break To Land

Postby CaptForce » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I know I'm flipping the thread title, but I don't see a topic area that fits my question. Despite living on boats for 45 years I don't have much experience with selling a boat.

When I sold my first boat it was pretty much a "trade in" for a vessel that I bought new and when I bought my second boat I traded my boat boat plus cash. I was lucky to find someone with the 41' 1973 that wanted a 33' 1973 Morgan Out Island.

So, if I don't use a broker, what procedural advise would be recommended. Shall I proceed in the same manner as selling a car? Shall I produce a Bill of sale and sign the title over with the receipt of a big cashiers check?

I should probably take this question to my banker. I don't mind using a broker, but I don't have any reason to sell quickly or any concern about the presentation of my boat. Since I have an active, fully functional, cruising boat with everything working and a big selection of equipment, I think it would sell well for something around 60K. After all, it's not a boat that someone would need to spend any money on to make it work for them.

So, what are the safe procedures to follow in selling a big item such as this?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Re: Making a Break To Land

Postby scallywag » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:12 pm

With all the scammers out there, I would do all financial transactions at the bank. Yes, speak to your banker about what type of instrument to accept at the bank from the buyer. Even cash is not a secure transaction with bogus bills.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 am

SAD to hear you're moving back on land... end of an ERA..... But there does come "a time".... People tell me "you've lived on a boat for 17 yrs !!!" and I tell them about you with over 40... Plus YOU got to cruise a lot.....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

ka8uet
Has Liked: 130 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Postby ka8uet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Capt Force, I wish I had been able to get my boat before you sell yours. How is the search for land-based housing coming? I hope Nancy is feeling better.

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:21 am

Nancie's doing well, but remains with a chronic leg weakness. We're just three days from moving ashore and the search for our housing is over. We'll take our time with selling Aythya and I'll have a chance to work on interior projects that I have not been able to address with disrupting our home while we are living aboard.

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:04 am

I am' so sorry to hear that Nancie's mobility is still impaired. It must be hard to give up living aboard. Good luck.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm

How is land living? :D

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:22 am

scallywag wrote:Source of the post How is land living? :D

I'm maintaining a constant heading without a helm.
All the bottles in the refrigerator are remaining upright.
Weather changes occur without notice.
The holding tank must be immense! I don't understand this yet.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Gosh, Glad to her from you. My holding tank is half full. My septic tank will probably need to emptied. Unending supply of electricity is costly. Then there are the water and tax bills. It is easier to live on the hook. I have to move to a mooring because the canals will be dredged. The cost of the mooring and dredging the canals along with the real estate taxes are a big consideration. My wife is in pain today because of the coming front. Can not move because of the grandchildren. Oh well. Life goes on :shock:

John

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 pm

What's the latest CF??
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

I've had some inquires and an offer than I declined concerning selling Aythya. I'm respecting all offers, but I'm not eager to sell for far less than my asking price. I've been enjoying making progress with some work that was difficult to accomplish while living aboard. I've removed the old vinyl (Tolex) lining in the forward cabin and cleaned out as well as painted many lockers. I replaced another couple square feet of deck coring and repainted some deck non-skid. In general, things are going very well and I am adapting to the motionless home.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Glad to hear you still have Aythya. I was wondering what was taking place. It is great to go to a man dwelling. I have to put the land dwelling in shape before working on Scallywag. She looks great sitting in the back. Taking a big ship on May 6th. I can not wait.

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:39 pm

It's hard to move from the home where you have lived for decades.

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

Postby tex » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Yeah. I have to hand it to you, CF. I was thinking it would take you a good while to adopt the dirt. Next thing you know, you'll be buying Helen's lawn mower. Last I heard, she might be giving it up soon.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:50 am

There is a lawn sloping down to a little lake at my present location, but someone else mows it. I have not mowed a lawn since the Spring of 1964 and I will maintain that personal record!

Return to “Making The Break From Land”