Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Another break “to” land

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Another break “to” land

Postby tex » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Sadly I must report that my 7 year project focus, Bucky, is going up for sale in February. The Admiral wants to liquidate and move on to other places and things, and I guess I’ll be going the way of Capn. Force and Nancy (into boating oblivion). She’s talking about Colorado or Utah mountains right now and renting only. I tried to talk her into living aboard for a year but she’s pretty stuck with the dirt thing right now. :|
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Re: Another break “to” land

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

I fully understand your description of Bucky as your focus. My boat was a focus of much of my effort and passion for many years; however, the fulfillment coming from these endeavors seems to be the passion and goals and not the object of the focus. I'm eager to work toward my focused goals each day. You may be in pursuit of hot air ballooning, sculpting custom furniture or cultivating exotic orchids. The object of your passions can change without loss. You are the "master of your fate and the captain of your soul". 'exciting times ahead,- take care and joy!

P.S. After posting this, I looked at my avatar where it states, "now on a chair in my walk in closet". I should point out that I spend several hours each day in this chair improving my musical performance and I've auditioned and gained a chair in a community band. I also keep my pair of roller skates in this closet that I'm using about seven hours a week. That 'chair' is not a position of loss, but it's my new helm!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 am

tex wrote:Source of the post Sadly I must report that my 7 year project focus, Bucky, is going up for sale in February. The Admiral wants to liquidate and move on to other places and things, and I guess I’ll be going the way of Capn. Force and Nancy (into boating oblivion). She’s talking about Colorado or Utah mountains right now and renting only. I tried to talk her into living aboard for a year but she’s pretty stuck with the dirt thing right now. :|

Very sad Tx, but a man's gotta do wot a man's gotta do if indeed he wants to get to still do it a few times a year :o Realitically what happenned to us as the sailboat never got much use after we bought the condo having sold the liveaboard motor yacht. However we are going back to UK and a live aboard becomes sensible once more, mostly financially ( aside from pleasure,they come cheaper than dirt homes and are fully furnished, plus moving away from noisy neighbours etc is easier)

SOUNds pretty cold up there however, could you not keep bucky as a snowbird home? SOMebody will surely get a real beauty of a boat.

All the best to you both regardless and keep in touch on here, too much in that DIY brain to lose such a valuable resource!
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am

Hurricanes Matthew and Irma have changed the focus for many. A neighbor has put his canal front property up for sale and is moving inland. He told me he can no longer afford to take financial hits. His house and rental properties have been flooded. He has repaired the damage but at a cost. As one ages, a quality hospital is important. My wife wants to move inland. I am thinking about keeping the property as a place to keep Scallywag. :roll:

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 am

Between the hurricanes, Red Tide, taxes, condo association fees, special assessments, insurance and a plethora of other things, liquidating, being fluid and renting seems attractive.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Postby Robin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am

We are currently pondering ( read heated discussions) an offer on our condo 10% below asking so can sympathise. Just missed one boat I fancied in UK now under offer from another, but perhaps it is kismet.. I hate this uncertainty.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 am

Dang, Robin. Nothing like a low-baller to make you feel good about the rest of your decisions. What’s happening with boat values in the UK since the Brexit vote?

Robin

Postby Robin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

tex wrote:Source of the post Dang, Robin. Nothing like a low-baller to make you feel good about the rest of your decisions. What’s happening with boat values in the UK since the Brexit vote?

Prices now are up mostly because a new batch for sale came on the market at the end of the season. They may drop if customers are not available. Plus the dollar is falling now against the pound ( 10% since we started looking, so our money is worth that much less)

We have a meeting tomorrow with the realtor and expect to sign a contract to sell at 10% below our asking price.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:15 pm

The News reported that living on boats in England is decreasing. Maybe that means there will be more inexpensive boats available. I hope your sale goes well. :)

Robin

Postby Robin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:48 pm

so far so good except just found out another $6000 in 'fees/charges/taxes we have to pay as sellers. :|

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 am

In England, you do not have to pay brokerage fees and taxes when you sell real estate :?: ?

Robin

Postby Robin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am

scallywag wrote:Source of the post In England, you do not have to pay brokerage fees and taxes when you sell real estate :?: ?

Yes but lower %age and the buyer pays the stamp duty cost. Also the property tax equivalent, called council tax is paid monthly in advance by the owner, not annually in arrears. We just paid our property taxes and thought the next bill would be for the buyers to pay but apparently we paid for last year's not this years so a proportion of this years now gets added to our escape costs. My problem for not understanding the way things are done here versus in the UK :o

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

I guess no one told you everything is negotiable Relator sales percentages run from 3 to 10 percent. Negotiated before listing the property. Buyer paying some of the fees before accepting the offer. The only time you are on the hook with a relator is when the offer is equal to the asking price. If an offer comes in at the selling price and you turn it down you are responsible to pay the relator's commission. There is a dredging fee on our tax bill each year for $700. Buyers do not want to pay it. Sellers do not want to pay it because the buyer reaps the benefit. :idea:

Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm

we are paying 6% commission negotiated before listing. No dredging fee in our case! our property taxes are actually low because we have homestead and age reductions applied, not to mention we are income poor and deduction high (medical crap)!

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:25 pm

6 % is not bad. Could be higher or lower. That is a good middle ground. A relator usual pitch is the seller pays my commission. Of course, the property needs to be listed higher for that to happen. I hate buying anything. As a seller, you need to know what you want. You want to go home to England, so any seller price will work. England is beautiful. Enjoy and the best of luck to you and yours. :)

Return to “Making The Break From Land”