Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Heaters

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Re: Heaters

Postby RTB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Panicked for a bit yesterday when shore power went off...then back on....then back off. Georgia Power thankfully found the problem promptly. Later, after the temps made it above freezing, bits of ice made quite the racket as it flew off the mast and rigging and crashed onto the deck! I went out to the cockpit for a bit, and saw pieces hitting the water near us. The wind was blowing strong out of the northwest. Ice on the docks again today, till around 10am. Low tonight between 19* and 23*, depending on which forecast you look at. Pretty treacherous getting to work these days, and I only have to walk from dock 5 to dock 1. Still pretty toasty inside at around 61*.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Postby tex » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm

As if the cold weather is not enough, we’ve got the Red Tide looming again. They’ve really got it bad down in the Ft. Myers area and it’s slowly creeping north. Conditions degrading now only 5 miles south on Siesta Key. I guess the lower temps have little effect. Anyway, I’m still enjoying the cooler weather for working under the helm.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Based on the county policy in St. Johns County, Red Tide will be coming in the future. The St. Johns River is having Red Tide problems. Old Florida is taking a beating from the developers. :cry:

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Well, when you consider the chemistry most likely to provoke the ideal conditions for algea blooms, Longboat Key (half golf course and half over-groomed residential) must be world headquarters for such events. :roll:

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Well I turned from 'cool' to 'heat for 36 hrs but just had to go back to 'cool' as it got too warm inside at 75F and even the admirable one was bitching when she got back from church :lol: .
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm

When we first moved to St. Augustine, residents ran around in barefeet and shorts. We had on heavy jackets. So is the world. :lol:

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Postby RTB » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:48 pm

Finally, the heaters are getting a break! Only one running now and finally seeing 70* inside the boat. Have been running two heaters full tilt and only seeing 61* inside for 4 days. I talked to a diver today that claimed the water temps here are slightly less than 50^, and now wearing dry suits. Brrr! The birds.....namely pelicans and cormorants have been extremely active here for the past week! Crazy actually!!! I love watching nature from my boat. I am continually amazed, and wouldn't give up my view for anything.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Postby Robin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 am

turned the air back on yesterday after complaints from the management she was too hot. 72 indoors tonight and air comes on once an hour maybe. getting a regular stream of boats again southbound and two anchored tonight plus the abandoned one although that sprouted a light last night so maybe has been warned to shape up or ship out. Mainsail still hangs loose over the cockpit flapping in the wind and fenders hang where a tender might go alongside but nobody seen on board for weeks.

Robin

Postby Robin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:38 am

Bck in UK waters now and madam complains she is too hot -England in April, hottest April day for 70 years! No pleasing some folk, had snow 5 weeks back now in mid 70s by day, high 50s at night.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Wow! My boss complains it is too cold. 70 degrees outside and the air conditioner is set at 67 degrees in the car. Go figure.... :lol:

Dot and John

Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 am

heating at my son's place now 'off' until November. come what may, air on last night, (windows opened !) :mrgreen:

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:32 am

Well, at least we had a “season” this yesr in FL. I got so much more of the exterior work done in the cool weather, but now it’s back to the heat. Inside the saloon now with the A/C on, doing inside projects for a change.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm

AA change of pace is good. If you move the boat further North, you could continue to do outside work. :lol:

Dot and John

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”