Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Interior lighting

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Re: Interior lighting

Postby janice142 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:42 am

Don't forget the electric blanket too. 12-volts, for a truck.

What I like best is I can set the timer to either 30 minutes or 45. Then it shuts off. Mine uses 35 watts in an hour, so definitely something I can power without issue. Having a bunk toasty warm is simply decadent. It takes 15 minutes to preheat incidentally.

I wrote an article about mine: http://janice142.com/Articles/AsWinterApproaches.html

Can you feel the season change? I can here on the west coast of Florida. There is a decided change to the air. It is cooler, less humid. Autumn is here or at least knocking on the transom.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:00 am

We in a UK autumn are running our warm air heating overnight, plus our 220VAC leccy blankets go on 15 minutes beforebedtime on 'full' then turned to 'low' overnight. Have treated all our cabin windows to a coat of Rain -X 'fogging stopper' to cut down condensation, working well so far. day temps are in low to mid 60s overnights in 50s but one was 44F as a foretaste. :o Heating is off daytimes and when sun is out windows and hatches get opened.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Postby janice142 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Robin wrote:Source of the post We in a UK autumn are running our warm air heating overnight, plus our 220VAC leccy blankets go on 15 minutes beforebedtime on 'full' then turned to 'low' overnight. Have treated all our cabin windows to a coat of Rain -X 'fogging stopper' to cut down condensation, working well so far.

Great information Robin regarding the Rain-X. I have not tried that, yet!
Later as it gets cooler here I'll give it a go. Thank you for the information. That's very useful.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 am

janice142 wrote:Source of the post
Robin wrote:Source of the post We in a UK autumn are running our warm air heating overnight, plus our 220VAC leccy blankets go on 15 minutes beforebedtime on 'full' then turned to 'low' overnight. Have treated all our cabin windows to a coat of Rain -X 'fogging stopper' to cut down condensation, working well so far.

Great information Robin regarding the Rain-X. I have not tried that, yet!
Later as it gets cooler here I'll give it a go. Thank you for the information. That's very useful.

Our windows are in aluminium frames, condensation after rain x is reduced and at least gets to the drains in the frames to go out, It doesn't stop it on the frames themselves but then those were not treated, perhaps I should do them too. Didn't need any heat on last night at all so no need anyway.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 165 times

Postby tex » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 am

Hmmm. Neat idea about the Rainex. I’m gonna keep that in mind on the loop when we get up north.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”