Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Heaters

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Heaters

Postby tex » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:59 pm

No doubt, my Admiral and I will need some additional heating when we get further north on our cruising plan. What have you successfully used for heating occupied boat spaces underway? Diesel? Hot engine water? Tkx in advance.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Re: Heaters

Postby CaptForce » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 am

Nancie and I keep out of the "north" when temperatures get into the forties at night, but that does require some heat for us. If we are at a marina or running our generator for a couple of hours before bed or early morning, we use a small electric heater/fan (always with an auto cut-off switch when tipped). We most often rely the efficiency of heating a small space which can be as small as the space covering our skin; therefore, we have been known to wear jackets and hats below and only shedding them for some brisk bathing and the warmth of the bed.

Of course, now that we're selling our boat we spent the first half of this winter without a cruise south.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Okay, I am sucked in to giving my opinion. The North is cold in the summer for Floridians. I sailed the Delaware Bay in August in long dungaree pants and sweatshirt. Seeing Katie and Jessie swimming in the Great Lakes in the summer sent chills through my body. My wife made fun of me in Cape May, NJ in August because I said the water was cold. Heat is necessary in some form.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Postby CaptForce » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Dungarees! Now there's a word that I probably haven't heard in thirty years. Scallywag, You take me back to the past and I love it! My Grandparents used to wear dungarees in the Ozarks! Where are you from to be a person who wears dungarees? I asked Nancie when she last heard the term dungarees and she said that you had to be at least seventy! Give us the back story.

Robin, do they wear dungarees in Britain?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 am

We LOVE our West Marine heaters....What we normally use at night...
Also have a "Mr Heater" complete with a 30lb tank and 25' hose..... The Mr Heater we only use if we need to heat up the saloon fast or sitting on the aft deck (yes, both well ventilated). Luckily, haven't had to use it in 2 yrs in the saloon due to our mild winters. Course we also have twin 16,000 BTU reverse cycle units....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:01 pm

I went to Terry Parker in the mid sixties, 1962-1966. I think it was against the dress code to wear dungarees. I attended during the hurricane in 1964. When I attended Zephyrhills High School in 8th grade, kids came to school in dungarees and no shoes. :D

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 am

Terry Parker.... As in Jacksonville??
And I FULLY AGREE with you about cold weather in August in the North!! I'll never forget the time we went to Mass one August and I had a bunch of friends there (I was forced to go as my parents were from there and went back every Aug. for the month)... I was about 14 and they all said "Last one in is a rotten egg".... Heck, I'm from Ft Lauderdale, water temp was 85+... I knew I was in trouble when they all STOPPED at the water edge while I was diving in.... I was frozen for days !!!
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Yes, Jacksonville Terry Parker. This winter has not been bad. But I would rather be further south.

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 pm

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post Dungarees! Now there's a word that I probably haven't heard in thirty years. Scallywag, You take me back to the past and I love it! My Grandparents used to wear dungarees in the Ozarks! Where are you from to be a person who wears dungarees? I asked Nancie when she last heard the term dungarees and she said that you had to be at least seventy! Give us the back story.

Robin, do they wear dungarees in Britain?

NOpe. I will have to buy me some long pants though when we go back. I would sail on colder days in jeans, sweater ( usually a 'Guernsey', which is a heavy one knitted from oiled wool), wooly hat or Breton cap. Add a sleveless or long sleeved insulated showerpoof/ windproof top For really cold night sails WE had thermal underwear, long sleeved tops and long underpants. Waterproof gloves with thermal liners too for cold nights. Sleeping at sea, stay dressed. in Harbour if power available a small elewctric fan heater. Out sat anchor we had a propane catalytic heater wall mounted in the saloon. Sleeping in mid winter we resorted to hot water bottles ( when we didn't live by the boat we slept on board in winter in between doing the annual sand down and repaint bottom) Our bed was made up with two duvets, one light one heavy. In summer the lighter duvet was on top, the heavy underneath ( us between) In Autumn ( FAll) the duvets were the other way round. Even in winter the main hatch would be cracked open but into a completely enclosed canvas enclosure. Without ventilation you get condensation. We had no need ever for air conditioning but had lots of opening deck hatches and cabin portlights plus a wind sail that hung over the forward hatch to direct air throughout the boat. THis of course is sailboat stuff, motor boats with generators had more options. When we go liveaboard in winter we will probsbly add anelectric blanket for when we have shorepower or a running generator. Most boats have diesel blown warm air heaters like Eberspacher or Mikoni or Taylor's Drip feed diesel stoves.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Ummm.... You're really making me cold, Robin! Beverly and I loved our 3 1/2 years in England, but I can't imagine doing it on a boat. You definitely seem to have a handle on keeping warm though. Thanks for the input. What's new with you and T these days?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:58 am

we lived on the south coast and will be there or thereabouts when we go back, snow is a once in 20 year event, frost happens mind. We used to lift out for annual bottom paint, anode change and hull polish etc over 3 weeks in Feb, then went to Indiana for 3 weeks to visit Theresa's family but then sailed every weekend thereafter through end November. In winterwe would often spend the weekends on board in the marina too. Others in our club would race all winter too and I occasionally crewed on a raceboat.

We are slowly getting ducks lined up to return to civilisation. I have established an official mail address like St Brendan's is here and have used it to renew my UK drivers licence which expired automatically at age 70, thereafter needing renewal every 3 years (only needs a new photo and declaration I can still read a number plate at 25 yds and haven't gone totally loopy) We also renewed the health cards that give us reciprocal free healthcare throughout Europe at least until the Brexit stupidity actually happens, about 2 years from the 'go' now signal not yet started . Other than that we are researching potential live aboard boats and marinas ( most forbid residential use but many turn a blind eye if you move about a bit and don't grow tomatoes and cabbages on deck). Looking at motor yachts via monohull sailboats to sailing catamarans. Big engine motor yachts are cheapish but the marina fees are huge, like $700 per metre LOA per year and fuel costs frightening at 20 + gph and diesel at over $3/US gallon and that is the tax free price too for boats.A 40-45ft sailboat would work but again hefty marina fee but the wind is free. Also seriously looking at a 37ft sailing catamaran see here:-

http://www.ybw.com/boats-for-sale/5964564?currency=
This has twin Yanmar saildrives easy handled sails and is a flat stable platform for a doddery old git, not heeling upwind and rolling less at anchor. Ka8uet will no doubt approve!
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

christopher
Your Vessel Info: sv Dharma Bum is a Pearson Pilothouse36
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Postby christopher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm looking at my forced-air diesel furnace options for an install this summer: Espar, Wallas or Wesbasto. I like the Wallas for its 3" ducting (versus 4" for the Espar) but the Wallas apparently won't run off a feed line tapped into the main fuel line. I can't put a dedicated pickup in my tank, as it's an ATL bladder tank.

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby bobbymo » Mon May 08, 2017 8:56 am

Another vote for the "West Marine" almost flat, small, quiet, space heaters with many settings and safety features. I use 3 on the 44' Viking and nave have to use the factory baseboard heaters, nor the reverse-cycle A/C units. Galley floor, salon (on step stool) MSR (on top of the drawer cabinet.)

Another "must" are my USMC "poncho liners" which are lightweight, quilted blankets that seem very good at reflecting body heat. I use one under and one over on the main berth, with a back-up northwestern trapper blanket. Most times, I have to get up and turn off the heater. Wrap yourself in one of these and you will be quite warm in 10 minutes...
I actually had a couple of the poncho liners from way-back in the USMC, but they can now be found on AMAZON from various manufacturers. Easy to wash and they compact very nicely in one of those vacuum cleaner storage bags for off season.......

The only catch with these is that the camo pattern may not always be agreeable to an admiral.......... I don't have that issue, but when I have had guests................the pattern and colors definitely lose their importance when the warmth of these things is realized..........(and I would hope that my company had something to do about that, but probably more the warmth)

Two of the three heaters are turned off or set really low at night, but with all 3 running........they draw about 6 amps (I have never used the mid or high settings)

One other interesting point..........these heaters can be found on Amazon for less $$$$ but I bought one and they look alike but are NOT the same.
I think the ones made specifically for West Marine have a higher heat range, so they are worth the extra money........and, I have no issues with leaving them on low settings while away from the boat when placed safely.

Good luck!
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 am

Long underwear for sure. I remember sailing on the Delaware Bay in August and had to wear dungarees. The water is cold up north for us Floridians. Ocean temperature was 69 in August.

Dot and John

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 am

We just had our first cool temps of the Fall, 62 degrees at 0600 and the admiral is wearing socks, sweat pants, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt with hoody... Surprised she doesn't have gloves on......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”