Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The right "next" boat for Captain Force

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

The right "next" boat for Captain Force

Postby tex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Came across this trusty (if not rusty) ole pilothouse on Craigslist. Looks like a good candidate for the Aythya Crew.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bo ... 65445.html
Attachments
01515_bbnoNRLL6Jz_1200x900.jpg
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Re: The right "next" boat for Captain Force

Postby CaptForce » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 am

I had to do a little research to assure that this was a fiberglass hull and it is. These were built in Bradenton, Florida. It does have all the traits that I would be looking for. Even so, I'm waiting. I've spent just one month after the sale of my boat and I'm being cautious. I'm taking the same advice that comes with a divorce or death of a spouse,- don't make any quick decisions! This does stimulate my interest. There's easy access for Nancie,- no ladder-like steps going below or high climb to the deck above the finger pier.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Put a tuna tower on it.... Maybe 12 rod holders, an 80,000 watt sound system, add on a very loud generator and a way to launch empty cans a decent distance and it will then scream CAPT FORCE.....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Put a tuna tower on it.... Maybe 12 rod holders, an 80,000 watt sound system, add on a very loud generator and a way to launch empty cans a decent distance and it will then scream CAPT FORCE.....

I can't put together a response to this,- 'total lack of understanding, but nothing on my list of wants.

I do see a need for another boat. I've a surplus of need to work on a project. I bought and old bicycle for $30 and tore it down to about three dozen parts. 'cleaned, oiled, painted and replaced cables, but the final product, despite being pretty, was a little small for my 6'3" height. So I was left with a problem. An old man can't just walk up to some kid and say, "Hey kid, do you want a bicycle?" So, I took it to the local Walmart parking lot until I saw a lady walking out with a few children. They were pleased with the bike. I now have another bigger bicycle that I bought as cheap junk and it's broken down to another 3 dozen parts. I stripped the aluminum frame and fork and I've covered it with several layers of primer, color coat and clear coat. I'm checking out paint for the rims and some exotic fingernail polish colors for some high-lights. When I finish I might need to give it away and find another wreck. Forty-five years of living aboard a boat means I've developed a serious addiction to work.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Put a tuna tower on it.... Maybe 12 rod holders, an 80,000 watt sound system, add on a very loud generator and a way to launch empty cans a decent distance and it will then scream CAPT FORCE.....

Now Jax: You know how conservative CF is. The last thing he wants is to have a boat that calls the attention of the babes with a mega-masculine tuna tower. I can see a tower, but something functional and reasonable that "suggests" potential. Rod holders, maybe, but whatever the quantity, I'd bet there would be a big rod in each, you know, one that would barely fit in the holder. ;)
Attachments
Trawlette with tower.jpg
Trawlette with tower.jpg (138.19 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 pm

[quote="[url=http://www.life-aboard.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=65]CaptForce When I finish I might need to give it away and find another wreck. Forty-five years of living aboard a boat means I've developed a serious addiction to work.[/quote]

CF: I understand completely, and suggest that you take care not to slow the work addiction process too rapidly. Choosing another trusted boat owner like myself, for example, who could provide you with the right amount of project work intensity for now while gently maintaining focus toward a safely declining level over the coming months. It's a diliberately patient process that can take a couple of years before you're finally ready to relax. :) We could start immediately. Call me Monday morning from your local Fiberglass & Resin supplier and I'll give you the outline of the first therapy treatment. :D

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 am

.................... We could start immediately. Call me Monday morning from your local Fiberglass & Resin supplier and I'll give you the outline of the first therapy treatment. :D[/quote]

'got this message just moments too late. I've just committed to whitewashing my neighbor's fence!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:55 am

I thought whitewashing only took place in Washington DC??
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Another candidate for the Aythya Crew. I can imagine having something like this, saying "let's go" one moment and enjoying the water the next. About as simple as it gets. The only thing I don't like about these smaller inboards is that there are no comfortable places to sit for any amount of time.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/Ra ... VrXtCb3anM
Attachments
image.jpg

Robin
Has Liked: 107 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Postby Robin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:49 am

tex wrote:Source of the post Another candidate for the Aythya Crew. I can imagine having something like this, saying "let's go" one moment and enjoying the water the next. About as simple as it gets. The only thing I don't like about these smaller inboards is that there are no comfortable places to sit for any amount of time.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/Ra ... VrXtCb3anM

How muchcould he charge for the tripper's rides?
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Spiffy candidate for the Aythya Crew!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Gr ... cqQYSb3anM
Attachments
image.jpg

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:52 am

Whoa, Tex, your psychic abilities are revealed! There are not many of these boats around, but the Grover 26 has been on the top of my list.

I'm still holding back with recommitting to another boat. I just auditioned for a seat in a community band and I've been doing a lot of roller skating. The void left by selling my ketch is sucking me into all kinds of passions!

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 pm

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post Whoa, Tex, your psychic abilities are revealed! There are not many of these boats around, but the Grover 26 has been on the top of my list.

I'm still holding back with recommitting to another boat. I just auditioned for a seat in a community band and I've been doing a lot of roller skating. The void left by selling my ketch is sucking me into all kinds of passions!

Holding back!? You're holding back your passion for the water!? And now you're expressing your frustrated desire to become the town's only roller skating tubist?

Here's an example that would keep The Aythya Crew on the water while still having room for the Sousaphone in the v-berth or the cockpit! More buck than the Grover, but more comfort with a head, galley, and nice spaces for the crew in and out! Probably wont depreciate much either.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Ra ... de2NSb3anM
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by tex on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm

[quotet] ...................................
......................................................... to become the town's only roller scating tubist? ...................... [/quote]

You lost me at, "roller scating"! That doesn't present an image that allows me any composure! ...and the tuba doesn't help...LOL!

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm

CaptForce wrote:[quotet] ...................................
......................................................... to become the town's only roller scating tubist? ......................

You lost me at, "roller scating"! That doesn't present an image that allows me any composure! ...and the tuba doesn't help...LOL![/quote]

Woops. Had to go back an correct that one. What a terrible mistake! :shock: Such incidents would make a goid sized tuba bell convenient.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”