Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Flood of storm boats coming.

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Flood of storm boats coming.

Postby tex » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 am

Boat US estimated some 50,000 boats lost or badly damaged in Irma and Maria. The last time so many damaged boats came to the market might have been in 2005 when eight different named storms hit FL. I recall heading north from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, it seemed like National Liquidators and various banks were stashing damaged boats everywhere. I wonder what the banks will do. Refitters learned some serious lessons with damaged storm boats from 2005 and those who remember might not be lining up to take those risks again. It should be interesting seeing how things are handled this time, especially in hauling & storing those huge charter cats. Photos below are of the Charter Fleets at Parakeet Bay in Tortola. First is during the eye passing over and the second is the soidier-like regimentation of before anything happened.
Attachments
11B7945E-57B8-4E2A-B675-FD6D9B04BB6E.jpeg
7632E9B4-4C6C-47F2-BE0E-453757771513.jpeg
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Re: Flood of storm boats coming.

Postby tex » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Interesting side note, I was at the St. Petersburg Boat Show today and sat through a seminar on Buying Salvaged Boats. Useful material. Apparently there are quite a few people of the mind that salvaged Irma and Maria boat opportunities will soon be coming.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:21 pm

I wonder if my boat was a salvaged boat. Strange area on the side of the boat. I also wonder about my car. It smells strange at times. Of course we live near the ocean.

John

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Just like cars/trucks and the like that will be coming out of Texas aend surrounding areas due to their massive flooding... 'Buyer beware' for sure on land and sea rides.......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

If you have the money and smarts, some once in a lifetime opportunities right now. On Cruiser's Forum, just saw a Leopard catamaran sell for under 50K. Some damage to the sterns of both hulls, plus more insignificant damage. Wish I had been paying attention! Good photos and seemingly honest info from the seller of this charter boat.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Ralph,
You have a great cruising boat. Why get sucked in and spend more time and money for something bigger? Dot want me to sell and move into a smaller place. I mentioned the boat and she frowned.

Dot and John

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”