Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The right "next" boat for Captain Force

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Re: The right "next" boat for Captain Force

Postby tex » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:07 pm

I might go for this one myself! Steigercraft with 250 Mercruiser gas, but 3 year warranty. 1’2” draft, gexplore the shallows of the shallows.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/St ... fflrWgpCEc
Attachments
4D624DA9-4EF2-4CA7-B71C-3CA1FC5B3FF4.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 am

Obviously, I'm not posting something to get the Aythya Crew's attention. Here's a potential and economical candidate that one could afford to plan a few major projects.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/ ... 34987.html
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (24.63 KiB) Viewed 553 times

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Postby CaptForce » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 am

I had a great 45 year run living aboard boats that I was excited about and cruising with Nancie. We traveled tens of thousands of nautical miles and raised our two children aboard. I did have the idea that I might retain some boating related activity, but Nancie's post-polio syndrome will not allow her involvement. I've been focusing my passions on musical performance and skating.

We will be passengers on the big cruise liners,- Cuba, Alaska and Tahiti are booked, but my personal boat ownership is not likely. I've stopped my participation as a moderator on the Cruising and Sailing Forum, but I'll remain following my friends here. 'take care and joy!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Once beds are made, meals prepared and rooms cleaned on cruise ships, having to do it yourself is demeaning. My wife put up with small boat cruising until she experienced the big cruise liners. If the boats were not in the water in the canal, they would have been gone long ago. We have almost 200 days on cruise ships. Alaska and Cuba are on the bucket list. We enjoy the atmosphere in the Caribbean ports. In fact we enjoy the St. Augustine atmosphere. I am content to walk the beaches and the shores of the waterways.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Very best wishes to both of you, please do not be a stranger lurking here This place needs some commonsense advice too frequently and you have it all in one huge memory bank.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks, Robin, I've too many friends here to let go!

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am

I frequent this site and Janice's BLOG more than any other place on the web. With hurricanes Matthew and Irma, I had to redirect my efforts and finances from Scallywag to the dwelling. Six more rooms to repair and then on to Scallywag. The winds tore up my lines. As one ages, it takes longer to get things accomplished. Oh well!

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 pm

CF and Nancy have the right idea. The Admiral and I also really enjoy the cruises. We met one older lady last time who actually lives aboard cruise ships, booking one after another. She says it costs less than a good assisted living joint, so what the heck. Huge buffet selection daily for most any diet, maid service, room service, medical aboard, fresh air, gym, pool, movies, bars & restaurants, coffee & pastry, yep!

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 pm

The cost per day can range from $150 and up for a couple. We enjoy the entertainment...We are at the point that we just sit and watch the people. We have run into some interesting individuals.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:00 am

I went on one of those TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Cruises a few years ago. Love the old movies. Guests on that cruise were Tippy Hedron and Ernest Borgnine. I’d go on another one tomorrow. Great food, dancing, port visits ect, but great old movies on big screens.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 am

Ournearest thing to a cruise has been the 65 mile winter car ferry trips, overnighters, to France for stocking up wines and goodies, even to play golf. Luxury cruises to me do not appeal, too much like sitting in a hotel and watching the world go by through the window. Besides I'm mean.(stingy :o ) and prefer my own boat
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Janice has just added on her BLOG a suggestion about the right boat for people that have trouble boarding their boat. Very interesting. :roll:

CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am

Who is Janice and where is her blog? I've missed something.

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:36 pm

http://janice142.com/

Janice is a lady that lives aboard a 23' trawler. Some individuals aboard this site have met her. I am not one. Her latest BLOG is directed to people that have a hard time boarding some boats. This hit home.

John

ka8uet
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 pm

There are advantages to playing flute!!!! BTW, I only have one step from cockpit to saloon. Easy-peasy. Cats have lots of advantages.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”