Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aythya is for Sale

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Aythya is for Sale

Postby CaptForce » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:09 am

32 of our 45 years living aboard have been on this 1973 Morgan Out Island 41'. She's well known on the US East Coast with 24 transits from Maine to the Bahamas. Despite my passion for my boat I have a greater commitment to my wife who can no longer physically negotiate the life aboard.

What is the value of a well-cared for old boat? Like most any owner I think my boat is worth more than the market dictates. I'm not eager to sell, but I will continue with slip and maintenance costs each month. So here's my plan that is not unlike an exercise in titration. My boat is available during January of 2017 at 60K. Each month Aythya will be offered for one thousand dollars less. As the price goes down interest should increase. I will respect any offers during this time. I know it sounds like a game, but I'm serious at play!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Re: Aythya is for Sale

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Where you moving to on land???
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm

I'll still be in NE Florida. We have family here and I'll probably buy a little Downeast with a diesel under an engine box on an open deck with a cuddy. New adventures,- I'll poke around under all those fixed bridges that have been closed to me for many years!

Nancie and I bought a couple of queen size beds today. This was the first furniture I've ever bought in my lifetime. 'strange rectangular things! 'and what's the deal with all the layers? Why these frames and box springs (ironically without any springs). They seem to function only to keep the mattress higher,- no water rising right?

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

Postby tex » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Until the 90's, the majority of the lower box springs did have springs. Some were so bad that you'd roll off the bed if you got too close to the edge! I bought my first single mattress bed while living in the Dominican Republic around 1999, and I really haven't considered anything else since.

I like the Downeast style of boat. One in seaworthy design with a beautiful shear line, unobtrusive fly bridge and a motor box is the Nausett 28. Stay clear of the Peninsular Detroit V8 diesel in favor of Cummins or Yanmar. I also like the Albin 32. I could even be talked into a Hinkley picnic boat. :D
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 am

tex wrote:Source of the post...............
....... One in seaworthy design with a beautiful shear line, unobtrusive fly bridge and a motor box is the Nausett 28. Stay clear of the Peninsular Detroit V8 diesel in favor of Cummins or Yanmar. I also like the Albin 32. I could even be talked into a Hinkley picnic boat. :D

I'm in line with your thoughts, but looking at things a little simpler,- I like the Sisu 22. I'm also trending toward a Ford Lehman 80 or 120 max, Yanmar, Perkins.... Remember, I'm spoiled by cruising at no more than one gallon/hour. '

tex

Postby tex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Ah, yes....nice vessel. Might be a challenge to find one of the inboard's though. Also like the Rossborough influences. Must be a fun boat.

tex

Postby tex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 am

https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_jgW ... 00x450.jpg

This is the antithesis of my interest! 'looks like Dagwood's sandwich and totally dysfunctional starting with that toy anchor roller that leads from nowhere. I would be far more interested in something like this....

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/5947798536.html

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Tex, I guess I should clarify my thoughts. After leaving my well appointed 41' with it's 13'10" and all my great space, I would be severely disappointed with a 25' to 30' boat that attempted to match the function as a cruiser. I am adjusting to a small boat with nice lines and no clutter,- a small cutty cabin with more of an open deck and the diesel inboard under an engine box with simple access.

Maybe something with this appearance:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Wasque-26-3009918, -or-

http://www,yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Wasque-26-3021921, I do like that Yanmar!

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Tex, I do like those Rossboroughs, but they, like so many, are filling a large number of functions. I'm after simplicity,- the "Butter Knife" instead of the "Swiss Army Knife". Much of what I want seems to come out of Maine.

Here's one that may be too simple & unfinished, but great appeal!

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/5947798536.html

By the way, I've also decided to knock 10 grand off my asking price for Aythya. It's not like I need to sell it soon, but I do want to move on to the + or - 25' downeast.

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Well,- I didn't mean to double-post. I only wanted to correct the link that is correct in the second post!

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:55 pm

A double post?
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:55 pm

A double post??
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex

Postby tex » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 am

CF: somehow I can't get my head wrapped around the butter knife idea for either of us. Being a creature of habit, I just keep trying to find multiple applications for every project or item on our boat. Could it be that you have stumbled upon the true meaning of "pleasure boating"?

Topic author
CaptForce

Postby CaptForce » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 am

My satisfaction a "butter knife" boat is only speculation as I still have my "Swiss army knife" ketch and I'm planning from the desk in my "dirt-bound" home. When I imagine what I'll be doing with my next boat I don't envision, storage, cooking, showering, 110VAC, non-boating entertainment (books, TV, music, computers, etc.) and I've never been interested in fishing or grilling.

I only expect a few pleasures. 1) Touring about wilderness areas 2) Taking family and friends to waterfront venues 3) maintaining the vessel

One of my dreams would be having the diesel under an engine box on the open deck. I can imagine a visit from Tex & Eva as they bring some of those wonderful sausage & mustard treats. After the food we could lift the engine box and sit with 360* access to the single inboard diesel. When it's too dark to view the diesel from all angles we could dock at the Jacoby Hall for the Jacksonville Symphony.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”