Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If Money were no object...

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 128 times

If Money were no object...

Postby tex » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 am

I was reading elsewhere today and came across a post where this cruising couple was buying the boat of their dreams. Money must not have been a limiting factor as I see the purchase was in the 2 million plus range. I don’t spend much time dreaming of something beyond my reach, but I can imagine if money weren’t a limiting factor, I’d be doing a lot more updating and improvements with a lot less worry about how practical I was being.

Do you have a dream boat? What would you have if money were no object? Would you have the most amazing version of the boat you have now, or would you be in something else....like what? Would you still be a live-aboard?
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Re: If Money were no object...

Postby scallywag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:06 pm

I think of Tiger Wood's yacht. It takes 28 people to operate that machine. If I had the money, I still would not want that thing. Where would be the fun? The fun of boating is the fixing and relaxing. One time I was looking at a boat that had a 5,000 gallon diesel tank. Nice boat butt....I like Jessie cruising with her friend on a 27 foot sailboat. She remarked how she thought she was slumming until she met two girls paddling down the Mississippi in two kayaks. Jessie completed the Great Loop with her friend. Now she is in England with her father's sailboat. She is living life. :D

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 128 times

Re: If Money were no object...

Postby tex » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am

There’s a Snowbird couple here who have the same model boat I have, but with deeper pockets. At the end of each season, they leave instructions with a local yard about what improvements to make on the boat, and upon return in late fall, the boat is improved and launch ready. I think they enjoy the boat more than anyone I know. They seem to be a couple where money is no object, and now that they have improved the boat about as much as it can be, they are looking seriously at building a nearly identical vessel 6 ft. longer and two feet wider with no change in layout, just making each space larger. They’re having a great time with the architect too!

I think that’s a great example. They love the boat they have and all they are doing is tweaking it to their polished preferences. I wouldn’t mind that approach at all.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”