Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sometimes my projects flop

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Sometimes my projects flop

Postby tex » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 pm

In doing the interior of my ‘87 Krogen Manatee North-Sea pilothouse, I envisioned a ceiling done in the taste and style of 42’s and Whalebacks. So far so good, but after upholstering the ceiling with panels made from a very conservative beige/cream you would expect the find on a Krogen. Then to save overhead clearance, I fashioned the beam caps from a thin Teak plywood paneling that one really couldn’t achieve a finished edge with. Then I turned to automotive door trim molding to cover the rough edge, first black, then chrome, then out of desperation, I finally a vinyl clip or sew-on on edge molding usually found on athletic shoe tops in various colors, leather or vinyl.

The result was no less than ridiculous. It looked closer to an ‘87 impala than an ‘87 Krogen, even more artificial than the artificial stuff. 4 coats of varnish only made it worse! Sometimes in my efforts to pinch as much as I can out of the boat budget, I engineer something this absurd.
Attachments
F0D9F6D3-7CFB-4531-BDC6-A5826211F07A.jpeg
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Re: Sometimes my projects flop

Postby Robin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I think you are being over critical, looks Ok to me once I realised it was the ceiling to look at not the wall wood trim. Lots of people like Impalas anyway don't they? We can't all drive Rollers, and even Cadillac these days is downright tacky. :mrgreen:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Based on the picture you posted, it looks good. I have seen teak curved strips about 1' wide by 1/4 ' with rounded sides. There are also strips that cover the 4' x 8' paneling. These strips are made in wood and also plastic. like you I do more looking and thinking than actual work. :lol:

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm

When I said it looked terrible, I meant that the beam caps don’t match or complement anything else in the pilothouse. It actually clashes with the theme of the interior. This is an ugly boat, but with a rich interior of teak trim against a plush beige leatherette. I was attempting to preserve that look but....

Here’s a shot of the ceiling. The beam caps were for the white area which is left with a spider-cracked gelcoat from my abusive outer re-skinning job done years ago. The cabin interior is also very similar with teak beam caps every 10 inches. The 1/4” solid teak with rounded edges would do the trick. It’s only money!
Attachments
9D61912D-43C3-466C-B88E-5E19EBD6AF1B.jpeg

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm

I found that some contractors use parts that are discontinued. So finding these parts are impossible. A number of boat vendors, Sailors Exchange, sell discontinued parts. My boat is so old parts are no longer available. So be it. I like my vessel. :D

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 pm

The last time I hung out with Tex (2 yrs ago) he took me to some out of the way marine wholesale places and consignment shops... It was a blast.. And I have to say, All the work he has done on the Bucky has been first classy....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks, Capt Jax, but it may be the classy work I did on the interior that really sabotages my less than spiffy beam caps. Interestingly enough, I turned over the beam caps to reveal the gloss varnished "plain Jane" side of the teak plywood, and it doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking about it.

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”