Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

When your diver 'goes bad".

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

When your diver 'goes bad".

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Been using Matt for several years now...... Always did good work for me and all the other boaters who used him. Well, until the last year or so... Had my boat hauled out last week for bottom paint. Had Matt clean the hull 8 days earlier... Here's a few pictures of the haulout.. He was paid to maintain zincs, including two zincs per shaft... There are no zincs... And look at the prop... I now need to buy two new (OK, used props). Thru my complaint and those of others, he has been banned from several marinas, with more saying they will be too. "Live and learn"
048.jpg
041.jpg
035.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Re: When your diver 'goes bad".

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

054.jpg
058.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Robin
Has Liked: 107 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Postby Robin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:51 pm

That is dreadful. Easy to get away with in underwater work unless you notice a drop in speed or take a swim yourself and looksee ( has that croc gone away?) has he billed you for the zincs that were never fitted because that is theft is it not? Are the props recoverable as spares at least? Was he insured to make it worth getting an attorney suing the bugger? At Halifax, no contractors are permitted without their first providing proof of liability insurance and not given gate keys without it. This guy will have done all local contractors a disservice as trust is hard won and easy lost. :(
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 am

I actually remember this accident as we lived in Jacksonville at the time and drove pass the wreck. The diver was the driver
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stori ... PScEGe1tdh
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

scallywag
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Postby scallywag » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 pm

I hired a diver when I was docked at a marina. He did an excellent job. When I brought the boat home, I pulled it up on the bank and discovered one flat shell type creature. I did not blame the diver because of shape of the creature. I think it just blended into the propeller. The rest of the hull was spotless. I am appalled at the service that is presented in this post. Wow....I hope his name is posted at the marina for others to see.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Postby CaptForce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm

I used a paid diver once because I wanted to replace my prop in the water and I didn't want to put out the money for the required prop puller tool after I found that I was unable to remove the prop with the tools I had. I have an oil-less compressor from Harbor Freight, in line filter, food grade air hose 50', regulator and wet suit, weight belt- mask, fins, etc. I like to take my time inspecting, cleaning and having access to ALL of my boat!

It's an easy job on a hot summer day, to float about picking at your barnacle scale and polishing things below!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 pm

CaptForce...You are a jack of all trades. :lol:

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 am

I'm not jumping into this water !!! One local diver wears an electric shark vest when diving on boats around here... Between them and the gators, He never know what he'll see...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 93 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Postby RTB » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 am

One of the divers here was not happy to see a manatee near the boat he was going to dive. He says they get "friendly" if you are in the water with them....something I never had heard about.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 am

Well have been looking for props.. The 'best deal" I had found was $800 for the port prop, and pics of it showed it was in worse condition than mine is now...
THEN................................................
I posted on a Hatteras site and a guy I've known (from online only) is GIVING me TWO props that are in very good shape!!!!! He's getting out of boating due to age, and has a 40' semi trailer full of boating 'stuff'....... Looks like right at $200 to have them shipped down.... But then he said his cousin is going up there for a visit and will bring them back to me...... See Ralph, being a nice guy pays off sometimes !!
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 113 times

Postby tex » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Man, that's a real bummer about the diver. Frankly, most of the work I've contracted out to someone has been sub-standard, but this example sets the standard for sub-standard. Here's hoping your bottom isn't damaged and that the free props work out. Bucky is also on the hard and I'm paying the penalty for a horrible bottom job at Indiantown a couple of years ago.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

RTB

Postby RTB » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Well have been looking for props.. The 'best deal" I had found was $800 for the port prop, and pics of it showed it was in worse condition than mine is now...
THEN................................................
I posted on a Hatteras site and a guy I've known (from online only) is GIVING me TWO props that are in very good shape!!!!! He's getting out of boating due to age, and has a 40' semi trailer full of boating 'stuff'....... Looks like right at $200 to have them shipped down.... But then he said his cousin is going up there for a visit and will bring them back to me...... See Ralph, being a nice guy pays off sometimes !!

I'm always nice. Karma is always on my mind. Do unto others..... I have to admit though, that people will use you if you are nice. Maybe Karma will bite THEM in the butt! A big shout out to SOS Divers in general. They just finished a big job here. Pulling and replacing the 44" wheels on a 94' M/Y here at BLM. A bit slow perhaps, but got good cred from the owner. A really challenging job for those guys. The SOS guys aren't too active from what I'm seeing as far as general bottom cleaning yet (at least here). I'll post new info if it becomes available.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Ralph,I was contacted by Morningstar marina up your way about Matt..... They were very interested in my information on him....
Tex, what's the latest timetable on you leaving ??
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun May 07, 2017 8:50 pm

FINALLY got good news..... A man on my Hatteras site has two props that will fit my boat... Both have been balanced and still in the shipping crates they came in..... Best price I've found before this is $1600 for two that needed to be fixed and balanced.... I'm getting these for $1,000 which INCLUDES the $200 shipping... Still not cheap, had the diver DONE HIS JOB.... but, I'll be mobile soon......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Postby RTB » Mon May 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Perfect! Break Out Another Thousand! (Boatspeak). Best wishes with the new props. I hope they work out well for you. Let me know when you're going to make a run to Brunswick. Getting kind of hot, and the COLD BEER is tasting mighty fine after work these days.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”