Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Re-tubing inflatables?

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Re-tubing inflatables?

Postby tex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks to damage suffered in the storm Norma, I find myself the owner of a 9' Caribe dinghy with a blown tube. I had it wedged between the stern and the mangrove bushes, and when the storm blew all the water out of the Sarasota Bay, my canal was drained. I had 1" ropes entirely circling the hull and tied to cleats concreted into the bank behind the bushes. When the water ran out, the boat must've been sitting on mud. The compression of the dinghy blew out one of the tubes and two other fenders. I've already done the West Marine sealant thing twice and the strings are hanging out of the seams on this thing , so it might be a waste to spend any more on temporary fixes. There's an outfit here in FL who advertises re-tubing of fiberglass ribs. Has anyone done it? Does it last? How much did it cost you? Would you recommend it? Thanks in advance for any info.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Re: Re-tubing inflatables?

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 pm

I guess the deductible on your insurance means they would not fund a new dinghy? You could try to explain that it's use as a fender potentially saved them thousands of dollars worth of hull damage?
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah, my deductable in a "named storm" is $12,500. Maybe if I got a $25,000 dinghy, they'd pay for half of it! :roll:

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm

But once you exceed the deductible is everything else aside from the main boat's repair not covered? Think çreatively' perhaps. Or is Bucky not that bad to even reach the deductible? That is how insurers work, set a figure that makes it impossible or stupid to claim instead of being honest and saying 'sorry sucker, you ain't covered, you just think you are'! I think I would still be factoring putting the likely retube/repair cost towards a nice new one or are there new admiral shoes to be purchased -in which case you are totally stuffed. :D
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Robin wrote:Source of the post I think I would still be factoring putting the likely retube/repair cost towards a nice new one or are there new admiral shoes to be purchased -in which case you are totally stuffed. :D

LOL! It never occurred to me that the Admiral's shoes could be claimed as on-board equipment, not to mention a lost ditch bag with a hand-held VHF and 8 pairs of Manolo Blahniks!
Last edited by tex on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

I keep receiving discounts on my marine insurance because I have not had a loss. I have lost my dock twice. This last storm my 23' sailboat sunk because of the dock landing on top but refloated after the dock moved off of the boat. I wonder how the s/v would have faired in the Keys in a canal?

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”