Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Insulation

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
LadyHolland
Your Vessel Info: 1964 TSDY Steel motor cruiser Van Lent design 50 ft

Insulation

Postby LadyHolland » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi there, we have just bought a 1964 Dutch built steel motor boat and it is in need of insulation and this is a good time to do it due to the forepeak being taken back to the basics. Does anyone have any ideas? We are looking at foam but this does mean that we may have to dismantle a lot of the boat. We are under qualified/ over spent and due to live on her very soon. Cheers M&S

tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Re: Insulation

Postby tex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:24 pm

I’ve been redoing the pilothouse roof with some padded vinyl over 5/8” aluminum faced 4 x 8’ sheets of building foam, but the roof is prerty flat. If I had to do it on steel, I’d probably laminate thinner sheets of building styrofoam on top of one another to conform to the hull, or if the space was really curved, maybe the spray on stuff. Check the R-factors on all the options before you decide. Best of luck.
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

tex

Postby tex » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Here’s a shot of the aluminum faced foam board before I upholstered over it. Using contact cement, one could bend maybe 10 degrees over the length of the 7 ft. panel without wrinkling the padded vinyl. Without the foam backing, probably twice that or more. For ultimate flex, the monkey fur stuff works best and there’s several YouTube videos demonstrating the process under “gluing boat headliner”.
Attachments
C4CDEED6-177A-4ED0-ACE3-C582733C1732.jpeg

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Would rust form behind the panel?

tex

Postby tex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Steel tends to sweat as with most materials having a temperature difference between the inner and outer atmosphere. Depending on the condition of the metal now, I would want a good thick coat of primer and paint before. If it’s already rusty, Ospho is your best friend.
Attachments
38A6A566-6C8F-4E93-A51F-AF9EB3242F08.png

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”