Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Danger of Jupiter Inlet

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Danger of Jupiter Inlet

Postby tex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm

A few years ago, I let Captain Charlie take my precious Bucky out Jupiter Inlet in a 6 ft. chop. It was a couple of hours of very challenging cork bobbing. although the boat never blinked.

This drone video is reportedly by a guy who lives nearby and takes video whenever the Inlet gets rough. Anyway, this one shows how not to run the inlet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz5WKWlIrv/
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Re: Danger of Jupiter Inlet

Postby CaptForce » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm fairly conservative. Over the 45 years that I cruised Florida waters I never put myself in the position where I would need to enter Hillsborough Inlet, Jupiter Inlet or even St. Augustine Inlet if it was on the needed term of a dredging. I would go out at these if it was flat, but always with an alternate for returning.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm

We were actually in Jupiter that weekend (NOT in a boat, there was a tropical depression that passed thru at the same time).... Funny thing was, there was nothing on the local news about that boat sinking... And "now Tex".... Yes I did go out Jupiter Inlet with YOUR boat, but even you have to admit the weather was perfect and we arrived 2 day faster by my masterful move......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

Postby tex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post . And "now Tex".... Yes I did go out Jupiter Inlet with YOUR boat, but even you have to admit the weather was perfect and we arrived 2 day faster by my masterful move......

Yeah, I remember that day. A guy standing on the rocks of that jetty sent me this photo of poor Bucky headed out into that misery.
Attachments
E96FB9D0-DEEA-47D7-BA0B-C5C63B086022.jpeg
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

Robin
Has Liked: 117 times
Been Liked: 45 times

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

no wonder bits of ceiling trim fell off. :lol: need more engine power to get up that hill too. :?:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”