Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fernandina Harbor Marina Update

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Fernandina Harbor Marina Update

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:41 pm

The marina is still basically shut down from Hurricane Matthew and will be for a lot longer.... While most (if not all) the other marinas damaged by the storm are up and running...... Sadly ours is not... The city owns it and is waiting on FEMA to give out the money..

At the moment, you can anchor out and dingy in as they have opened a SMALL area for that... Cost is $3.21 a day... The mooring field is expected to be opened by spring, there there is plenty of area to anchor out...

Here's today's post from the newspaper about the marina...

Kevin McCarthy, owner of Amelia River Cruises

During the December 6, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Fernandina Beach City Commission, City Manager Dale Martin provided an update on the status of repair work to the city marina in response to a question from marina patron Kevin McCarthy.

Martin reported that marina manager Joe Springer has successfully relocated all the permanent slip holders. FEMA procurement training has been scheduled for December 8 in Jacksonville and will be attended by Fernandina Beach Fire Chief Silcox and Comptroller Patti Clifford. The focus of the training is to facilitate and assure compliance with the federal FEMA requirements.

The training precedes the official FEMA assistance kick-off event scheduled for Tuesday, December 13 at Fernandina Beach City Hall. This event involves city officials and FEMA representatives. That event begins the official 60-day period during which the city can request assistance for recovery efforts associated with Hurricane Matthew.
City Manager Dale Martin

Martin reported that the city is currently soliciting proposals for several smaller scale projects at the marina, tentatively approved by FEMA. Responses are due by December 22. But to be eligible for reimbursement FEMA has asked the city to demonstrate its compliance with federal procurement statutes. The training on December 8 will help the city in this regard.

A proposal to conduct a damage assessment of the floating breakwater has also received conditional approval, Martin reported. But the original proposal requested an allowance (a not-to-exceed amount), but FEMA requirements demand a specific fee. The allowance originally was about $21,000. If that allowance is reformulated as a specific fee, it will be eligible for FEMA reimbursement.

Martin credited both Chief Silcox and Comptroller Clifford for their efforts on behalf of the marina. He said that once the kick-off meeting is held, the city can gear up recovery work.

Ten bid projects are listed on the city’s website www.fbfl.us. Martin said that work would commence no later than mid January. He added that because of the wide impact of the hurricane, demand for many of the contractors is high throughout the area.
Fernandina Beach, FL - Official Website
Home
fbfl.us
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 93 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Re: Fernandina Harbor Marina Update

Postby RTB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:52 pm

I wonder how St. Augustine Municipal Marina got their moorings back up and running so soon? Most likely, the only thing needed is a competent inspection.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:39 am

The city has been wanting to expand the marina for years, but refused to pay for it, About 70% of the slips are cannot be used due to them being silted in.... Thanks to Matthew, the city now can get the money needed to rebuild, "so what if it causes boaters to by pass us, which affects a lot of stores who rely on boaters money"...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:53 am

["edit" is a great thing... Will try LATER to actually get the pictures to download.... Hence the "hasslement" of the post that follows thig..
Last edited by Jaxfishgyd on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 92 times

Postby CaptForce » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 am

'Got me! I did try scrolling up and down to find the mystery differences between these two photos!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Postby scallywag » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:47 pm

St. Augustine inspects their moorings. How often and when I do not know. I have a huge anchor. I prefer to depend on that anchor instead of a mooring that will not hold(?) in a hurricane. The St. Augustine Marina contract says to leave during a hurricane. I wish the contract said to stay during a hurricane. My hook will hold in a hurricane. I know I will not be able to retrieve the anchor. Oh well. :lol:

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:19 pm

003.jpg
004.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:00 am

As of today, the mooring field is still closed, they are going to wait till Feb or March to have them inspected and repaired as this is the 'slow season'... Yet we still see boats pull up to the balls and will even put their dingy over to untie the ball lines that are also marked as "closed" Then the employee has to tell them to get off of it and drop their anchor outside the field...
A dingy dock has been opened, $3.21 a day...
Bids have been taken for some minor repairs...
But looks like 2018 at the earliest before transients or anyone can use the main outside dock as that dock has been said to need all new pilings and dock......
Again, the city is more interested in getting FEMA money than catering to boaters....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 pm

And here's Dec 30th latest:
City Marina

City Manager Martin updated commissioners on the status of marina repairs related to Hurricane Matthew. He reported that the 60 day period to file claims with FEMA has begun. Bids have gone out for 10 repair projects. Currently the city is awaiting an assessment of breakwater damage. Within 30 days the marina will return to “a substantial level of service.”
Marina Manager Joe Springer explains marina expansion plans contingent on Corps of Engineers agreeing to relocate channel.

Martin and Marina Manager Joe Springer spoke to challenges and plans for making the marina bigger and better. The mooring field is being increased from 24 to 100 mooring balls. An outstanding question remains with respect to expanding the marina northward. The city is awaiting a decision from the Army Corps of Engineeers to grant permission to eliminate the bend in the current channel and move it westward between two existing marker buoys. A favorable decision could mean the addition of a 4th dock. No additional planning/action can occur until the Corps of Engineers issues its decision.
Future marina dock configuration conforming to 1996 ATM study recommendations

The city has apparently fallen back on a plan developed by ATM in 1996 that would have resulted in marina expansion and a solution to the siltation problem that requires the city to dredge the marina basin every 2-3 years. The original plan was not executed after having been deemed too expensive; yet, as commissioners pointed out, the city must budget $300K every two years for dredging, which results in only a temporary solution to a longstanding problem.

Springer briefed the commissioners on the changing nature of marina customers. He said that while dinghys and small local craft could continue to use the south end of the marina, the transient traffic consists of boats which are 40 feet or more. Those craft would dock at the north end and on the outer dock. Springer also told commissioners that currently the captain’s lounge contains 3 bathrooms. If the marina expands to include 75-100 boats, facilities for the boaters will also need to expand.

Commissioners agreed that the marina issues tied in with waterfront problems in general and should be considered as part of a master planning exercise. Poynter said, “All of these problems cannot be treated as a one-off. That’s why we have been unable to make progress in the past.”
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Postby RTB » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for your continuing updates Capt Charlie. Encouraging is the comment "that in 30 days the marina will return to a substantial level of service".

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:50 pm

If you scroll down the page, you will see a diagram on how the city wants the marina to end up. All docks going parallel to the current instead of a lot of slips... Plus new docks on the North side of the marina. They will also remove the breakwater that has caused the marina to silt in...
http://fernandinaobserver.com/2016/12/1 ... nd-beyond/
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Postby RTB » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:45 pm

100 moorings seems excessive to me. I've always been able to get one when passing through in November and in the spring/summer months. Maybe we've just been lucky? I don't think there would be enough dinghy dock space to support that many moorings. Probably going to need to add a pump-out boat as well. Comments?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:08 pm

I've never seen all 20 existing ones in use at one time, 70% of the boats drop anchor as there's a huge area they can do so... Pump out boat I don't see happening (but what do I know)
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Postby RTB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:50 pm

It seems someone is getting greedy, but now would be the time for expansion/upgrades if possible. Hopefully, they can be back up and running before the spring migration north begins. I wish them all the best.

Interesting, the seasons are really ebb and flow on this east coast. Someone that has never experienced it would be very surprised. We've been part of the migration in the past, and didn't really see the big picture. I have a new perspective now. I've still got boats leaving this week, but making reservations for their return in April, May, and June.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Today I was told there will also be a pump out boat for those who do anchor out/ use mooring balls..the money for it was approved before the hurricane hit.... But (of course) no time table on it...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”