Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

On track for loop launch in March

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 124 times

On track for loop launch in March

Postby tex » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:27 pm

The Admiral remains certain about our loop launch in March. Still a half dozen projects on the boat to complete and at least one haul-out to spruce up the water line where the bottom paint seems to be chipping off. I figure the shake-down cruise will be through the Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart, then haul-out for the touch-up and maybe replace a seacock and clean the running gear. It will be the first time we've cruised more than three days or so. Initially, we may pay more visits to the marinas till she gains more confidence at anchor. I figure by the time we get to Fernandina, the beer stash should be gone, saving the border tax :D .
Fixing, spending, and occasional cruising in FL

originalvision
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: On track for loop launch in March

Postby originalvision » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:24 am

Good for you Tex, that's awesome!! My German Admiral would have us leaving right now if she had her way, but the boat is far from ready. Still have to finish the outboard conversion, build the folding queen berth and some new cabinets. But the new head is done, complete with fresh/raw water switching valves for shower and flushes. An adequate size holding tank and Lectra-san. An old Crown electric head from a coast guard cutter... it can flush a pineapple! The cruising kitty is far from full this year as well. Although, I would have no problem taking our time with working stops along the way, I just don't want to get stuck somewhere in the cold!

scallywag
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 46 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Congrats....Wish you well.

John

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post I figure by the time we get to Fernandina, the beer stash should be gone, saving the border tax :D .

If you find your beer supply gone after clearing Fernandina, you can stop in here for free beer the next day. This is a nice stop.
Half of the fun of extended cruising is the planning. Enjoy!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

I agree with RTB... Actually you need to come here in Fernandina to do the "spruce up".. I know the marina's owners here... ;)
And you always are in need of information so while your here you can buy lots of beer... Besides, both our admirals get along great...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Besides, both our admirals get along great...

Yeah, and they don't drink much beer either!

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 am

My old Caribe dinghy is pretty tired and has had at least one injection of tube sealer to get her holding air again. There's one of these Terhi's for sale locally...thinking about it but they are pricey. Get a load of this video though.
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 1012 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwumPiCN_U

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 103 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby RTB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post The Admiral remains certain about our loop launch in March.

It will be the first time we've cruised more than three days or so.

Initially, we may pay more visits to the marinas till she gains more confidence at anchor.

Do you have an idea about how long you plan to take, doing the loop? Almost too much to see in a year or two. Doing the Okeechobee, you will miss the Everglades. There are some remote (and very awesome) anchorages there. The Keys also offer some incredible opportunities for beautiful scenery, and peaceful anchorages in near Bahamas clear water. The down side would be (for some) the stretch from Miami to the St. Lucie Inlet, but I found it enjoyable.

Cruising for an extended amount of time is what we love. You just need to find your own pace. Don't rush. It's easy to push for miles, but eventually you'll need to stop and take a break. It really is challenging to find your pace at first. If you find an anchorage that you find relaxing, just hang out on the hook for a day or two. Read a book or what ever you like to do, and re-charge.

Save the marinas for bad weather, or when you need water, fuel, and re-provisioning.

Hopefully, you'll keep us up to date as you make your way. I'm really looking forward to what you share here.

All the best.....
Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

They lived on Biscayne Bay in Miami for several years.... Know S. Florida well......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:01 pm

I do not think Floridians will do well in the Great Lakes...Too cold :lol:

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 am

Ralph has a good point. As it is, we will be leaving a bit late for the loop, thanks to renters and responsibilities in late March. We may set the Chesepeake for a goal this year and see how it goes. It's not a good year to do the Trent Severn Canal in Canada due to this year's celebration and free passage on the canal for Canadians. Maybe we'll do half the loop and put the boat in heated storage. We just did a small three day cruise south, and both of us realize we're not in a hurry to "achieve" destinations, loops or otherwise. We lean toward the Aythya' example of cruising.

originalvision
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby originalvision » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:25 am

Yeah, maybe just the "short loop" through Okechobee, down to the Keys and back up the Gulf side. I think that will be our shakedown next year.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Now OFF TRACK for Loop launch in March. Red Tide, dental issues and late vendors have put us weeks behind the boat prep. We're dropping the loop as the goal and settling for full-time cruising when we can arrange it, most likely heading to the keys and up the eastern seaboard. That way we can benefit from the Aythya Crew's depth of knowledge in anchorages and stops, hoping that they might have written the "Discriminating Boater's East Coast Cruising" bible by then.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 99 times

Postby CaptForce » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 am

Tex, You know there will be no book, but I'll remain our personal anchoring valet. Anytime you're planning a route, I'll provide some choices for anchoring and passage choices.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag

Postby scallywag » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:32 am

Lunch/Dinner on me when you arrive in St. Augustine. Just give us a holler. If you need beer for the Fernandina beer tax we will know the cheapest price in town. :lol:

Dot and John

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”