Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Interior lighting

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 165 times

Interior lighting

Postby tex » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:33 pm

We’ve talked about Options of interior lighting before, but on our last week-long jaunt down south, we were couped up inside quite a but and realized that our previously romantically lit interior had nothing romantically lighting it. The old overhead 12V fixtures were ...well, functional. :( Upon arriving home, we started looking for lamps to restore that rich, warm feeling it once had with 110V incandescent fixtures, all of which were stripped in the interior wall project.

We were searching for heavy brass wall sconces to place against the tongue & groove teak bulkheads but the cost :shock: ! The cheap tinny stuff just didn’t seem right. Finally found this used pair of heavy brass units at the local Women’s Exchange for $9 each! Now comes the decision to wire them for 110 or 12V.

What kind of interior lighting are live-aboard folks using here? Can LED’s actually be warm and cozy, or do I stick to incandescent? Thanks for the feedback in advance.
Attachments
8FEDB1F5-EF52-41C3-9380-9C7A1DE59B02.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Re: Interior lighting

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:36 am

Basically we light up on our 12v system aside from a couple of table lamps, one in the main cabin one in the owner's cabin. We have multiple LED lights throughout, all running on 12v including a couple of brass 'pointables' aka berth lights with after market LED bulbs (warm color) Had dinner on a friend's sailboat last night which had all ceiling recessed 240VAC down lights, seemed nice to me too. Our galley/dining area is all LED it, all 12v dc plus a couple of extra stick up cordless AAA ones that are even remote controllable to light dim corners.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:23 pm

I used my current fixtures and replaced the bulbs with LED. What a selection. Some led's are a soft white and others are a sunlight. Personally, we light the sunlight bulbs. These are a bright white light. Other bulbs are like the incandescent lights. These seem to be dull or soft intimment lights for wine and a lover.

John

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm

OK, so when you all have company over, are there any comments as to the ambiance? I’ll surely enjoy the bright white LED’s in the engine & machinery spaces, but in our living area, these overhead 12 volt fixtures really sucked! All comfort from the typically rich feeling it was built with is totally compromised.
Attachments
C5DA26B0-D420-44B5-B762-BE5FB117F1A8.jpeg

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Robin wrote:Source of the post We have multiple LED lights throughout, all running on 12v including a couple of brass 'pointables' aka berth lights.

Hmm. I do have some extras of these berth lights given to us from another Krogen owner. Like these?
Attachments
1B8B8804-A65B-452A-83CF-89BE9DB57944.jpeg

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:49 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post
Robin wrote:Source of the post We have multiple LED lights throughout, all running on 12v including a couple of brass 'pointables' aka berth lights.

Hmm. I do have some extras of these berth lights given to us from another Krogen owner. Like these?

Those are,exactly the berth lights we have, 2 in owners cabin two in main cabin and 2more in guest cabin., ok for reading lights but not good for overall area lighting. Ou main lights are circular surface mounted LED overhead ones, in stainless steel, plus in the galley and dining area recessed LED spotlights in the ceiling that have limited movememt, plus a few under cabinet ones as well.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 152 times
Been Liked: 28 times

Postby ka8uet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I've got a misture of CFLs and LEDs. CFLs are brighter (good for old eyes}. LEDs are nice color temp, and last longer.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 38 times

Postby janice142 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 am

Your light fixtures are great Larry. Very pretty.

Buy some LEDs.. one thing I discovered is that if I put in some of mine the "wrong" way they would be yellow whereas if I switched the bulb the opposite way they were white. Also, some bulbs don't work at all when "wrong" ...

I am used to dimmer lights so for me, bright is not best. I still have and use the oil lantern that was in my cabin when i was a little girl. It had originally come from one of the lobster boats Mother's family ran in Maine. This is the light:

Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Robin

Postby Robin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 am

What a beauty!

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Janice, I LOVE your light. I used oil lamps on my previous boat, but find I need more brightness as I get older. SIgh.

janice142

Postby janice142 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:29 pm

For my eyes, dimmer is better for the most part. That's probably because I grew up with oil and even when in a house (dreadful years/but the husband was good looking!) but anyway... I'm used to the softer lights. I have a couple of Christmas tree bulbs I use as lights when running electric.

The Aladdin is REALLY bright. It is also a source of heat in the wintertime and a great way to toast marshmallows...
Janice aboard Seaweed

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Wow, what a great old lantern! And even better, a warm & fuzzy heirloom to boot!

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Love that Aladdin! I have old fashioned oil lamps, have to remove chimney to toast marshmallows. Still fun, though.

janice142

Postby janice142 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:31 am

The Aladdin is my source of heat for the wintertime. I upgraded from a catalytic heater to the Aladdin. What I did not know first is that the catalytic heaters put off 750 BTUs. That's not terrible. However the Aladdin puts of between 2000 and 2500 BTUs -- I've read both numbers. It is significantly hotter.

Of course that means as a light source it will work great in the cold north and not so practical down south. Still, there were many times when I lit off my catalytic early in the morning to take off the damp chill of the boat. I believe the Aladdin will do that job better.

And a few years back I got cold -- could not get the boat warm one awful day at anchor while on the panhandle of Florida. I was told the water was unusually cold and theorize that is why I had the difficulty. I could and did get my cabin warm, but the galley area was too much for the catalytic heater. Frankly that was very disturbing.

Thankfully it was only one particularly frigid day. The only one I've spent at anchor that was seriously unpleasant in the galley. I do most of my living at my dinette in the galley.

What was odd is that I'd been in 15 degree weather over on the east coast in Georgia and could/did get the boat warm. The water temperature made the difference I suppose. Thank goodness for electric blankets, eh? The 12-volt kind are a real blessing.

I bought my Aladdin Genie III from http://lehmans.com when it went on sale with free shipping.
Janice aboard Seaweed

ka8uet

Postby ka8uet » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Lehman's is an Amish store/supply house in Kidron, Ohio; not too far from where i lived on land. It's great fun to go down there, except I always want to buy the entire store! They have non=electric refrigerators, heaters, washers, dryers, everything you can think of and a lot you wouldn't!! They have great cast iron cookware, all kinds of cookie cutters, and on and on! I love that place! Lots of stuff that would be suitable for boats, too.

I have a reverse cycle AC/heater. It's better at AC than it is at heat, but I've used it both ways. I"m a big fan of lots of blankets and a warm puppy dog.

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”