Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement dinghy

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 53 times

Re: Replacement dinghy

Postby Robin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm

You are supposed to hook the fish not the dinghy. :lol: My son in England has a 25ft RIB He uses for offshore fishing in rough places like tide races, close to rocks etc and has not snagged a tube yet ( he says 8-) ) But I can see It could well worry some folk, including me.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Postby tex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Well, after zero support in the effort, I finally replaced our blown-out dinghy with a much younger, somewhat smaller 8’10” Walker Bay Genesis Rib. Bought a new Honda air-cooled 2.3 outboard for ICW use and still have the 9.9 for the Islands if we ever get there. Investment was 1.5 boat bucks. Now that we have a working dinghy again, the Admiral thinks it was a good idea. :roll:
Attachments
C4182516-7BF8-48C7-93EE-A39A520A749F.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby ka8uet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Robin, you had the same idea I did about painting a mural on the underide of the dink! I have a portabote, which i have not yet used. I think I would have to use the crane to lower it, and KNOW I would have to use the crane for the engine!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Postby tex » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Where do you keep that dinghy, Helen? Don’t you have a set of davits on the stern?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby ka8uet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:49 pm

No, she's folded up and tied to the starboard side lifelines forward.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”