Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Not Just a VHF Radio

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Re: Not Just a VHF Radio

Postby tex » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Nice feature. The Admiral would appreciate it, but the cats probably wouldn't.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Postby RTB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:26 pm

I guess a tornado warning does warrant some kind of alarm. It was loud for sure. Plus, my phone was going off with a weather warning too. TOO darned much drama for me. I'll hide with your cats!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby janice142 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post I learned something new about this radio today. We've been under tornado warnings on and off since this morning. Well, if it's not a hurricane coming our way, it's something else! So, I had the new VHF on, and monitoring channel 16. At some point, this very loud, shrill alarm goes off on the radio scaring the heck out of me since I was 12'' away at the nav station. Hit any button to stop the alarm, and it automatically went to our local weather on channel 4, where warnings were being issued. Pretty cool. Not sure all other modern radios do this?

That is the Wx Alert and it is supposed to do that. To make it stop/shut off the alerts simply hold down the Wx button. You'll hear a double beep. On screen I see MEM Wx ALT with the Wx portion flashing on and off when the weather alert is on. Otherwise no Wx . Also the alert tests each Wednesday at noon I think.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Topic author
RTB

Postby RTB » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for the tip and your recent posts!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

janice142

Postby janice142 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the tip and your recent posts!

With pleasure... I confess it is nice to see familiar faces, or at least boats, on the forum. There's nothing going on today aboard Seaweed. I confess I've taken the day off to play, read and surf the internet. I've got a manatee that's been hanging out off my transom.

Here's a photo:

Janice aboard Seaweed

Topic author
RTB

Postby RTB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Are you still someplace in Florida, Janice?
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

tex

Postby tex » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:33 am

Yeah, Janice! I hope you’re not hanging out in this Red Tide area. Eva will be back from Germany in three weeks. If it’s still here, we’ll be throwing the cats aboard Bucky and head north.

janice142

Postby janice142 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 pm

RTB wrote:Source of the post Are you still someplace in Florida, Janice?

Yes. I am on the gulf coast west of Tampa Bay on the peninsula.

I had wondered about the red tide down where you are. It's dreadful. Heading north is a good plan.
Eva's quite a gal. I like her. I'm glad she's in fresh air now too. Breathing is not safe, especially by the water. When she comes home if you're heading up this coast let me know.

Departure for Seaweed is 16 October 2018. (Year added on purpose!) I'd meant to be over on the east coast in February of this year... I missed that.

Later this month I'm going to attempt to get a car driver's license. In order to have boat insurance (required for marinas) I have to have a car license. That defies logic, however I am in the process of jumping through the hoops necessary. I took a FOUR hour online class to learn drugs are bad. What a waste of time and perfectly good money that was. Argh.

Right now I'm cleaning this girl (Seaweed) from stem to stern. That was on the agenda two weeks ago and is not yet started.

I don't know where the time goes. It seems like I blink and another week is gone. On the other hand I've been writing and that takes a lot of time.

Still haven't finished my latest manatee article (there was a baby Larry -- so tiny it still was touching the mom!)
Of course instead of writing about it for the website I checked the inbox. Thus I'm here...

I was on Amazon too. They have books!
I picked up a few at gutenberg too. http://gutenberg.org

Such is life aboard Seaweed
Janice aboard Seaweed

ka8uet
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:34 am

Janice, I know what you mean about the time!!! ALso boat projects. My port hull bilge pump seems to have packed it in. Am using a battery powered pump to empty bilge, but then must haul bucket topsides to dump, sloshing water all the way. Hope I can fix pump, rather than replace.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 am

'Blue sky' thinking Helen, repair pump but also find and stop water ingress? Water is supposed to be/stay on the outside of boats even those with two hulls! I have spent thousands of hours over te years ridding boats of leaks, from outside or inside sources and am a firm believer of having dusty bilges. Luckily the previous owner of our current boat was of a similar mind and even left us a vac cleaner to suck up the bilge dust. I'm thinking of making a drop in dust pan tray in the galley area so crumbs can be kept out of the bilges too and easily disposed of. :idea:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

tex

Postby tex » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:07 pm

I’ve never had a dry bilge. Stays about a half inch deep. Also never had an odor issue but I’ve considered those sponge-like bilge sippers you see at the boat shows. Just hasn’t been a priority. Of course, my A/C condenser drain also goes into the bilge. I’d have to pump it out with still another sump somewhere. The shower and sinks are gravity drain to waterline.

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Been Liked: 56 times

Postby Robin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 am

tex wrote:Source of the post I’ve never had a dry bilge. Stays about a half inch deep. Also never had an odor issue but I’ve considered those sponge-like bilge sippers you see at the boat shows. Just hasn’t been a priority. Of course, my A/C condenser drain also goes into the bilge. I’d have to pump it out with still another sump somewhere. The shower and sinks are gravity drain to waterline.

We have no aircons now but when we did on trawler(had3) and sailboat(2) had them plumbed to an Atwood shower sump with integral automatic pump and draining into main bilge pump outlet pipe which never got used in anger except to test. The calorifier overflow and fridge drains went to same sump. Current boat, fridge is not plumbed in although new one just fitted has a drain, blanked off currently, should we decide to, tiny amount of condensate it produces remains to be mopped/sponged inside the box. Not an American size fridge however. Biggest gain is none of our fixed or opening windows, hatches or portlights leak unless left open in unexpected rainfall. our hot water calorifier tank overflow is fed to a one gallon plastic can which we empty every 3 days (immersion heater is on 24/7). one day it will get the plumbed in treatment too. on a trip engines heat water and can needs emptying daily. Possibly it needs a new relief valve set to a higher pressure. Previous owner switched off electic heater to it except if knowingly needing hot water for showers (boil kettle for dishes)
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

ka8uet
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Am going to be heading to place where boat can be pulled an leak found and fixed. I"m too short to reach the bilge pump, even lying on the floor. I have a reacher which will lift it, but I"ve still got to get it far enough out to see the problem and repair same, or replace pump. I also prefer my bilges dusty. And with spider webs.

janice142

Postby janice142 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 pm

ka8uet wrote:Source of the post Janice, I know what you mean about the time!!! ALso boat projects. My port hull bilge pump seems to have packed it in. Am using a battery powered pump to empty bilge, but then must haul bucket topsides to dump, sloshing water all the way. Hope I can fix pump, rather than replace.

Depending up on the height of the lift required for your bilge pump, I was rather pleasantly surprised by the SeaSense bilge pumps at $30 (automatic) versus the more expensive by double Rule's of the same/similar capacity. I am using the 800gph as the primary pump.

Two Johnson 2k pumps with separate float switches are installed further back/higher in the bilge.

Also, a hint... At Dollar Tree they sell a water squirter thing. It's about 2.5' long and looks like a giant syringe. I use it to get the small spots in Algae, to rinse off the swim platform. It's quite handy for getting down into the small areas on sailboats where water collects.
Janice aboard Seaweed

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Postby CaptForce » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 am

janice142 wrote:Source of the post
ka8uet wrote:Source of the post Janice, I know what you mean about the time!!! ALso boat projects. My port hull bilge pump seems to have packed it in. Am using a battery powered pump to empty bilge, but then must haul bucket topsides to dump, sloshing water all the way. Hope I can fix pump, rather than replace.

Depending up on the height of the lift required for your bilge pump, I was rather pleasantly surprised by the SeaSense bilge pumps at $30 (automatic) versus the more expensive by double Rule's of the same/similar capacity. I am using the 800gph as the primary pump.

Two Johnson 2k pumps with separate float switches are installed further back/higher in the bilge.

Also, a hint... At Dollar Tree they sell a water squirter thing. It's about 2.5' long and looks like a giant syringe. I use it to get the small spots in Algae, to rinse off the swim platform. It's quite handy for getting down into the small areas on sailboats where water collects.

Well, the pump is nice, but what is spectacular about this photo? What strikes me is the pristine clarity of the bilge water,- not the slightest oil sheen, no grey suspension of particles. There aren't many that could show so well!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”