Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Summer Heat

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Summer Heat

Postby scallywag » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:28 pm

This is a topic for CaptForce and Ralph....How do you deal with Summer Heat. Ralph is from Texas. CaptForce traveled North. Katie and Jessie did not like the heat in the South. As long as you did not have heat stroke, how do you handle the heat? After working for a few hours, I rest in the shade. Air conditioning does not help my body the next morning. Your thoughts... :|

tex
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 165 times

Re: Summer Heat

Postby tex » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:52 pm

It's the other way around for me, Scal. Once I'm over-heated, it takes me quite a while to cool down. Inflammation and discomfort follow. Between years of heat in Miami, I was three years in Berlin. While most people think that continental climate is miserable, for me it was great. Heck, I even loved taking hot baths after a day in the frequent cold, rainy conditions that the city was famous for.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Postby CaptForce » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 am

It's true that I did cruise up to New England for many summers after I retired, but like Capt Charlie, I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and without air conditioning until I was twelve. I have been riding my bicycle a couple miles each day in these 90+ degree afternoons wearing a wet T-shirt. While I was still teaching, we would cruise south in the summers. Sure, I'd stay in the shade and drink plenty of water during the day and sleep in the breeze uncovered at night. I do like air conditioning, but I do well in the heat,- bottom line, for me it's clothing- 'loose white cotton outside in the day and maybe a light cotton sheet at night. I think it's what your adapted to over a long time. I'm beginning to adjust to living where you can often see your breath in the cold winters of North Florida. I'll choose the heat!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Postby RTB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Once we left Texas in November of 2012, our goal was to get to someplace warmer in the winter. Never did we look for a place that would be cooler in the summer. South of Miami works for us for winters. Summer time is all about where we will be safest for hurricane season. I'm not willing to run all the way to Nova Scotia to stay cool in the summer.

Maybe the West Coast offers less seasonally demanding climates? How about shipping your boat to San Francisco if you like colder temps? What range of temps would one have to deal with in San Diego? Just pointing out some options here.

Drifting from the topic here, my biggest challenge is winter. We do run a ceramic heater when at the dock. It's the only time I exceed the basic electric charges. We used 11 KWH of electric last month. Winter is MUCH higher. Condensation and mold are our enemy in the winter. Summer, a couple of fans keep things more or less comfortable.

Just give me bathing suit and flip-flop weather, and I'm a happy camper.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

From being born/raised in S. Florida and spending all my time outdoors in my youth, to my 42 yrs working outside as a telephone repair tech.... I can tell you... the older one gets, the worse the heat gets.... The only thing that worked for me at the end of my career (retired in 2012) was to drown myself drinking water and gatoraid from the minute I got up till I went to bed, everytime I got out of/in to my work truck I drank 12 oz of cold something..... But even then, in the summertime I would sweat till 1am- 3am...
Now I still drink a lot (most beer, but that's getting off the subject)...... but now really play a "union role", work 15-30 mins, then rest in the shade for 10-30 mins.... Had a guy at the marina next door taken off by EMS last week for over heating and had a heart attack....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

ka8uet
Has Liked: 151 times
Been Liked: 28 times

Postby ka8uet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 pm

I do NOT do well in the heat, so I've been hiding out in the AC on the boat. If it's unusually hot at night, I sponge down with cool water and turn on the fans.

Return to “Living Aboard”