Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

First night cruising hot summer anchorages

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

First night cruising hot summer anchorages

Postby tex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Difficult night in Pelican Bay in Gulf Coast SW Florida on our first journey of overnight anchorages along the coast. There were dead fish and Red Tide almost the whole way down from Sarasota. Late to bed from the heat, turned on the gen and A/C and was ok till about 3 AM when the gen shut down. Three hours of very hot work and had it up again, couldn’t sleep tho, probably dropped 10 lbs in that process. Might as well have been an Indian sweat lodge. All working well now, but both of us need rest. Temperatures are about 90 so this idea of enjoying beautiful anchorages while being inside with A/C seems ridiculous. Eva senses red tide here as well. Cats were miserable and crying all night. Not a smooth cruising experience, but cruising. Bucky performing perfectly except for gen mishap. Clogged intake at seacock, so I removed and cleared. Consequently, due to water blockage, gen overheated & impeller came apart, had to steal one from rebuilt pump aboard. Later, gen intake plugged again with these dark jellies floating around the anchorage. Finally, we popped over to Cabbage Key for a dinner and plugged in for the night. Thank God for A/C. We all need time to cool down. Welcome to cruising!
Attachments
75414C51-71BF-4253-8D20-74B1672AC7B9.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 118 times

Re: First night cruising hot summer anchorages

Postby CaptForce » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 am

Tex, Let me share a couple of strategies that Nancie and I used to deal with the intake of debris at anchor. We were always more susceptible to sucking up weeds ans jellyfish at anchor,- 'a little speed underway and they blow by. The ultimate solution is a "sea chest". This is a large manifold made of a single good size intake into the chest and an array of supply water tubes for engines, generators, RO water-makers, etc. These are often on larger vessels with much engine room space. We used a Raritan ca. gallon sized raw water filter that's found in numerous marine supply catalogs. This is a strong plastic container with a big basket. I kept a second filter basket for the quick exchange after the 3 am jellyfish mob attack. My second defense was a "T" fitting placed on the effluent hose from my Raritan filter basket. I kept a hose from this "T" with the distill end well above the waterline and with a closed valve. I could blow debris off my raw water intake by attaching a pressure water source to this hose. This could be a wash down pump, but I used this more at the dock with a shore supply hose. The third and best solution is to cruise to Maine for the summer,- 'no Red Tide; no big swarms of jellyfish, no need for running the AC......

Nancie and I have now been living ashore for 18 months since selling Aythya. We've taken some exciting trips to some wondrous places,- Cuba, Estonia, Greenland,.... I still pause at the opened refrigerator door with the thrill of seeing all the bottles and cans standing straight up, but I do miss my ketch. 'take care and joy!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 pm

CaptForce, Glad to hear you and Nancie are doing well and traveling. How about posting some pictures? Tex, Janice aboard Seaweed came to mind. I do not think she has an air conditioner. I had a Carry On air conditioner aboard Scallywag. My son turned it down in the middle of the night when we were docked in Ft. Myers in August. That was before the Red Tide. Sailing on Delaware Bay in August, I wore dungarees and a heavy long sleeve demine shirt to keep warm. I also remember my dad telling me, he could not take the heat anymore and was returning to Florida. I also agree with CaptForce, GO NORTH YOUNG MAN, GO NORTH.

Dot and John

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Well, After a week out on the ICW, I guess we can say we all “adjusted”. Other than the genset shutdown issues, everything else worked well. Our first test of our fresh Walker Bay RIB and new Honda 2.3 air cooled outboard brought “hoots & hollers” from the Admiral. We were particularly smitten with the ease and access of the dinghy launch system, greatly complemented by the untried swim platform. Launch & retrieval took about two minutes for each. Hand crank winches with dynema and line locks instead of blocks & tackle made operation so simple.

Great advice above, have thought often about a sea chest but I’m not sure of where to locate it. It seems sensible to do one primarily for the main engine and generator, but the lines to the A/C raw water pump and wash-down will be pretty long. One thing for sure is the genset intake needs to be deeper in the water.

I’ve got a list of twenty or so fixes and changes to make while the Admiral is in Germany for six weeks. We’ll probably curb cruising over the summer and start out again in the fall. Thanks guys for the feedback.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 132 times
Been Liked: 54 times

Postby RTB » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 pm

So where are you these days, Tex? I have been seeing some disturbing photos and videos about red tide in Florida. What a sad mess!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 am

Yeah, we’ve got the Red Tide again. We lucked out for a while, but the whole coast from Sarasota to Marco Island is pretty bad. Huge fish kills.

Fortunately, my Admiral is in Germany for another 20 days, but if the Red Tide is still here when she returns, we’re out of here, probably north to Tarpon Springs or the Panhandle.

scallywag
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby scallywag » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm

The massive rain from the storm did not affect the red tide?

Dot and John

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:20 am

It seems so. Our level has dropped here to the point that one can breathe, but two nights ago, we walked for about 4 minutes in south Longboat Key, and the Admiral was really hacking. Today it felt improved. The weekly report showed positive changes down the coast.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby janice142 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Red Tide has arrived here in Madeira Beach. My eyes are scratchy and red plus can't feel like I'm getting enough air.

As for a/c, yes I have a 5k BTU Haier up on the roof. It's under a MobyCool cover and to most, is invisible. I can only run it when at a dock or while the genny is running. Usually at anchor it is bearable for sleeping however with the Red Tide I'm not about to leave my hatches/windows or portlights open. For now I am hibernating.

Picture of room air conditioner atop the galley:

Of course the day it arrived here -- was an island south of here right by John's Pass, but surely it would not reach ME!!! Ha.

Well, anyway, I thought it would be a great idea to remount (finish that is) the installing of the new raised solar panel brackets. I made them from starboard. The two 85watts are perfection as is without any further tweaking. It's the two 100 watt panels and my original 75 that were the problem.

You see, I'd used oak as part of the raise and that oak rotted out after ten years. Who'd a thunk that!?! Well, it did. So while I was doing the cockpit panel it seemed like a good idea to redo the ones over the pilothouse. Those were okay, but nothing goes as planned.

Say nightmare. It is done now. I had to have a friend come aboard to help with some of the tightening down as I could not reach the bolts/nuts in the middle.

Now that it's done I am pleased. It was hot though. I did work in the early morning and then late afternoon. Still, it was not pleasant. And every project entails exploding the boat for tools, parts, that one more thing (like the drill shorting out mid-way through the project... thankfully I had a second drill, but you know how boat projects go?!?

What I did not realize is that the algae was here when I was working. I thought the scratchy eyes was a result of being in the bright sunlight. And it got progressively worse. In any event, that's one project done hopefully permanently.

I'm done now. And should be finishing up the next article but instead I'm playing here. Y'all are fun so I thought I'd take some time off to play.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

ka8uet
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm

I got masks yo wear as we go further south, I have asthma, so don't like to take chances. Also, the dog is having trouble breathing. We have the blue-green stuff on this side, which is bad enough. Lake Erie has had a lot of trouble with it for the last several years. Have to quote a song "When will they ever learn, when will they eeeeever learn?""

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:52 pm

Holy Smokes, you two. Both of our Forum Queens are now at risk. Janice...Eva has had about enough here in Longboat. I’m not sure how much longer she can stay here. I was thinking about moving her up to Tarpon Springs find a temporary hotel, then take an Uber back to get the boat. Cats have to come too.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby janice142 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 am

We have had two days of winds from the east. IF that does as I am hoping, the algae will be blown back out into the gulf. Temperatures are decreasing too. I am hopeful that this blight shall soon be over. Heavy rains such as we had today will help too.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

ka8uet
Has Liked: 147 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Postby ka8uet » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

It took a frost to kill it in Lake Erie. A couple of years ago it shut down Toledo's water intake. Whole city was taking empty jugs to Bowling Green, which is inland, to get water! City council groused but finally spent the money for new, more effective filters and treatment. Lots of closed beaches, and fishing charters. BIG financial hit.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:06 pm

ka8uet wrote:Source of the post It took a frost to kill it in Lake Erie. A couple of years ago it shut down Toledo's water intake. Whole city was taking empty jugs to Bowling Green, which is inland, to get water! City council groused but finally spent the money for new, more effective filters and treatment. Lots of closed beaches, and fishing charters. BIG financial hit.

Well it’s not that bad yet, but the businesses are crying. I think political pressure is rising. Governor Scott was accosted by red tide protesters just a few days ago. The Longboat Key Club hotel had 250 rooms rented this time last year. Last I heard they only had 48 this year.

Topic author
tex

Postby tex » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 pm

So far, one wife and one cat have abandoned our Longboat Key residence. According to the latest data, the red tide is breaking up a bit. Still, the classic trouble months for red tide history are just beginning now (October through March). I hope not, cuz I’d sure like to get some cruising done in the cooler weather.
Attachments
395BA6C8-293B-4DDC-BF9E-E7CF897990CB.png

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”