Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Greetings and Q please on towels aboard

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
CaptLui
Your Vessel Info: Alvidia 30´ self built in Melbourne, Australia, stip planking/fiberglass, sloop, roomy little giant & cozy

Greetings and Q please on towels aboard

Postby CaptLui » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Howdy! I am about to go back livingaboard after a break up of almost twenty years. I was in and around the Australian east coast from Melbourne to Darwin. Hope to re-learn with you guys and Ladys how to do things :-) Now, for start how about to answer a Q from my wife, she asked me how we will keep towels dry after shower and I said "well, the way we did aboard Alvidia (our 30 footer built with our own hands back then)" but actually I don´t remember if we even bother to have dry towels at all that time. Please help? It is almost a case of mayday!!!

PS: without hanging out on the cockpit, so I heard these days people complaining about almost everything some thou with good reason of course...

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 127 times
Been Liked: 53 times

Re: Greetings and Q please on towels aboard

Postby RTB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Well, on our 36' sailboat, we don't have much choice. Hang the towel on a lifeline. If I had a Nordhavn, I'd throw the damp towel in the dryer. If you are on a sailboat, it is possible to hang a towel some place in your cockpit...maybe over the wheel or tiller. Maybe inside the dodger. Less obvious than the lifelines if that bothers you. If at a marina, use their dryers, but anchored out, not much choice.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 53 times

Postby Robin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:49 am

Our marina rules say no drying washing hung out in sight. We use the excellent marina washers and dryers which are reasonably enough priced. Towels, in between laundry days are hung inside our full cockpit canopy out of sight but we use microfiber 'travel' specials that are ultra quick drying, plus we first dry off with a face cloth that can be wrung dry several times. too saving soaking the towel
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 115 times

Postby CaptForce » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 am

We always recognized that 'saltwater" towels would never fully dry. We were able to dry our towels by rinsing our bodies with fresh water before toweling dry after swimming in sea water. When we were at marinas that frowned upon hanging towels on lifelines, we hung them from the bimini top frames under the cover, but still open to the breeze.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby janice142 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Aboard Seaweed I have chosen to use small thin towels. Thick towels take too long to dry. Or I simply dry off with a moisturizing lotion.

I also use what might normally be considered a day towel because it is pretty and I like it. This one:
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

tex
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Postby tex » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:40 am

We agree with Janice. Thin, absorbant material like shammy is easiest to pack aboard and easy to ring out...dries much faster. We hang ours on a line in the veranda.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

janice142

Postby janice142 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:54 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post We agree with Janice. Thin, absorbant material like shammy is easiest to pack aboard and easy to ring out...dries much faster. We hang ours on a line in the veranda.

I have thought about getting a shammy... a "real" one as the fakes feel icky. I seem to remember having one when I was a kidlet... many many years ago. I might look into seeing if I can find another piece. Are there any "care" concerns? Something to do (or not) in taking care of the shammy?

For now I do not need one... just curiosity.
I've seen "silver thread" hiker's towels on Amazon that are supposed to be wonderful. I'm concerned about the feel though. I prefer soft to scratchy.
Janice aboard Seaweed

tex
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 151 times

Postby tex » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:29 am

I can only say don’t use the shammy for salt water. They seem to stink after. For fresh water, rinse and ring every drip you can right away.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

janice142

Postby janice142 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks... I do like a towel to dry fast. Today was laundry day. I'm tired but every thing aboard Seaweed is clean and dry, except my hair. The hair always takes a long time.

Life is good.
Thanks for the hint re a chamois. If I find one I'll be sure to keep it for fresh water only.

Seaweed has a spigot in the cockpit so after swimming I rinse off the salt water before tracking through the boat to my shower down below. I have taken showers out there too in more remote areas.
Janice aboard Seaweed

ka8uet
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby ka8uet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 pm

I use my swimming towels, which dry quickly. I just hang them on hooks in the head, outside the shower. I have dried some laundry in the cockpit by using my cane stuck between the wheel and my seat. Not very noticeable from outside the boat. My boat has AC, whick helps with drying towels and hand laundry.

Return to “Living Aboard”