Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tossing the idea around for living aboard in Seattle!

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
Mushu84
Your Vessel Info: Thinking about a 34' - 40' trawler.
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Tossing the idea around for living aboard in Seattle!

Postby Mushu84 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 am

Hey-o!

Recently the thought of living aboard has been getting louder and louder. With the stupidly high rents for even the smallest of small apartments, as well as pet fees + pet rent, in Seattle, and the un-affordability of buying a home anywhere in the PNW, living aboard is really starting to sound rather quite enticing. An acquaintance of mine currently lives in a 27' sailboat in Shilshole Bay Marina(Ballard, Wa), and a friend has a 30' sailboat he is refinishing to live aboard. Both seem quite happy, despite the downsizing in belongings and issues that come with owning a boat.

After doing some research, I believe that a 34' - 40' trawler will fit my needs, as I will need room for a small office(currently working on getting back into WFH Tech. Support), a cat, a Shiba Inu, and a decently sized flatscreen(I'm a gamer, and a bit of a movie junkie). The small house life is something I've been tossing around for awhile now. During my last work from home job, I was seriously thinking about living in a small apartment in Japan for a year or two, but that contract ended before I could *really* sit and make plans for it. Tiny living is one thing, but tiny living on the water sounds much more satisfying. From all the videos I've seen, the local live aboard communities seem so tight knit and welcoming.

All those happy thoughts aside, my biggest fear is regarding internet. My WFH Tech. Support contracts require high speed internet, and zero wifi. My work station will need to be hardwired to a cable modem, and I haven't found a marina that explicitly states whether or not it is an option. They all seem to proudly tout about free wifi for residents, but that wont serve my needs. My next worry is my animals. I'm not sure how warm it can get in the lower decks, and when I need to go out, and can't take the dog/let the cat wander as she pleases, I don't want my fur babies to cook! Then comes giving up on some long standing projects. I've got a '95 Honda Del Sol project car(she is stupid fast right now) that I've been rebuilding for the past 2 years. She's about 70% finished and drivable. I'm sure that in the end, she'd end up being a 1 - 2 day a month driver, and force me to pay tabs every year for only having driven her a few times. Knowing that, getting rid of her isn't something I *want* to do, but I also know I don't need her(I have a daily and a motorcycle), or to pay for her storage. The downsizing will be hard, but I don't have to tell any of you that, now do I?

Anyways, just doing what the forum suggested, and saying "Hi! This is me!"

Brandon
~Mushu

tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Re: Tossing the idea around for living aboard in Seattle!

Postby tex » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:57 pm

You made no mention of an approximate budget. A power boat, in most cases, would give you more space per ft of length than sailboats. Seattle is a damp place. Often, boats will already have a heater of some kind. Boats with marine A/C often feature a reverse cycle heat from the same unit. Finding something with an aft cabin would also leave the V-berth area for your office. I’ve seen such an arrangement on 34 ft. Aft cabin trawlers.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Mushu84

Postby Mushu84 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:48 am

Hey Tex,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the omission of budget. After looking over Craigslist I'm thinking between $30k and $40k could get me a decent CHB during the summer in Seattle. I'm under the impression that prices of boats change seasonally much like motorcycles, so that will play into my budget when I buy. Unless of course I can find a SUPER cheap boat with a good engine that needs 'more than normal TLC'(I do enjoy projects, and I have to wait on a list anyways). I'm not currently in the position to buy, so I have plenty of time look around and save up. Gotta finish paying off the car before I can start paying on a boat.

Right now, I'm basically just studying up maritime and boat repair/common problems, so I'm prepared If/when I do jump into live aboard. I'd love to find someone with the kind of boat I'm looking for, so I can have a better of idea of what I'll have to work with. So far, I've only been in a couple of sail boats and speed boats. The sailboats are what got my mind on thinking about live aboard, but they're still just a bit too small for me.

As for the office, since I've been looking into 34' CHB Marine Traders, the V-berth was my thought for the office as well, that, or converting the single bed in the captains stateroom into my desk, but that is dependent on what is under that bed. My current work station is in my bedroom, so that would be nothing new to me.

As for Seattle dampness, oh don't I know!

tex
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 162 times

Postby tex » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 am

Check out some marunas in the area. Boat folks love showing off their boats. Ask around for boats that might be for sale in specific marinas. Get aboard everything you can, sail or power. A houseboat would be worth looking at too....a square footprint makes more space in less length. CHB’s and Marine Traders tend to have a lot of exterior woon, needing more maintenance. At 34-36 ft., check out sedans, Europas, Aft Cabins, Sun Decks, and see what fits. Spend time on Yachtworld.com in their Advanced Search feature and just put in your city or state to see what’s available nearby. Most of all, have fun doing it.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Mushu84

Postby Mushu84 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Awesome, thanks for the boat suggestions! I'll have to check them out!

I think I'd feel awkward walking up as a rando, and asking for a tour of their boat, but that'll boil down to how I word things. :lol: In my poking around on the interwebs and Youtube I think I have a very good idea of what I'd have to work with if I ended up with a Marine Trader, and am certain I can make it fit my needs, while still allowing room for life and play. I've also seen plenty of boats that would fit my needs a lot better, but they all seem to be pretty far out of my price range. With time, that'll hopefully change, so I can afford more boat

Originally I was looking into houseboats, but they are way out of my price range, and after thinking about it, I rather like the idea of being able to take a trip up to the San Juans with a friend or two in my home.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”