Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Testing the Waters. Hello from Mississauga

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
CoreyInBusiness
Your Vessel Info: To be announced. Currently looking at a 1969 - 46' Chris Craft Aquahome to live aboard in the Mississauga/Oakville/Hamilton area of Lake Ontario.

Testing the Waters. Hello from Mississauga

Postby CoreyInBusiness » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Hello all,

My name is Corey but my girlfriend calls me crazy.

A little bit about myself:

I'm a lifelong boater, having grown up on the southern cost of Lake Huron, north of London, ON. My parents have owned boats from 10 to 40 feet in length, (the largest and most current model being a 1977 40' Marine Trader that Dad and I travelled 1000 nautical miles on during the summer of 2017). I'm currently pondering the idea of moving out of my tiny basement apartment in Meadowvale, and onto a vessel (a current contender is a very nicely refurbished 1969 Chris Craft AquaHome 46) full-time.

How did I come to ponder this decision? My dad jokingly started sending me listings for cruisers with the tagline "A cheap place to live" after I moved to the city for work. Pair that with a nagging need for a new challenge, rent prices going through the roof and a love of being on the water, and here we are.

I'm working in Oakville, which as many Canadians know is not exactly an easy place to find affordable housing (I broke down and decided to rent from a family friend for a few months while I get myself established and settled into a career...

At this point in time, I'm exploring my alternatives and have committed to nothing thus far. I'm here to read people's stories of living aboard, ask questions and try to figure out if it's even feasible or really all that much more affordable to make the move to a bouyant lifestyle. While my girlfriend is rather adamant about her opinion that I may in fact be crazy, she's supportive so long as she gets to keep her apartment on land. She'll visit, but she's made it clear she won't be wintering onboard... She might be onto something there.

I would certainly say that my biggest concerns are as follows:
1) The challenges of living aboard during a Canadian winter;
2) Finding an affordable accommodation for a boat that permits year round mooring and doesn't put me in a situation where I have to commute for hours (ideally somewhere commutable to Oakville);
3) Total price consideration, and whether I'm going to really be that far ahead by living aboard as opposed to living on dry land, once you factor in mooring, utilities, upkeep, insurance, etc. For the record, as a couple, the girlfriend and I have not reached the point in our careers or lives that it makes sense to move in together, so as a means of saving money that's off the table for the near future;
And
4) That I really only have three concerns.

Well folks, do your worst. While I don't necessarily want to be talked out of this idea, I do want to make sure that I'm making as an informed decision as humanly possible, which is where this lovely forum comes into play.

Cheers.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”