Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

It's baaaaack!

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 216 times

Re: It's baaaaack!

Unread postby tex » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I’ll do that, Janice. And Helen...we were wondering if the red tide may be affecting our animals too. One of our cats is really down. I guess they could be sensitive too.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm

After the red tide had me ignoring my boatwork schedule for weeks now, I was out checking the ropes and I can see the work piling up. A sealer re-coating of the teak cap rail and veranda deck is way overdue. The coats of Polyurithane I did in steps and trim is worn through after only 4 months. Red tide or not, I’m going to have to start that work this week or just let it deteriorate further, and sand to bare wood again. All this, of course, in summer heat and sun. It’s either work now or more work later. :roll:

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Unread postby janice142 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 pm

You know, I'm coming to love starboard more and more! Less teak has to be a good thing.

Good luck with the Project tex. I have done next to nothing for over a week. Well, I've been writing but not posting. I need to write/upload more. Kindle calls me when the red tide is at its most fierce. That is my siren/lure.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 pm

The Admiral just sent me this abot the red tide being found in Palm Beach. It could be good news, considering the money and political clout over there. Funding for red tide research and political pressure is a good combination.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20181 ... ate=ampart

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:50 pm

You’ve probably heard that the red tide got blown around quite a bit by the dynamic seas caused by the passing of Michael. It’s been pretty clear here on Longboat Key and south, but I see the easy coast and Keys show some activity now. It sure would be nice to enjoy a clear, cool winter. Last few days still feel like July.

janice142

Unread postby janice142 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm

It reappeared here Larry... right after Michael the tide returned. Today I saw my first floater, although my friend on Treasure Island has seen lots of dead fish.

Here's my first (and so far, knock teak, ONLY) fish.

I've got a friend over in Titusville. She's currently at the marina there. Photo taken a couple days ago:

I bought extra hotdogs for my birds. They like the hotdog wafers.

and Isis, my snowy egret

Are you going to Cortez tomorrow? There are bunches of us from up this way heading down. Eight that I know of shall be there. I've got my list. How about you?
Janice aboard Seaweed

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:32 am

The red tide is up to Canaveral on this side of the state. Yuck.

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 pm

The political candidates are saying vote for m and I will do something about the red tide. One on the National Level and one on the State Level but neither has done anything. It is the other person's responsibility. I like Janice142 solution. Move your boat. :D A St. Augustine Record reporter was told by two biologists that the pollution is callused by people. Great response. Traffic jams are also caused by people. Do something about it.

John

janice142

Unread postby janice142 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 am

These red tides were around when I was a little girl. I find it audacious that some believe the are so powerful as to control the weather. We shall see. My textbooks said there was a great Ice Age coming and we were all going to freeze to death unless we moved to the equator.

Of course my Webster's dictionary defines Spaceship as an imaginary object so perhaps I am a bit out of the times, eh?

This morning on incoming tide, I opened up the boat. By afternoon as the tide was going out the toxins were back. Still, Seaweed was wide open for a few hours. It felt good too.
Janice aboard Seaweed

ka8uet

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm still north of where the red tide is, but it's creeping up here, and I'll be headed south soon. Ah me. I DID buy masks.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

The way it looks, it may be difficult escaping the Red Tide without escaping Florida. This latest red tide distribution map looks like lesser intensity, but an unprecedented spread!
Attachments
5FD58A36-8BF0-471C-A908-69AE62F74AF9.png

janice142

Unread postby janice142 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 pm

What I saw yesterday was quite a scattering of dead fish in the canal. Not the big groupings as are seen elsewhere. Anyway, closed up the boat for the night.

This morning on an incoming tide there was no issue. I opened up again and all was well, until the tide changed. Outgoing brought back the algae so I closed up. I suspect the tide has nearly dissipated here. There were only two dead catfish in the mangroves that I could see. It seemed much better today, until outgoing which brings in Boca Ciega Bay waters.

Incoming flows under the peninsula and it's clear green water without the dingy red/brown of the algae. Today was a good day. I read, almost all day. On my third book and shall probably finish it before I go to sleep. (Don't think I'm reading large books -- mostly a couple hundred pages and relatively quick reads.)

And some eye candy, because I like this bird:

Life is good afloat.
Janice aboard Seaweed

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm

The latest red tide distribution map shows more red on both coasts! Not good.
Attachments
41264EEB-EEE7-402A-9B9E-58A1ACAF385B.png

ka8uet

Unread postby ka8uet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Yipe! It's creeping up this way! And I still intend to head south! I guess I'll meet it in the middle and, for once, HOPE for wind on the nose to blow it away.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 pm

We had guests from Germany these last weeks so I’ve been staying on the boat. The fish odor returned today... such intensity that I had to move back inside, which was pretty easy since the Admiral and the remaining guest abandoned the Island for cleaner air inland. Stuck here with the cats again. Here’s the latest Red Coast distribution map.
Attachments
A81D77C4-E8C4-4DD6-9297-BB07C8D27F69.png

Return to “Weather Talk”