Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aloha From Hawaii

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
alawaiorion
Your Vessel Info: We have lived aboard for 17 years on a Celestial 48 with our cat here in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Aloha From Hawaii

Unread postby alawaiorion » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Aloha!
My husband and I (and our cat) have lived aboard our Celestial 48 Ketch for 17 years. We currently are moored at the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor in Waikiki. It took us 6 years on the waiting list to get moorage here and another year to get live aboard status. Both of us had prior boating experience and neither of us decided to live aboard because it was cheaper than living on land - which it certainly isn't. We opted to sell our house and downsize and haven't regretted it (okay maybe that tsunami in 2010 was a bit disconcerting and the occasional hurricane warning cramps our style but other than that it's good).
We aren't cruisers and have no desire to be - we call ourselves live aboard day sailors. Both of us still work (I'm a writer and my husband is an architect) and have obligations here that make lengthy cruising a non-option. But we love life aboard. There are lots of opportunities to sail and I've helped crew boats back to the mainland when it fits in my schedule.
We both hope to be living aboard for many more years...
I find it interesting to read forums like this and many times yearn to answer questions...
i.e. NO it is NOT cheaper than living on land - well I guess if you don't maintain your boat and forego insurance maybe it can be, but it bites you in the B*** down the line. It is a LOT of work but to us it is well worth it. Getting moorage in Hawaii is extremely difficult and takes years of planning and being on waiting lists. Temporary permits are available but after 4 months you have to move on and there are few places to go to. It's a shame there are not more marinas here as this state offers lots of great sailing but tourism drives the economy here.
Anyway I am open to questions!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 147 times

Re: Aloha From Hawaii

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Welcome to the community, Life aboard in Hawaii sounds quite different that what we have been accustomed to in North Florida. We've visited Hawaii and found it beautiful; however, I understand the limited opportunity and expense for live aboard slips. It was our observation that life was cheaper aboard than ashore yet we were not cutting any corners with vessel care and maintenance,- 'just a different consequence of location and what's available. Please keep us posted of your adventures. It does us well to have more members in exotic places!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
alawaiorion
Your Vessel Info: We have lived aboard for 17 years on a Celestial 48 with our cat here in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Unread postby alawaiorion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Mahalo!!
And yes...other places on the mainland are cheaper especially for boat repairs!

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 218 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:25 am

You’re living in paradise but, alas, consequences and responsibilities sure seem to keep one grounded in reality. So good to have you here to tell it the way it is and be our Hawaiian reference.

What kind of additional utility costs like water & electric would one find for a live-aboard of your size there?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”