Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Making the leap

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
biggermanlt
Your Vessel Info: 35 to 50 motor yacht is what I am looking for.

Making the leap

Unread postby biggermanlt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Vince and I am retired and living on a small pension here in Fort Myers, FL. I have lived here for about a year in a house that we bought right after the crash in '09. After 15 years of marriage where I worked two jobs (70-80 hrs a week) shortly after moving down here from Atlanta, my wife decided she could not stand the site of me. So, we are getting a divorce. Since I really want to stay here in south FL, using my half of the home proceeds to buy a yacht and live aboard seems like my best option since the cost of living is so high here. To give you a little background, I am 61 years old and am a Navy veteran. I am also an ASA Certified for boats up to 50 ft. I am also an open water diver and am quite mechanical. I have built two experimental aircraft and one boat from plans. I can weld and am a pretty good carpenter. I guess what I am trying to say is, I will be able to do all of the repairs and maintenance on the boat myself.

My concern is can I afford to do this? My pension is about 30k a year, and my boat budget is 40-50k. I would like to stay in the Fort Myers area or anywhere below the frost line (Sarasota) because when I moved, I donated all my cold weather clothes to good will, so I only own three pairs of long pants.

I am 6'3" tall so I have been looking at aft cabin boats as they seem to have the best headroom. I don't want to be all hunched over while aboard.

So, I am asking for advise or opinions on whether or not you-all think is is possible. Where should I start? Things to consider?

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 137 times

Re: Making the leap

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I have a friend just like you and I at 6'3" that lived well on a Prairie 29 trawler. When your looking at the possibilities of stretching you dollar nothing can suit you better than limiting the boat size to what is functional. Make the careful observation that 80% of the volume of a house ashore is not functional space. You may stretch your way up to the 35, but I'd make that the upper limit for a single occupant and still with room for a guest. A 50' boat would be a beast to maneuver at the docks,- on board most, you wouldn't even be able to see the finger piers from the helm. Fuel, electronics, slip rental, haul outs, bottom jobs, paint, repairs...... 'everything costs much more. Look at the Prairie 29 to give you a baseline for what you can do for the costs.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 209 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Agree with Capt. Force above. The smallest boat you can be comfortable in is ultimately the most reasonable way to live aboard. The Prarie 29 is a bulky little thing (also manufactured under the brand Atlantic 30), but is a function over form design. Great space, economy and fan following.

There’s an awful lot of 34 ft. Taiwanese trawler boats from the 80’s out there in your price range, and some of them with aft-cabins. Sun-deck trawlers offer a bit more usable space and two cabins, albeit at the cost of a few more stairways. Older Mainship 34’s are decent boats and feature separate showers. For maintenance ease and cost savings, single vs. two engines may be a better choice and even though the single takes a bit more skill to handle, you’ll be thankful for the extra maintenance space.

Keep us updated on your new life aboard!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 209 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 pm

If I was single, it might be something like this one:

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/d/e ... 27444.html
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 137 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Tex would know best! All my powerboat info is secondhand. My daughter lived on a very nice 34' trawler for a few years with her husband and young son. I'm still thinking, along with Tex, that mid-thirties should be maximum. Powerboats usually have far more room /length!'

Correction: My Daughter's home was a Gulfstar 36, not a 34.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Introduce Yourself”