Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Moving the timeline up.

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
CharlieO
Your Vessel Info: Looking to get into a trawler type vessel 36-44 ft.
Has Liked: 1 time

Moving the timeline up.

Unread postby CharlieO » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi all,
Currently in Vermont had been planning for years on going afloat once I retire, with the current state of affairs and asking ourselves the tough questions we've decided to up our play to 2 years, I'll be 51, the Girlfriend 44 and the son will be 10. Looking for Trawler type boats in the 36-44 ft range and to be dockside for at least the first year then hopefully be seasonal transients.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Re: Moving the timeline up.

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:18 am

'sounds like a reasonable plan. We spent many years as East Coast seasonal transients and found it to be very rewarding. Keep us posted of your progress and questions.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
CharlieO

Unread postby CharlieO » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks, we just need to decide on a location for that first year, I'd like to do Alaska, she prefers beachy, so maybe we can settle on somewhere mid atlantic then decide after that year if we want to go north or south.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm

The East Coast of the US has many more user friendly inlets, anchorages and marinas compared to the Coast from Alaska to Baja California. You can't take leisurely travel and have a peaceful, protected anchorage as you please on the Pacific Coast, but then we were always cruising in the best of weather without deadlines and the Atlantic coast provides that. Of coarse you need to hide out during hurricane events, but that can be managed.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 220 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Sounds like a great approach to your goal. Capt. Force has more years of experience than any cruiser I know of, especially when it comes to the Atlantic Coast. If the wife favors beachy, you’d be well advised to start out beachy so the break-in experience doesn’t break.

Once she knows she can enjoy living aboard, she’ll gain confidence in being OK elsewhere, although Alaska would be a challenge for most anyone. There’s already enough changes and challenges in living aboard. Try not to make freezing one of them.

Have you been looking at boats yet? What style are you leaning toward? Sail or power? Trawler or Motoryacht? Ketch or Catamaran? Stay in touch...sounds interesting.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
CharlieO

Unread postby CharlieO » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:07 pm

There will be 3 of us. Power boat, Trawler type. Two staterooms, two heads, down galley, dual helm, cockpit, diesel, single screw, bow thruster. Thats my short wish list layout wise, I realize there is a lot more to consider when purchasing. Looking at the Marine Traders, Albins ect. 36-46 foot. like to try to keep the loa under 50. anything you recommend? If we went full time tropics in the future(after kids) I may lean toward a sailing catamaran, although I've never been under sail.

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 220 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Great list for narrowing down the market, CharlieO, although for the Good or bad , the great majority of Taiwan built vessels still qualify. Albin and Marine Trader for sure, but throw in Bestway, Hyatt, Monk, Defever, Cheoy Lee, Senator, President, Present, Eagle, Selene, Mainship, and at least a dozen others who have constructed boats in that configuration, and you have an abundance to choose from.

Take a look at Va Yacht Brokers videos on Youtube which give great video examples of different sizes and layouts. Spend time on Yachtworld.com “Advanced Search” and type in those preferences. Most Aft-Cabin styles of 36’ or more have two staterooms and two heads. Get aboard anything you can to get a feel for what works for you. Most importantly, have fun, be open minded, dream.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”