Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello everyone

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
GMcGurty
Your Vessel Info: 70' retired military transport vessel.

Hello everyone

Unread postby GMcGurty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:28 pm

Hello, complete newbie here. I recently saw a retired 70' military transport vessel that was remodeled into living quarters and began to think about life in the water. I am a retired Marine and have spent 2 yrs of my life aboard US Navy ships. Just trying to learn more about the lifestyle!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 150 times

Re: Hello everyone

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:22 pm

I can imagine that a 70' vessel would be exciting inspiration; however, many of us that have spent decades living aboard and cruising would find that an impossible burden. The dock fees, cost of operation and maintenance, limited access to marinas and moorings, clearance restrictions.... any one of these alone could prevent a person's successful adaptation to life on the water On the other hand, inspiration doesn't need to prevent practicality! Would you be planning to be a single aboard or with a family? What are you considering as a home port or cruising area? Are you a "do it yourself" maintenance guy? Would the boat be housing on the water or a means for adventurous cruising? Are you more interested in sail or power? Keep us posted of your thoughts and upcoming adventure.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
GMcGurty
Your Vessel Info: 70' retired military transport vessel.

Unread postby GMcGurty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Thank you for your insight. As I been researching, 70' does get expensive to dock! I'd like to live on it, but be quite mobile. Also, I'd like to research if I could use to make any money with it. Really, I am pretty clueless about a lot of it!!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 150 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:11 am

"...make money with it" would likely involve having passengers aboard and more than just six people. This would require three things:
1. A masters license (formerly called an ocean operator's license) gained by documenting experience piloting and/or as crew aboard vessels, a
medical exam, and passing a test regarding navigation, seamanship & rules of the road administered by the US Coast Guard.
2- A demand for service. - a source of those paying for a dinner cruise, ecotourism, transport to a location, etc.
3. Redesigning the vessel to accommodate passengers in compliance with USCG regulations.
This would seem to be overwhelming for me. I did obtain my ocean operator's license in 1978, but I never used it as a career; however, immediately after passing my USCG exam I was receiving job offers.
Another thought,- I have seen some vessels that remain docked while being used as a B&B or Air B&B. Not transporting passengers would likely eliminate many required regulations.

`
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 225 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:56 pm

Welcome aboard. Even using a large boat as a docked B&B would likely entail inspections, licensing by the State, and considerable insurance levels. Find yourself a good buyer’s broker and get aboard some vessels. You may find that it would take a lot less than 70 ft. to warm the cockles of your passions. Stay in touch.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”