Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What's Your Best Live Aboard Tip?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Sloopy
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: What's Your Best Live Aboard Tip?

Unread postby Sloopy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 am

Line snubber's or (shocks) are great during storms or when someone decides to ignore the no wake rule. Also allows for a little extra stretch during extra low tides. I was impressed with difference they make and living aboard is a much smother ride.

Coyle
Your Vessel Info: 1975 Newport 30
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Unread postby Coyle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 am

sunnyd wrote:Source of the post
CaptForce wrote:.........here's another one. Take full ownership of your boat. By that I mean be independent and self-sufficient. Take on the responsibility of maintaining your home. Here's a photograph from 1975 when we careened our second "Aythya" and painted the bottom at low tide. Nothing allows more independence and potential for success than being able to "do it yourself"!

Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Great picture. Some day that will be me. Probably next year but I confess to being nervous at the idea.

I've done that before; pull mast cable to a tree preferably; we don't get huge tides like that here on gulf coast but soltice tide is a biggie; one thing I can't tell from the pic if wearing mask but that cuprous oxide's some bad stuff to be breathing and when you start to get under the curve of your hull you'll be in a concentrated area of it--unless strong breeze. I used mask and still got hit pretty hard when going close up and under like that. Be sufficient, and safe 8-)

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 143 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm

'maybe it's not a liveaboard tip. 'maybe it's just good luck, but nothing made my 45 years of living aboard more successful than coming across a woman that was willing to take on the adventure; own little within little space; work hard at the adventure and raise two children with me in "paradise".

Oh, and Coyle, about using the mask when careening,- good advice! I was always careful with paint dust and fiberglass sandings as well as the organic solvents. In the photo I'm applying some paint, but I was wearing the mask when scraping and sanding off the old paint. Even when applying the paint I'm best with a nice breeze. The worst I ever did was to paint the inside of my dorm building elevator red while in college, but then college is where you're supposed to be learning things, right?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:03 am

I just did the bilge area of my machinery space (under the galley) and it was nearly impossible to get any air exchange down there. Even something as benign as bilge paint can put you out fast without a decent mask. The Admiral just says it’s just a cherry on top of all the abuse I have done to my body. :roll:
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Living Aboard”