Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Following tagged sharks

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Following tagged sharks

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun May 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Here's a link to go to if you would like to see where the tagged sharks are at and be able to follow where they've been.
http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

You can also watch the shows on TV
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Re: Following tagged sharks

Unread postby tex » Sun May 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Neato Jet!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

lastdragon

Unread postby lastdragon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am

Wow - that is really cool! Thanks for the link!

Erik Brush
Your Vessel Info: I am converting a 1984 Proline Walkabout 23 into a 23' houseboat. I've cut away the cabin, I've removed the gas tank (which will be replaced with a 50 gallon plastic water tank), and I'm working on laying down the under flooring base boards.

When I get done with the boat it will be the world's first electromagnetic powered houseboat. I will have a small solar and wind powered supplemental power bank. But the primary power will be generated with magnets, taking from one of Tesla's ideas. Additionally I'm a marine biologist so I'm very conscientious about noise in the water and the destructive power of props and fuel propulsion systems tearing up grass flats, cutting manatees (I'm in southwest Florida) and dolphins, etc. So my boat will be electromagnetically jet powered. Clean, quiet, efficient, with a protective cowling around the water intake.
Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby Erik Brush » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 am

As a marine biologist sharks are my specialty. I love these animals. They're pretty fascinating to follow. The University of Miami has an active tagging and tracking program as well. If you are interested you can also follow the movements of tracked manatees using wildtrack.org to find them. I believe that the University of Miami uses Google Earth for their tracking system. So if you want to know where the bullshark named "Bubbles" is hanging out, have a peek at their site. Fun stuff.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:03 pm

Wow!!! That is so cool!! I think sharks are beautiful animals, especially blues and makoes. and, Eric, I really like your ideas and reasons for powering your boat.

Erik Brush
Your Vessel Info: I am converting a 1984 Proline Walkabout 23 into a 23' houseboat. I've cut away the cabin, I've removed the gas tank (which will be replaced with a 50 gallon plastic water tank), and I'm working on laying down the under flooring base boards.

When I get done with the boat it will be the world's first electromagnetic powered houseboat. I will have a small solar and wind powered supplemental power bank. But the primary power will be generated with magnets, taking from one of Tesla's ideas. Additionally I'm a marine biologist so I'm very conscientious about noise in the water and the destructive power of props and fuel propulsion systems tearing up grass flats, cutting manatees (I'm in southwest Florida) and dolphins, etc. So my boat will be electromagnetically jet powered. Clean, quiet, efficient, with a protective cowling around the water intake.
Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby Erik Brush » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:45 am

I love blues and mako's. My favorite sharks are oceanic white tips. There's an elegance about them that belies their strength and power.

I'm glad that you like my propulsion idea. I have worked with ponds and aquariums many years and it struck me that a pond pump (essentially a giant electromagnetic power head) would water jet a boat quite nicely. There aren't any exposed parts to harm marine life or grass beds. The cowling around the pumps will keep debris from clogging the intake. And the power consumption is relatively low (unless you have monstrously big pumps). I'll be running two, though not simultaneously. The big one will get me around. The small one for docking or slow approach.

Cheers!

Return to “Living Aboard”