Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Repelling insects?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
sv_Catharsis

Repelling insects?

Unread postby sv_Catharsis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm

With summer vastly approaching and those pesky mosquitoes starting to think about coming out, what is the best way to repel insects from your boat. I have mosquito netting and what not, but on nice summer nights, it would be nice to sit out in the cockpit.

River Cruiser
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Repelling insects?

Unread postby River Cruiser » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 pm

I have screen on 3 sides of the cockpit enclosure, I can close up the transom door opening and be ok. I like to sit out on the dock in the evenings and I'am going to try some different repellents this year, citronella candles are a method that some have used for years I'll start with a few of those. Good luck
UMR mm 283 on Northern Lights
1987 Bayliner 3870
1999 Logic Marine 17' cc

Coyle
Your Vessel Info: 1975 Newport 30
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Repelling insects?

Unread postby Coyle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 am

The strong 12 hour DEET is a great defense and not harmful; I think people connect DEET with DDT, actually a lot of the more "natural" products like geraniol from geraniums etc are bad. I once used, I think the name was Repel Max, 40% DEET for 3 years every night, the only side effect and this is to anything applied to skin like skin so soft etc is that it heats you up; but other than that I think I was a good test subject for it's safety. Was a lifesaver. The screens over doors, windows blocked out too much breeze and trapped heat inside.

Return to “Living Aboard”