Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Is the red tide ever leaving the west coast of Fla?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Is the red tide ever leaving the west coast of Fla?

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Got this email from the FWC today.
Tex, are you back yet or still having to rent a place?

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Patchy blooms of Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, persist along Gulf County in Northwest Florida and Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties in Southwest Florida.

Fish kills and respiratory irritation continue to be reported in some bloom areas in both Northwest and Southwest Florida.

Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides show westerly movement of bloom waters along Gulf County in Northwest Florida, little net movement of surface waters and southern movement of bottom waters off Pinellas County, and southern movement of bloom waters off Manatee and Sarasota counties in Southwest Florida over the next 3 days.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Re: Is the red tide ever leaving the west coast of Fla?

Unread postby tex » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:21 pm

I've been back on Longboat Key since Tuesday to feel things out but it's not good. Less bloom maybe, but dead fish smell at the Marina is pretty bad the last three days. The Admiral is still renting a place about 7 miles from the Coast. We went down to Venice for dinner last week (where it is much less) and in two hours her eyes were about half shut. She's just too sensitive to come back yet. Renting through the end of the month, then??? I'm trying to finish up some projects on Bucky so if we need to leave, we can. Might head for the east coast again, Stuart maybe.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:41 pm

The Red Tide continues. The Admiral is still in the rental house about 7 miles from the bay, and my regular trips to the marina demonstrate that the effects are accumulative. A lot of people that haven't noticed much effect are now complaining of coughs and congestion, headaches, scratchy throats, etc.. If no change by the end of the month, it's off for a winter cruise to the east coast!

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:00 am

I know the trip !!!!!!!!!
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 am

I helped my son-in-law bring his 36' Gulfstar trawler from St. Petersburg to Jacksonvile by the way of the Okeechobee and Stuart a little over a year ago. I was surprised by all the big iguanas hanging out on the Clewiston marina docks. They just weren't around when Capt Charlie and I were kids growing up in Ft. Lauderdale.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:31 pm

I do not remember seeing them when I brought my sailboat from St. Pete. My son captured one in our from yard 20 years ago. Gosh, I did not realize it was that long ago. I must be getting young. :lol:

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm

As of today's 01/29/2016 FWC report, looks like Tex and his admiral STILL have red tide... :cry:
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 am

Admiral came back home just today after 5 weeks away from the coast. Yeah, we still have red tide, but the air feels a bit cleaner. If not, a couple of days should tell the tale. We still might be heading East.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Well, here's today's FWC's weekly report... Longboat Key is mentioned again.....

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

A bloom of Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, persists along Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee, and northern Collier counties in Southwest Florida. Respiratory irritation continues to be reported in several bloom areas of Southwest Florida including Siesta Key Beach, Longboat Key, and Englewood Beach. Fish kills have also been reported along Longboat Key and Englewood Beach. Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides show southern/alongshore movement of bloom waters in Southwest Florida over the next 3 days.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 pm

It's still here. The Admiral is living back on the Key, but has been taking steroids to clear up the lungs. Worked well at first, but now returning to much congestion. She'll be heading out to Idaho in March for skiing, and leave me here with the fricken cats! Even they are miserable. :roll:

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:18 pm

What is nice with a boat, you can move. We camped in Delaware during fly season. One night and we gone even though we paid for more nights. Even the dog was unhappy. Why suffer?

tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Good point, but I've got a plethora of projects half finished on Bucky. I need to complete two of those to get underway. Good news is that the Red Tide seems to be easing up in this area. The Admiral has a skiing trip to Idaho in March, hopefully it's over when she gets back. If not, I better have the boat ready to go. :roll:

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Hope you are able to have Bucky ready to go when she gets back, because it will be about time for the red tide to start again. :D

tex

Unread postby tex » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:29 pm

Well, at least for the time being, the Admiral is not talking about moving from the Gulf Coast. The Red Tide doesn't seem to be bothering anybody right now. I can only hope! Meanwhile, it's been pretty good boat project weather.

tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Saints be praised!! According to the latest data, the Red Tide has left the area. The Admiral isn't even here to appreciate it. She's out in Idaho breathing clean, mountain air. I spoke to her the morning she arrived and she was still hacking, but when I talked to her in the afternoon, she was all cleared up, no coughing, no nothing. She's got three weeks out there, and by the time she returns, it will be the time of the year when the Red Tide usually appears. :ugeek: :roll: :shock:

Return to “Living Aboard”