Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The best live-aboard vessel you've seen

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

The best live-aboard vessel you've seen

Unread postby tex » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Recently, one of our Captains here on LA delivered a Hatteras 53 to our local marina here on Longboat Key. Yeah, it's a big boat, but it has a reputation as one of the most livable vessels out there. Maybe it's not so difficult for a 53 ft. boat to be livable, but there are many less girthy vessels that make darned good live-aboards. Layouts, usage of space, positioning of bulkheads, windows and portlights, built in furniture, and multiple use-fold away devices all contribute to comfortable living spaces.

Some of us can't afford a 53 ft. boat and some of us wouldn't have one even if we could. What is the most livable boat you've seen in a length and beam that is acceptable to you? Do you already have it, or is it still a dream?

I don't know if we have ours yet, but our 36 is bulbous, roomy, and lots of separate spaces to enjoy living upon the water. Here's the layout of the lower deck, all on one level. The 8' X 12' pilothouse is positioned above it.
Attachments
Bucky layout.jpg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Re: The best live-aboard vessel you've seen

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Here's an best example I know of economical living. She could write a book about it, and I think she may be doing just that. She's a well known writer in the marine industry, but even more amazing is that she lives aboard her practical (if not precious( 23 ft. Schucker trawler, "Seaweed". Only six of these baby Schuckers were manufactured, and at least for Janice, it was love at first sight. Originally equipped with a gas engine, Janice has recently installed diesel power. You can get a view of the layout on her website:

http://janice142.com/Seaweed/Seaweed.html

Here are two examples of the Shucker Gulf Packet Trawler, including Seaweed. The second photo is of one that has been rebuilt to nearly new condition and ready for sale.
Attachments
Seaweed.jpg
schucker gulf packet.jpg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Pretty little boat. My current boat is a 23'. It's a Compac 23/3, sloop rigged monohull. However, with my braces, it's not practical for me any more. Hence my quest to buy a 30' cat.

Erik Brush
Your Vessel Info: I am converting a 1984 Proline Walkabout 23 into a 23' houseboat. I've cut away the cabin, I've removed the gas tank (which will be replaced with a 50 gallon plastic water tank), and I'm working on laying down the under flooring base boards.

When I get done with the boat it will be the world's first electromagnetic powered houseboat. I will have a small solar and wind powered supplemental power bank. But the primary power will be generated with magnets, taking from one of Tesla's ideas. Additionally I'm a marine biologist so I'm very conscientious about noise in the water and the destructive power of props and fuel propulsion systems tearing up grass flats, cutting manatees (I'm in southwest Florida) and dolphins, etc. So my boat will be electromagnetically jet powered. Clean, quiet, efficient, with a protective cowling around the water intake.
Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby Erik Brush » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 am

I'm starting small, converting a 1984 23' Proline Walkabout Cuddy into a houseboat. But the ultimate goal is to build a 45' power catamaran. I'm not big on sailing personally. Nothing against it, just not my thing.

A spacious power cat with enough room for two greenhouses will be the ultimate liveaboard for my tastes.

But one goal at a time. The one I'm working on has proven an interesting learning experience so far. A lot more work than I had anticipated, but when it's completed (for good or ill) I'll be able to claim full responsibility.

Cheers!

Return to “Living Aboard”