Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Live-aboard family still missing here

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Live-aboard family still missing here

Unread postby tex » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 am

A body was found off Sanibel Island yesterday but no ID as of yet. The 45 year old Father, Ace Kimberly and three children, 13,15 and 17, were reportedly in route to Ft Myers Beach to meet Ace's Brother and work on the boat. Last the heard was the boat was in 6 ft waves and thunderstorms on Sunday around 3 PM, according to Sarasota Herald Tribune. The boat was normally moored in Sarasota Bay.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DbVra38KUd0
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Re: Live-aboard family still missing here

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Two recovered. One with a life jacket. Hypothermia? :?:

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Four people on a 29 foot live aboard boat with an outboard towing two kayaks selecting an offshore passage during a time forecast for thunderstorms on a route with an alternate protected ICW passage. We will likely never know the details of the tragedy or the reasoning for the choices that were made.
It's a sad event without enough information to clearly evaluate, but certainly an outcome that could have been avoided. ....'so sad.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:09 pm

The lesson learned? Do not sail to a schedule! Sometimes we think it is imperative that we arrive at a certain time at a certain place.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:11 pm

This morning while having coffee at my local marina, A good friend and marina regular also stopped in and told the story about his trip from Sanibel north to St. Petersburg and got caught outside in the same squall that Ace Kimberly reported to his brother at 3 PM that day, saying that they were taking 6 ft. waves. Apparently this squall was a lot worse than assumed from the report. My friend's boat is a 43 ft. Searay,...not exactly an ocean boat, but the guy has decades on the water and most of it was sailing. He says he took green water over the bow, big spray over the entire boat, and admitted that he and his wife were terrified. Maybe they really were caught by a burst while taking some seas.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:28 am

Traveling North on the ICW, we were hit by a strong thunderstorm near Titusville, FL. My son called my wife to inform me a strong thunderstorm was on the way. Well, the storm hit before the phone call. The storm laid my allied princess over under bare poles. Of course, it knocked us off course. The storm was so bad visibility was nil. We just circled a marker until visibility was restored. The s/v has a high freeboard and at times of high winds I think I am aboard a houseboat. Under powered for the windage.

Return to “Living Aboard”