Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

And water bacteria continues in S.W. Fla

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

And water bacteria continues in S.W. Fla

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Re: And water bacteria continues in S.W. Fla

Unread postby tex » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Red Tide, and now this? I sent the link to my Admiral's phone as soon as I saw this. She complains about the chorine in the pools, but I asked her, "OK, today you gotta choice between chorine or flesh-eating bacteria". She's back in the pool for now. :D
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm not sure why, but up here, we aren't hearing much about our harmful algae :D blooms. Maybe we got a respite this year. :D

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:34 pm

You know what you want, Helen. You want your Catamaran and you're determined to sail to Florida to live aboard in paradise. Hurricanes, flesh-eating bacteria, red tide, alligators, Burmese Pythons, zika virus and Jaxfishgyd all await you in your future home! :!: :shock:
Last edited by tex on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Or you could stay put and freeze to death! :lol:

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:03 pm

Actually, I'm on my way. Survey complete, sea trials coming up. Price agreed on. Fingers crossed.

Coyle
Your Vessel Info: 1975 Newport 30
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Unread postby Coyle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Glad I got to experience it when I did; we lived Holmes beach as an infant; grew up days spent Coquina beach when it was nice; best beach in my opinion for consistent depth increase; could swim down deep. lunch under salt pines :D Estuaries were pristine. Now beaches crowded; even the islands are boat to boat; so many people moving down here :(

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I remember when too. Olde Florida was great before air conditioning. I read a book about the fish that looked like rivers as they cruised the beach in SW Florida. It is a shame what sugar cane farmers did to the SW. The State of Florida continues to allow cities and counties to pollute the estuaries. Indian River is looking at a $20 million cleanup. :evil:

Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

Used to visit old lady, FL native, said river would get so clogged with fish looked almost could walk across. Loved catching flounder
5b2f862b45728-bpfull.jpg
5b2f862b45728-bpfull.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 608 times

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 143 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Ok, Doyle, since you've revived a really old thread I think I can risk some drift from the Red Tide topic and Scallywag has moved us to thoughts of "Old Florida". When I read of Coquina Beach I remembered times at Indian Rocks Beach in the 1950's when we would collect a pails of coquinas in the surf washed sand and my Aunt and Uncle would make coquina soup. Does anyone still find coquinas so dense in the sand to make soup? Do people still eat coquina soup?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 am

You know, when I was young they were dense like you mention, and people did make soup out of them--though I always thought it was too much work; same for making elderberry pie. I don't go to Coquina Beach much nowadays, but last time I was there didn't see any at all. Demographic's changed, but it's still my favorite beach.
aj beach truck 2.jpg
Attachments
aj beach truck.jpg

Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am

[quote="Coyle"]Source of the post You know, when I was young they were dense like you mention, and people did make soup out of them--though I always thought it was too much work; same for making elderberry pie. I don't go to Coquina Beach much nowadays, but last time I was there didn't see any at all. Demographic's changed, but it's still my favorite beach.

Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 am

You know, when I was young they were dense like you mention, and people did make soup out of them--though I always thought it was too much work; same for making elderberry pie. I don't go to Coquina Beach much nowadays, but last time I was there didn't see any at all. Demographic's changed, but it's still my favorite beach.[/quote]

Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:17 am

You know, when I was young they were dense like you mention, and people did make soup out of them--though I always thought it was too much work; same for making elderberry pie. I don't go to Coquina Beach much nowadays, but last time I was there didn't see any at all. Demographic's changed, but it's still my favorite beach.

Return to “Living Aboard”