Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thinking of moving......

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Re: Thinking of moving......

Unread postby Robin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:53 pm

we have been seeing 5-6 every night anchored in front of home here in Daytona Beach but many more going by southwards during daylight hours. Tonight is quiet, only 2 saily boats anchored
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:50 am

While Fernandina Harbor Marina is still closed due to Hurricane Matthew, a small dingy dock has reopened, cost is $3.21 a day, Plenty of area to anchor out... Though the mooring area is also closed.....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post While Fernandina Harbor Marina is still closed due to Hurricane Matthew, a small dingy dock has reopened, cost is $3.21 a day, Plenty of area to anchor out... Though the mooring area is also closed.....

I heard that and am passing it on. Nice of the marina to help out with the dinghy dock at a very fair cost. Fernandina Harbor Marina is a class act. Sorry for their destruction. Plenty of room to anchor near the mooring field from what I've seen before. Thanks for the info Capt. Charlie.

It was a tough hurricane season for the East Coast. Sooooooo happy it's over!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 pm

We had two boats 'show up' late yesterday afternoon (Sunday). A 36' Albin just pulled in and tied up... Now the fact two dock lines were there along with two 30 amp power cords SHOULD of told them it was someone's spot.... When the boat that belonged there got back, they had to dock elsewhere...... This morning they left at daybreak so didn't have to pay.....
Across from me a 60's Sport fisherman came in right as the sun was going down....He called out to me (I was fishing on the dock), asked IF HE COULD Dock , got him tied up ... he then went up and tried to pay (I was with him, the Bait N Tackle shop had closed for the day that would of taken his transient fee)..... He waited till the office opened this morning before leaving....
I didn't talk to the Albin people (according to those that did, they were NOT nice) But seems neither knew the city marina was closed... Not good advanced planning
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm

You don't see too many young couples hanging out on boats in marinas these days. It turns out we've got one couple here, where they bought their boat and getting ready to set sail - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DTIcN5rjM Some good shots of the marina and areas nearby.

Good luck and be safe Nikki and Austin!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 am

Don't let the stated price of catamarans scare you off. A good survey and a bit of bargaining can bring the price down a lot. Also, a 30 ft cat has about the same interior space as a 40-45ft monohull, either power or sail. As to handling powerboats, they scare me.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:14 pm

We spent 4 days in Key West 2 weeks ago on our friends boat at Stock Island Marina Village.... We had a blast and they are an area they call "coconut row"... All boats are docked Bahamian style but are allowed to have tiki huts or what ever you want.. It's a riot... But it also cost $27 ft plus electric... But it's way too crowded for us.
Have been checking into the Marathon- Key Largo marinas online 'just for fun".. Some are not overly expensive... "hummn"
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Marathon Marina (not the municipal marina) is nice. Really awesome saltwater pool, with a wonderful view. Close to plenty of stuff too. Price is WAY out of my budget though. It's the KEY's....but would be an awesome place to live for a while.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 pm

Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 pm

I already put it on FB yesterday Capt Charlie - https://www.facebook.com/ralph.brogdon.1

Just waiting for the busy season...sometimes it really is like that.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:03 pm

So, I guess you decided to stay where you are? Nothing wrong with being someplace that feels like home. Beverly and I never planned to stay here, but just makes sense in our case. It looks like another 1 or 2 years before we leave here. Happily, this winter has been a very mild one!

Just so you know, the dockage is going up here on March 31. $13.50/ft. for monthly and $1.75/ft. for transients.

After being on the move for 4 years, it's tough staying in one spot for long even if the area is nice, the facilities are nice, and the price is right. Still so much to see along the East Coast. Not to mention going back to the Bahamas and try some new spots we missed in the last two trips there. I also miss the West Coast of Florida. Plenty of nice people over there.

Any one going to make a move in 2017? What's on your bucket list? I know Tex is off on an adventure soon, and looking forward to his updates.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:15 am

Talked to a friend of mine that was also docked on the Ortega River (Cedar Point Marina) today. He's been in Marathon for almost 4 years now. He loves his location.... He has a 50' slip and pays $1450 a month at the moment but his rates are being raised by $140 a month in March... It does include electric...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 pm

I have friends staying here - http://www.bonefishmarina.com/ They are paying between 5 and 6 hundred a month. You might check it out? Looks like they are currently full, but you never know. Friend him on FB, and maybe he can give you details about the marina. https://www.facebook.com/bill.ballard.102

Tell him Ralph sent you.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Good Grief, just reading their requirements and rules and regulations are enough to stop me
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Good Grief, just reading their requirements and rules and regulations are enough to stop me

That may be because it's a Condo Association...full of rules and regs.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Living Aboard”