Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thinking of moving......

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Thinking of moving......

Unread postby RTB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 am

Haha! I already almost went in the water when a Defever 49 got crossed up coming into his slip. They have only owned the boat for a week, and his wife was just standing on the deck horrified and didn't have a clue what to do (um, throw me a line!) And somehow the captain didn't quite understand that a 135# dockmaster can't do much against that huge boat until I can get a line on a cleat. Every day is an adventure.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:45 pm

I'll be working with you if we come up.....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post I'll be working with you if we come up.....

Well, the hired help is always the last to know what's up, but sounds like a heck of a deal to me. If you're working with/through Michael, he's a good guy IMO. Welcome to Georgia in Advance Capt. Charlie!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post How far is the beach from there??

A friend loaned us her car for the weekend to celebrate our 45th anniversary. We drove over to Jekyll Island and are spending the weekend here. There are many parking areas with beach access. Neat place! Really cool looking trees. It's quite an interesting coastline here. Amazing how calm the Atlantic was yesterday and today. It would have been great for an extended offshore passage. I wish I could be here to see what it's like Thursday and Friday, as Matthew comes by.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:35 pm

I got a message on Facebook from Capt. Charlie that his marina has had wifi only once since Matthew left his mark. He's using that as an excuse for not harassing us here at Life-Aboard. He might be coming up for a visit on Monday. it'll be nice to finally meet him. Updates coming....

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Capt. Charlie found the free beer on tap in the cruiser's lounge here at Brunswick Landing Marina today. Not sure if he can drag himself away from Fernandina, but at least I can say I've met another interesting character from the forums. It was a pleasure. Come back for another visit anytime.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Okay Ralph. Set up a bbq. Let's see how many attend.

John

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:54 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post Okay Ralph. Set up a bbq. Let's see how many attend.

John

Great idea, John. Maybe start a "Spring Fling" and "Fall Ball" in memory of John Rogers. Our dearly departed friend. I'll think seriously about that!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:21 am

I have thought of John many times. I will help. Just let us know. It would be great meeting the participants to this forum. :D

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Scallywag said "set up the bbq".... I noticed when we were there, EVERY dock had at least one bbq under their gazebo..... It is a neat marina and the town is as nice as Fernandina Beach (now that's saying a lot)........... Did notice when on our friends boat, we had forgotten what it's like to have boats within 5' of either side of you though....... Maybe being the first slip off the T would work.... But also figured it would end up costing us about $500 more a month than we're paying here.... But going up for a long weekend would be fun...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:16 pm

$500 per month more! Heck, you could buy a weeks worth of beer for that? Nice to know there is a free beer tap in Cruisers Lounge, but I'd bet that along with other considerations, Captain Charlie has already stepped-off how much tubing he would need to run a line to the first slip off the T before entertaining any thoughts of a permanent move. :D
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:52 pm

So, I better warn the southbound traffic they still have to pay a beer toll if moving through Fernandina.... :lol:

Hey, thank you for the kind words about the marina. I'm a customer just like the next guy, and we do enjoy it here. My biggest complaint is that there is no pool! If you saw some things that need improvement, please let me know.

I'm in a slip at the end next to the T-Head, and don't feel confined. I can see the sunsets over the marshlands, but know what you mean about being close to other boats. My main reason for having come here, both in 2013 and again this year, is location. This is definitely a great place to ride out hurricane season, as was just proven with Matthew. We didn't even leave the marina despite being in a Mandatory Evacuation Area. The cruiser's lounge was comfy, and had about 20 bottles of wine for the Hurricane Party (plus the beer). Hermine was a surprise, and did cause us some problems, but this was a crazy year with storms coming in from the Gulf side.

Come back for a visit anytime Charlie. I'm thinking hard on scallywag's suggestion for a BBQ get together for the group here. I need to talk with Michael (my boss...the grandson of the "big man", Mr. Torras). Michael is a nice guy and so far, we really get along. I'll clear things with him, and let you guys know, if you're interested. I'm thinking springtime, since it's holiday season soon. I'll start a new thread once I have my thoughts together.

PS-Just curious about the $500.00 increase from what you are paying now? I figure you'd pay $593.30/month here figuring the minimum charge of $30.00 for 50 AMP electric. Since you have a packet from us, and know the costs, I'm guessing you use a bunch of kwh for A/C during the hot months?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, was just ruff thinking... I pay $578.80 a month, including taxes and electric....
Base pay for a slip there is $612.50 based on your $12.50 per foot which includes total length from bow pulpit to swim platform.
Here, I pay for the listed size of my boat (I pay for a 43' Hatteras only, not 49' overall length).
Your electric is .23 per KwH plus "$24monthly environmental fee".
Add on a possible 'liveaboard fee", lots of places charge $100 or more when they enforce that...

NOW, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN..
I now have to SUBTRACT the savings in beer, and I can drink a bit of beer....
And the fact there's free laundry...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:03 pm

No live aboard fee here, if that is unclear. Maybe I can sneak you in as 43' ( I will, and it's doubtful anyone will question that..). Obviously, I'd love to have you here, but it's got to make sense for you and the Admiral!

I feel I've overstepped the forum rules here, but my posts are not from an official BLM point of view. But it could easily be seen that way. I'm just trying to be friendly and helpful here. We can take this to PM's or I can give you my phone # and email address if you want Jax.

I accidentally interviewed for the job as dockmaster (during happy hour while drinking free beer and wine), by offering to help out after the previous guy quit with no notice at 4:30 PM, saying he was starting a new job the next day. No notice at all, leaving the marina VERY shorthanded. I offered to help out, and that was my interview, as Michael asked if I could be in the dock office at 8AM the next morning. I am committed to a year, but probably will be ready for cruising/retirement status again after that. You just might have an opening if you are in the right place at the right time. No guarantees, but those are my thoughts. Possibly some work immediately, but I'll have to clear it with management. I could definitely use some help here now, but not sure when things will slow down (since I'm new at this), so might be temporary?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:20 pm

I'll PM you later....
Capt Charlie Freeman