Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thinking of moving......

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Thinking of moving......

Unread postby RTB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 pm

I can usually predict how a docking session will go. If the wife is standing on the bow with the bowline in her little hands, someone (or all on board are clueless).. If she's got a spring line ready, it's most likely going to go well.

Plenty of docking fiascos for me, but so far, I have yet to go into the water (close a time or two), and no damaged boats as yet. My wife says I look good in a wet t-shirt, Robin! :D Ok, not the same.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Nothing confuses me more than some large man controlling the little throttle and gearshift levers while barking out commands to a small woman on the bow and expecting her to shove off pilings and "cowboy" the lines. I'm not usually one to promote sexist roles, but any woman can learn to move the levers and turn the wheel. Few ladies can best me at warping off pilings or fending off! One of the smartest choices we ever made was to make sure that we could both maneuver our vessel in most any condition.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:30 pm

The Admiral is still saying that we're gong for the loop in the Spring, so we've just completed the Power Squad class on "Seamanship" and have already registered for the Piloting Course. She's the first one to admit that her skills at the wheel are lacking. Once on the rather broad section of the Okeechobee Waterway on the rim route, I put the boat dead center of the approaching markers (maybe 100 ft. apart) and asked her to just keep it in the middle for about 40 seconds I needed to run below and relieve myself. She took the wheel and about 15 seconds later while standing there in front of the head and looking out the open window, WHOOSH...the starboard marker went by the window so close that I could feel the wind hit my face. :roll:
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby Robin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 pm

that's what happens if you say 'just head for that marker dear'1 :o Bit like putting waypoints on offshore navigation buoys when you meet the guy going the other way who did just the same. Channel markers in the ditch are magnetic to fibreglass I believe, known phenomenon :lol: .
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:24 am

I love the use of parallax views! When approaching a distant pair of markers, the post to be left to starboard should appear to move to the right against the background horizon and the post to be left to port should appear to move left relative to the distant background.

This always keeps you in the center!

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Ah Tex, I actually WAS A QUALIFIED instructor for the Power Squadron here in N. Florida to teach all the courses... Even was an officer on the board... (shut up BobbyMo, I KNOW he will respond to that)... Matter of fact, I GOT YOU to join a few years ago....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 pm

tex wrote:Source of the postShe's the first one to admit that her skills at the wheel are lacking. Once on the rather broad section of the Okeechobee Waterway on the rim route, I put the boat dead center of the approaching markers (maybe 100 ft. apart) and asked her to just keep it in the middle for about 40 seconds

Since leaving Texas the first in 2012, we've put 7500 miles under the keel. Half of that, my wife was at the helm. We do 2 hour watches and don't have an autopilot. I am very proud of her. No way I'd want to cruise without her.

We learned early on that she needed to be at the helm if picking up a mooring ball. I don't have a windlass, so she's at the helm when in anchoring situations. She also takes the boat out when leaving the dock at a marina. She has yet to bring us into a slip, but confident she could do it (but she doesn't have the confidence yet). I just come in like I'm solo. I've got the lines ready long before we head to a slip once I know if it's a port or starboard tie, fenders down. I'm off the boat before the first line is on a cleat.

She also does a great job on the radio. Plenty of experience talking to tows on the Gulf ICW, and calling bridges from Lake Worth to Miami. Probably 30-35 in 3 days. We've done that "bridges from hell" stretch a couple of times.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:49 am

I love the things the Admiral does better than me, but knowing her place in space isn't on her skillset whether it's pulling into the garage or steering between markers. With enough practice and patience, she will surely find her own references and methodology of basic boat handling. Meanwhile, she leaves me in the dust in most other matters.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Just from a result of over forty years of docking while I'm the "deck monkey", Nancie has better control at docking than I do in most cases. For some reason I've better skills at backing into a slip than she does. We take on different roles depending on the situation.

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post Yup, I said it.......
This morning the admiral and I drove over to St Marys,Ga. We like the area plus she had to go buy a dress and the store she wanted to go to is there. (she took a nasty fall on the boat last week and has to wear a walking boot, so I drove her) We got there about 11am, her store didn't open till noon so we some time to kill... Stopped and sat under the big gazebo at the water by the marinas and she asked if I had even thought of moving some place else than where we're at now here in Fernandina Beach,Fl.
We wouldn't move to St Mary's . their docks are not all that great and you are unprotected from the weather...
When we spent 3 days up in Darian, Ga a few months ago we had looked at all the marinas there.... None again anyone would want to dock, plus the current is STRONG!!!!
I could see us looking at places like Sanford,Fl. at the south end of the St Johns River...
Haven't ever ruled out returning to Cedar Point Marina, but that would mean going back to Jacksonville
Basically, we'll be looking at areas from S. Georgia back into Florida
The search begins......

So, what's new with you? Staying where you are for now? So many choices! It's got to be hard to decide where to stay on the East Coast. I mean, a place to call home...... It isn't easy.

BTW - BLM gave me a turkey for Thanksgiving. I grilled it on the gas grill on dock 5 for 3 hours. It came out perfect. Cooking a turkey for three hours put a serious dent in my on board beer supply!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby Robin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:01 am

I'm looking hard at returning to the UK, buying a live board again and maybe basing it over the Channel in France where the slips are 60% cheaper with free electrics and wifi too, live aboard folk are not reviled as hobos and the cruising close by is good. Brexit if it ever actually happens is unhelpful, but we can do it by remaining as UK residents on an extended cruise, whilst being close enough to nip 'home' now and again for 'routine' medical matters if needs be, full out medical emergencies would still be covered under the humane treatment of all protocols Looked at a few very suitable boats, power and sail on line, although too early for us to act on other than in dreams.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1995/Westerly-Oceanranger-38-3022867/United-Kingdom#.WDz7cYWcHIV

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1988/Westerly-Oceanlord-41-2759695/United-Kingdom#.WDz8ZIWcHIV

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1984/Princess-41-3015235/United-Kingdom#.WDz8rIWcHIV

Time will tell and maybe we will resign ourselves to accepting life under the new presidential regime or better still win the lottery. :lol:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:22 pm

"At this point", we cannot find a place as nice and cheap as what we have here in Fernandina Beach. We are 10 mins from the beach and 10 mins from downtown .. Yet are all alone at a nice quiet marina with tons of wildlife.. Haven't given up, just in no rush....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Do you have any available transient slips? Maybe I can send some boats your way. Plenty of boats sticking around here longer than usual. Many make Fernandina Harbor Marina (now closed) their next stop as we have in the past. What marina are you in? I get asked daily about the status of various marinas south of here. I like helping out with local knowledge, so any info you can offer would be appreciated.

I wouldn't be in a rush to leave Fernandina, Capt. Charlie. It's a nice spot from what I've seen. We always enjoy our time there.

Next week will be interesting. We're picking up a crane in Jacksonville, and trucking some new docks to the marina. Hopefully, dock 1 will be in better shape next time you visit. Maybe even a little expansion. Possibly a breakwater in the near future as well.

Now, if I can just find the perfect marina software to bring us into the 21st century, and do away with mountains of paperwork, I'll be a happy camper. Anyone know someone that knows what the "go to" software is to operate a marina efficiently?

....And about those 32* temps forecast for thur/fri next week! NOT HAPPY!!!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 am

I'm at Egans Creek Marina... There are NO AMENITIES here.... Not even a restroom (now in all fairness, Tiger Point Marina, across the street does have restrooms, but that's about it. Both marinas are owned by the same people)... Tiger Point is for sailboats, Egans Creek is for powerboats (there is a fixed bridge between us with a 23' clearance at high tide).....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post I'm at Egans Creek Marina... There are NO AMENITIES here.... Not even a restroom (now in all fairness, Tiger Point Marina, across the street does have restrooms, but that's about it. Both marinas are owned by the same people)... Tiger Point is for sailboats, Egans Creek is for powerboats (there is a fixed bridge between us with a 23' clearance at high tide).....

Well, be on the lookout for a good-sized group of boats moving through your area. I heard they didn't want to pay the beer toll, so wouldn't be surprised if most haven't snuck past you by now. Sorry for the late warning, but I've been on the job today. I haven't seen this many boats leave the marina at one time before. More coming your way tomorrow, but will be leaving late due to the tide at Jekyll Creek. High isn't until about 11 am.

Hey, that 23' bridge should keep the salty sailors out!

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Return to “Living Aboard”