Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

45, 46, 47....?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: 45, 46, 47....?

Unread postby RTB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:35 pm

I know who you are referring to. I met Katie and Jessie in No Name Harbor. They left for the Bahamas right behind us. Cute little girls! https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/ Scallywag met them too, and helped them when they were in St.Augustine.

Personally, I really enjoyed their humor and absolutely incredible photography.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:09 pm

If you have the time, read their BLOG. They have had a life experience. They met beautiful people. Except for one in Daytona. They deleted this experience from their BLOG. They followed in one of their dad's loops. The dad started one and ended it before it was completed. Then he completed the second loop. Dad wanted his daughter to experience the loop and life. I was fortunate to meet the GIRLS in St. Augustine when they were docked at Hidden Harbor. They are up there with Robin Lee Graham and Tania Albei (sp). They all were young and their parents afforded them with the opportunity to investigate. Yes, I agree there are many on this site with a vast experience. Each an experience that differs but is interesting. Yes, bring on the seminars.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:49 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post Just wondering after reading through the thread again. How many of you have thought about sharing your experiences, cruising or living aboard. We attended the St. Petersburg Boat Show a couple of weeks ago and attended numerous seminars & presentations. Among them was a single young woman in her 20's who recently completed the loop with another woman partner aboard a 27 ft. sail boat. The trip included a jaunt to the Bahamas and they broke on the way back across the Gulf Stream. Fortunately, another boat couple they knew crossed just behind them and were able to tow them to Miami. The trip was full of incidents as always, but the tent was very full of couples who wanted to hear about this one-time experience.

When I think of seminars or presentations I would like to attend on cruising or living aboard, each of you would be capable of a sharing a vastly greater spectrum of experiences and advice when compared to this young woman who was apparently paid well to come from her Illinois home to this event and others. If any of you would have been offered as an alternative speaker, my Admiral and I would surely have chosen that more knowledgeable alternative.

As is often the case, all you have experienced may not have begin to come to its sum. Ten years from now, you could have another presentation to give, that is, the presentation on the "Responsibility to share your knowledge", even if it only to give others that opportunity to live vicariously through your experience.

Keep me informed as to if, when and where you start. I want to sign up.

There is 4 years of cruising info on our blog starting here - http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/247569 . Blogs suck unless things are moving forward. Trying to go back to the beginning, and work forward gets tedious. I had asked CaptForce if he had a blog, but he didn't. For me, I started ours so family and friends could follow along. Turns out, it's kind of cool to use as a tool to see where we were at a certain time in the past.

Scallywag and I were members on another (long gone) forum. I had two very long threads, as in thousands of posts, that are now gone. One was called "Going Cruising for Senior Citizens", where I was getting prepped to sell the home, and go cruising. The other was "Gone Cruising for Senior Citizens", once we sold all our land stuff and cut the lines for good. All of that info and many photos are gone for good. Along with that was a thread where I sailed from Green Cove Springs to Cartagena, Colombia with a
mutual friend of Scallywag's.

I guess what I like the most about where I am now, is the people. Cruisers that got here from all over the world. On my dock alone, is a couple that sailed their 34' boat here from Denmark. A solo sailor from Montreal. An Aussie couple that bought their boat in Panama and sailed here. Another Aussie couple that built their catamaran in South Africa, and sailed here. I've met Donna Lange here (twice around the world female solo sailor). I think I can safely say that here on the east coast, you are more likely to meet the most experienced sailors (that includes power, not just sail) in the USA.

Any story I could share would be boring, other than some very scary nights at anchor!

If CaptForce wrote a book about his and Nancy's life aboard.....I'd buy it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Just thought I'd give a bump to this thread in case there was any late news from the Aythya crew.

Leastwise, I can see where Robin is attracted to new live-aboard op's in Great Britain, based on this article.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017010 ... in-britain
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby Robin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post Just thought I'd give a bump to this thread in case there was any late news from the Aythya crew.

Leastwise, I can see where Robin is attracted to new live-aboard op's in Great Britain, based on this article.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017010 ... in-britain

There is certainly an opportunity for you to indulge in some creative TLC, Tex :lol: , not my scene however as I'm way too conventional, she says. :o
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:14 am

Nancie and I are spending a week in the North Carolina mountains before returning to Jacksonville. On the 20th of this month we will be taking the keys to a shoreside apartment. We will then be moving all our personal stuff off Aythya. Boats sell best when they are not full of the former owner's debris.

Aythya might not ever actually make it to the market. I will be getting an answer from my nephew in the next two weeks about his decision to buy Aythya and then I'll be passing the opportunity by RTB followed by a few others who wanted me to give them notice.

My boat won't be suitable for many. It's not a high performance cruiser, with it's shoal draft and wide beam with shrouds outside the hull. ... 'and it is an old boat, but I have kept up with refits and some upgrades. I will miss her, but I do recognize Nancie's physical limitations. I've been looking at a number of small "downeast" boats with an inboard diesel under an engine box. I realize that, as much as cruising, I'm addicted to working on my boat. I'll still be in the middle of projects on Aythya when I shift to working on my next, far smaller, boat.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am

Physical limitations are a very real concern. My better half has a hard time sitting, standing, or laying down when the weather turns. How the weather turns we do not know what weather causes the problem. No more dinners for the family due to too much standing. Now I pay for family dinners out. Since my accident, I am unstable on my feet at times. I also enjoy working on the s/v. When I find the youth pill maybe I will be able to travel. Seeing Jessie and Katie, made me feel young again. :lol:

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 am

Well, we're sure late to the cruising thing, and we'll never be able to obtain the cruising knowledge that you guys have, but it seems that this is going to be our best chance to actually get out there and do some. The plan after retirement was to spend a year or so to organize and get rid of the Admirals stuff. That's not going to happen. We're actually going to launch on this effort with this mass of stuff left intact and in storage here or in Germany. That's in addition to two other rental properties full of stuff and waiting for us to get back. This is not the way I imagined our exit to freedom. :(
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am

tex wrote:Source of the post Well, we're sure late to the cruising thing, and we'll never be able to obtain the cruising knowledge that you guys have, but it seems that this is going to be our best chance to actually get out there and do some. The plan after retirement was to spend a year or so to organize and get rid of the Admirals stuff. That's not going to happen. We're actually going to launch on this effort with this mass of stuff left intact and in storage here or in Germany. That's in addition to two other rental properties full of stuff and waiting for us to get back. This is not the way I imagined our exit to freedom. :(

Get out and do it whilst you can, we waited then I spoiled it by having a stroke. when we do go back 'home' it will be to live abosard for cost reasons primarily rather than cruising escape ones, although fortunately we had put in many thousands of sea miles whilst still working and living on dirt in Europe. we will still cruise but this time be much more picky about when to go and when not just to accomodate the ancient bones. OMG I even caught myself looking at a sailing catamaran (online) based in Gibralter but handy to either sail back to UK or cruise a bit of the Med first before the UK finally leaves the EU after the Brexit vote and we lose the reciprocal healthcare deal.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Well, I'm getting an even later start, but it looks as though it will be late April or early May before we complete the sale. So I will be heading south just when you are heading north. Ah well, such is life.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 pm

RTB wrote:....................
............ If CaptForce wrote a book about his and Nancy's life aboard.....I'd buy it. ......... Ralph

Thanks, Ralph, but I doubt if that would ever happen! ... but this does remind me of a favorite anecdote that I've shared before. When Nancie were first travelling south 45 years ago, we noticed that we held maps or charts differently. Nancie always held charts with the north up at the top and I always held charts so that they were aligned with our position. The destination was always at the top!

Imagine our first trip south from the Chesapeake in 1972! Nancie always held the chart with north at the top and I always held it with southh at the top.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 pm

WHat's a chart?/ :oops:

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 am

Robin wrote:Source of the post WHat's a chart?/ :oops:

I assume this is a reference, at play, with the technological change from paper charts, but they are still "charts" on the electronic screen, right? .....and there still remains the menu option of "north up" or "course up" on the electronic screen. Nancie and I continue to frame the world differently.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 am

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post
Robin wrote:Source of the post WHat's a chart?/ :oops:

I assume this is a reference, at play, with the technological change from paper charts, but they are still "charts" on the electronic screen, right? .....and there still remains the menu option of "north up" or "course up" on the electronic screen. Nancie and I continue to frame the world differently.

Quite correct and we do carry paper too, just a flippant response without engaging brain! Oh and our plotters have the electronic charts north up although I can see the advantage of course or head up if following the ICW roadway or similar when a road map might even be as good as a marine chart.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 am

Just read about the most expensive place to live on land. Hamilton Bermuda was first on the list. Nassau Bahamas was listed more expensive than New York City. I remember visiting a drug store on Freeport and a bag of potato chips was $7. We pay only $2 for the same size. So much for paradise.

Return to “Living Aboard”