Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Janice

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Janice

Unread postby scallywag » Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 am

Janice aboard Seaweed took a spill. Has been out of commission since April 2019. She has good advice for all of us. See her BLOG. Get well soon Janice....
Dot and John

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: Janice

Unread postby tex » Tue May 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Yeah, guess that tuna door project she was planning is on the back burner now! Fractures aren’t great for anyone, but a tiny munchkin like Janice who does much of her own maintenance, not good.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Janice, I hope you are well and m obile soon. Pain free wouldl also be good.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Unread postby janice142 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks and thanks for the nice greetings too. I'm getting better, albeit slower than I might wish.

As for Tex, yes you are correct. I won't be using Algae until the tuna door is built -- and that's no longer a Top Priority. I've put it off for next year. By then, I believe I'll be as good as I'll ever be.

The thing is, the arm itself should heal in a couple of months. Full recovery as most over 50 realize does not happen that quickly. For the time being I'll use Seaweed as my "dinghy" -- allowing her to take me to shore as needed. Here (Madeira Beach area of St. Petersburg) the local McDonald's has a dinghy dock. It is also adjacent to a Publix grocery store.

And too, while I'm rafted up, I can get rides to Walmart and such when offered. I don't like asking though, you know? And too, I tend to take longer than those on a Mission.

Women: shop
Men: buy.

There is a fundamental difference in many cases. I wander around and unless I'm on a mission, prefer that. Being hurried does not make for a pleasant experience. At least not for me.

Next week one of my friends will go out with me aboard Seaweed. I believe I can successfully anchor and dock solo, even with my bad arm. That said, a neighbor volunteered to ride with, just in case. I admit to going stir crazy being stuck here.

You have no idea how disappointed I was to fall. Mad at myself, sad that I wasn't going to get to go on the planned mini-cruise, and then too there was a bit of a Pity Party. Mostly though I was irritated that my carefully made plans could be fouled up by a moment of inattention.

I was focused on the Goal, not on what I was doing at present. Argh.
Too, it is a bit embarrassing. I'm Supposed to know what I'm doing.

Anyway, I'm working at that Humility thing. And getting better -- doing the exercises, not lifting, no pushing, no pulling, etc.
It's good to be back. I missed y'all.

I do have friends. This boy is bringing me another twig. He wants to make a next on my anchor locker. That is not going to happen. I keep giving him back his twigs.

[img]http:/janice142.com/images/DadWithAnotherTwig.jpg[/img]
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Fri May 31, 2019 4:49 am

Oh, Janice, you are so right! Especially the part about asking for rides, and shopping! :D I spend a lot of money I can''t aford on Uber bcause I'd rather schedule a ride than ask for one!

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Uber is good. In Gulfport, a local destination of sorts, there is a local cab gal who charges $5 per ride for any place in Gulfport. That's a pretty good deal except there aren't really any great grocery stores there. I'll admit I prefer Publix or the Walmart SuperCenter.

Publix has such wonderful produce... although I grow my own microgreens so that really isn't necessary. I've been on an apple kick too of late. And finally peaches, pears and nectarines are in season. It's wonderful, this time of the year.

You see, with the latest two solar panels, that put me over the edge for refrigeration (power generation equals cool fruit) and I LOVE having chilled apples, sliced with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Last time I was at the store there were even cherries. These are my first since last year. Yummy.

Anyway, I'm grateful for the power cord -- and no, I still haven't take Seaweed away from the dock. The arm is NOT cooperative. I may have to go back to the physical therapist for some more/different exercises. I've sort of peaked, and it's not where I want to be. Yet.

Hoping all is well with you. Thanks too for your nice note. I appreciate that.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Dang, Janice. I keep thinking about you bouncing around that boat and not being able to grip things where & when you need to. Who’s taking your puppy for walks and such? How about the pain? Hope that your therapist can come up with some healing tech! :?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Living Aboard”